murray
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 750 MB. WOW! "What would you do with SO MUCH hard disc space ?"

Post by murray » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:32 pm

Paul_Pedant wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:46 am
I started with ICL (UK computer manufacturer) in 1968
I see you live in Bath, Paul. I've not long come home from a holiday in the UK and we spent a day in Bath, a very beautiful place!
Running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:42 pm

The gas would do a great job of putting out the fire but was poisonous and would kill anyone in the room, so getting out quick was imperative!
The lonely death of the computer supporter... Sounds like Edgar Allan Poe in the digital age. Has no one ever been caught?
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Paul_Pedant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paul_Pedant » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Ah, the magic of Halon! Allegedly, it wouldn't poison you, but it diluted the existing oxygen fairly thoroughly.

The real risk was that it chilled as it expanded, and fogged up the whole room very effectively. So if you held your breath, put your head down, and ran for the door, you would probably go head-first into a pillar, a wall, or a cabinet, and knock yourself out.

Our problem was generally that they also fitted an emergency power button next to the door in case of electrical fire. It would be right next to the light switch or the door security release, so it got pushed by accident at least once a week. We just taped a plastic cup over it.

Rather later, we got a lot of neat little desk-side Unix boxes called the Perq 3. These had a rocker power switch, exactly where your knee would hit it when you sat down next to the desk it was under. A cigarette pack was exactly the right size to tape over the switch.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Paul_Pedant wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:18 pm
Ah, the magic of Halon! Allegedly, it wouldn't poison you, but it diluted the existing oxygen fairly thoroughly.

The real risk was that it chilled as it expanded, and fogged up the whole room very effectively. So if you held your breath, put your head down, and ran for the door, you would probably go head-first into a pillar, a wall, or a cabinet, and knock yourself out.

Our problem was generally that they also fitted an emergency power button next to the door in case of electrical fire. It would be right next to the light switch or the door security release, so it got pushed by accident at least once a week. We just taped a plastic cup over it.

Rather later, we got a lot of neat little desk-side Unix boxes called the Perq 3. These had a rocker power switch, exactly where your knee would hit it when you sat down next to the desk it was under. A cigarette pack was exactly the right size to tape over the switch.
If I understand you correctly, plastic cups and cigarette packs have saved both reckless supporters and perhaps the whole world - depending on which computer center was affected...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Paul_Pedant wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:18 pm
Yeah I think they were just trying to scare me (it worked!)

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:03 am

The world would never have survived were it not for cigarette packs, Cups, fencing wire and Gaffa tape. :D

I even managed to fix a radiator leak with a sheet metal screw once. It was still there when I sold the car some years later.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:05 am

I remember a guy I knew in the early 80s had a BASF box set up for running APL. He had in a 5 Megabyte HD in it and it cost about $2000 CDN at the time.

However, the old saying in computing that "data always multiplies to fill avaiable sttorage" is absolutely 100% true. People are running out of space on their HDs nowadays just as fast as they were back then. Of course they weren't using their computers as media boxes back then either.

vansloneker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vansloneker » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:21 pm

My 1st computer with an internal hard disk drive had no less than 10MB! Beat that!
Last edited by vansloneker on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

===============================================================================================================================Image

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 am

In the early eighties my father had bought a Sharp pocket computer, with BASIC programming language. As kids we installed a golf game, which existed of nothing else but a number counting down till zero. You had to press exactly the right time for the number to land on ZERO exactly, which meant you had scored a hole in one! We were totally obsessed and pleased with that incredibly simple game!

That Sharp pocket computer was my first contact with computers and I even learned some BASIC computer language. It had only 4Kb RAM and 40Kb System ROM!

sharp pocketcomputer.jpg

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:06 am

In 1984 I dealt with a 16 bit machine which had switches to load the boot program. The 7.25 MB plattered disk drive was as big as a table.The platters were in a pack and the packs were replaceable. There was a card reader and punch. Core memory was 40 Mb and it's size was as big as a full length cupboard.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 am
In the early eighties my father had bought a Sharp pocket computer, with BASIC programming language. As kids we installed a golf game, which existed of nothing else but a number counting down till zero. You had to press exactly the right time for the number to land on ZERO exactly, which meant you had scored a hole in one! We were totally obsessed and pleased with that incredibly simple game!
sharp pocketcomputer.jpg
About your device: around 1981 I bought myself a kind of a Casio calculator that was quite extended. It could calculate the third root and static mean values and it was also good as an egg timer and - by means of beeps - as a timer in the very analog darkroom... as an alarm clock anyway.
Was that my first computer?

murray
Level 4
Level 4

Post by murray » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Back in the mid 80's I had a Casio FX-790P which had 8KB of RAM, BASIC and assembler. I had it up until a few years ago when I finally threw it out because it stopped working.

Image Image

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 pm

I think my Casio should be somewhere deep, deep in a drawer: who knows? ...with new batteries?

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:15 am

absque fenestris wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 pm
I think my Casio should be somewhere deep, deep in a drawer: who knows? ...with new batteries?
I will look for that "computer" as well in my father's room. With new batteries those little machines will still work as smooth as before.

The line between a modern calculator and that Sharp/Casio pocket computer is indeed very thin. BUT I really did learn some BASIC computer language. Never had any use for it, but it was fun hobby anyway. I liked playing that golf game more though :D I definitely wanna play that game again with my brother...

Return to “Open chat”