“My God, it's full of stars...”

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

“My God, it's full of stars...”

Post by Portreve » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Gizmodo: Spooky 'Black Hole' on Jupiter Is Just a Big Shadow

It's really too bad Sir Arthur C. Clarke isn't alive to see this. I'm certain he and director Peter Hyams would both be stunned to see this as a naturally-occurring shot.
Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Xi does look like Winnie the Pooh. FTCG.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Re: “My God, it's full of stars...”

Post by lsemmens » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Thanks for that Portreve. It will be interesting to see what the future brings with further space exploration.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:11 pm

HEY...do i see NCC-1701 and "Klingons" in that black expanse too ???...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Very interesting,

had to post this up on Facebook....

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:05 am

For The Benefit Of Those Who Have Not Seen The Movie 2010

I know, it's hard to believe there are folks these days who are into technology and are actually not into science fiction.

What is wrong with you people?!?!? :lol:

For you folks, let me explain this thread's title and curious relevance.

Science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke (later knighted) wrote a short story in the 1960s which attracted the attention of American director Stanley Kubrick. Together, they collaborated on a full-length feature film which would become 2001: A Space Odyssey. The movie came out in 1968, and at the time was considered revolutionary and very likely helped to give the tv and film genre of sci-fi more credibility as a serious genre instead of just being "something for kids". (Side note: if you watch 2001 and the later 1979 film Star Trek: The Motion Picture back-to-back, you'll clearly see the stylistic influence 2001 had.)

The plot, in sum: Advanced aliens at a distant point in Earth's history intervened and influenced the development of life here, ultimately resulting in the rise of homo sapiens, and they left a detection system present in-system to let them know we advanced to the point of becoming a space-faring species.

Fast-forward to 1982, and Peter Hyams, working with Arthur C. Clarke, released the follow up, 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

The plot, in sum: The prior mission (as depicted in 2001) is generally deemed a failure, particularly in light of the events of that story and really nobody back on Earth knows for sure much about what exactly happened. The United States grudgingly agrees to cooperate with the Soviet Union on a joint mission back to Jupiter, where it is discovered what went wrong and why, and moreover it is revealed the aliens don't have their eye fixed solely upon Earth, but elsewhere as well.

What's relevant (having now gotten the backstory out of the way) is that Jupiter is deliberately collapsed through the addition to its mass in the form of (likely trillions or billions of trillions) of black obelisks, the eventual objective of which being to turn it into a star. During the course of the film, towards the last approximately third to quarter, we see a giant circular black spot on Jupiter which more-or-less looks like the penumbra being cast in the article originally linked to above by Jupiter's moon Io.
Last edited by Portreve on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:18 am

MASSIVE SPOILERS ALERT

The 2001/2010 films (and, by extension, 2061 and 3001 books) have had an impact on the genre of science fiction itself beyond merely ST:TMP as mentioned above.

Two examples of this of which I am aware come from the 1995 sci-fi tv series Babylon 5, by J. Michael Straczynski.

In 2010, the Soviet vessel Alexei Leonov is depicted as being a long ship with a rotating section in the middle as a method of generating artificial gravity (through the application of centripetal force) for what, presumably, are the main functional areas for the crew. JMS has stated it was the inspiration for the design of his series' Earth Alliance capitol ships, which on the whole visually resemble the Alexei Leonov, and have the same sort of rotating structure.

Moreover, though I'm not aware of JMS actually stating this, what we learn in the 2001 series of stories (film and book) is that the unseen, unnamed alien race is actually looking to either create or influence life on worlds throughout the galaxy, picking winners and losers and destroying those which it deems not to be successful. This is very similar to the Shadows of B5 which employ the strength-through-struggle, order-through-chaos (hat-tip to DAMIEN1307 and his signature line) methodology of advancing the general condition of sentient species throughout the galaxy.

It's in the book 3001 that we finally discover the aliens' true intentions and stop them from what will otherwise be an obliteration of civilization on Earth in favor of their newer effort on the terrestrialized moon Europa, of the former gas giant Jupiter, later dubbed Lucifer by the population of Earth.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:52 am

If only there was such a simple explanation for Saturn's hexagonal pole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn%27s_hexagon

The latest thinking is that it stands 180 miles above the adjacent clouds. I tell the gullible it is one end the giant nut and bolt that holds the planet together.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:21 pm

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:52 am
I tell the gullible it is one end the giant nut and bolt that holds the planet together.
As the gullible are often tools, this should make sense from their perspective. :wink: :lol:

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:32 am

Thanks Cliff, mad me smile! :D
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:20 am

cliffcoggin wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xd-H_6VCzo
Everything is electric.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 am

Pippin wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:20 am
cliffcoggin wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xd-H_6VCzo
Interesting but speculative and far from simple. I find Occam's razor to be a useful principle when judging the unknown, so I'll settle for the fluid dynamics explanation until more evidence comes to light.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”