AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Attempting to login to a Win10 laptop

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:52 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:55 am
Check the router page then, maybe it's "inactive" or some other interference.
I looked at the WiFi router and can't see anything that would prevent file sharing,
the Netgear Router Manager shows all of the devices that are logged in.

The printers work from the laptops and from my cellphone,

I live on six acres, there are no other WiFi routers anywhere close enough to interfere with mine.
Their signals are down in the mud, way down.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:57 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:33 am
Have you ever used

Code: Select all

gnome-screenshot -i
??

Also try Pinta.
ummm, ha ha, that is a Linux Command :mrgreen:

Win10 don't know what to do with it.
I tried that for grins on the Mint 18.3 laptop, which I can access from my Win10 laptop through NoMachine almost instantly.

it brought up the standard screenshot app that I use on Linux everyday.
I have the shortcut for that pinned to my Command Bar / Panel , whatever you want to call it.

I really really do appreciate all of the fine help from you guys, but somehow, these Win10 laptops are refusing to share with anyone.

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RollyShed » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:10 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:28 am
It will NOT access the external SDcard which is where all of my pictures default to.
It isn't supposed to. You are supposed to access the SDcard with your computer, decide which files you want to send somewhere and then send them. You have control.
And, it does not show me the icons so that I can scroll down and pick out just one or two pictures.
Not supposed to. You figure out what you want to send by looking at the SDcard on your screen on your computer. Otherwise why not plug the SDcard into your daughter's computer and get round it that way?
all images are DateTime stamped, useless to me. I can't see what the image is.
Toggle the file manager from list view to icon view maybe?
My daughter definitely will not put up with that at all,
and I am not going to either.
My partner and I use it all the time and she has no problems with starting it on her computer if she wants something from me or to send something to me.
I will say, that DUKTO is super easy to install and get started to work with.
We agree on something, good.
One other irritation, it will not perform unless the Remote Receiving PC/device has DUKTO up and running. Another No No for my daughter.
As above, we have no problems so why won't your daughter work with it?

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:25 am

You totally missed the point. the above is NOT user friendly, especially from a Smartphone.

We ARE NOT sharing between laptops.....

We are using our CELLPHONES to send pictures to our laptops.

ASUS file manager does that just fine with all of our Linux laptops.

for some reason, Win10 is not allowing us to share with it.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:27 am

That's a problem with windows. I do hope you aren't trying to do this with Homegroup.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RollyShed » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:47 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:25 am
You totally missed the point. the above is NOT user friendly, especially from a Smartphone.

I haven't missed the point as far as I can see. The photos are on your laptops from your cell phones ("ASUS file manager does that just fine with all of our Linux laptops."). OK? No problems there?

Then Dukto will allow moving "giving" to Windows 10 from the Linux laptops.
What computer is running Windows? A desktop? Another laptop?
I've used Dukto for two jobs in the past week for different people, files from Mint computers to Windows computers (that's 4 computers if you are counting). Only thing needed was to turn off the firewall on the Windows computers, something not always needed to be done and not done on previous occassions.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:31 am

RollyShed wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:47 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:25 am

I haven't missed the point as far as I can see. The photos are on your laptops from your cell phones ("ASUS file manager does that just fine with all of our Linux laptops."). OK? No problems there?

Then Dukto will allow moving "giving" to Windows 10 from the Linux laptops.
What computer is running Windows? A desktop? Another laptop?
I've used Dukto for two jobs in the past week for different people, files from Mint computers to Windows computers (that's 4 computers if you are counting). Only thing needed was to turn off the firewall on the Windows computers, something not always needed to be done and not done on previous occasions.
My daughter does not use Linux, she is a Windows person only. she uses ACCESS in her business, and Linux won't run ACCESS. Her computer is a Win10 laptop, 2 laptops actually, she has a 2nd one that is dedicated to a different part of her business.

a couple years ago, when she had Win7 on her laptops, she was able to use the cellphone to take pictures and upload them directly to her Win7 laptop.

Microsoft changed the game really tight somewhere with Win10 and ASUS FM can't log into Win10 on her, or my, Win10 laptops. The FIREWALL is OFF as of now, and I still can't log into Win10 from the cellphone.

The cellphone ASUS file manager logged into my Win7 Home Pro desktop last night just fine, just entered my username and password and bingo!! it was in.... why can't Win10 do the same?

You are asking her to upload her pictures to my Linux laptop, and then use DUKTO to send those pictures from Linux to her Win10 laptop. A very inconvenient extra step that she won't understand and they are in different locations.

Her cellphone like mine, stores all camera images on the external SDcard, and DUKTO does not access the SDcard. She currently is have to resort to using an old Sony digicam for the pictures, then pull the Sony's camera SDcard and put that into a Card Reader to move to the laptop. a PITA

I just want to fix Win10 so that it will allow for file sharing, and then all will be fixed in one fell swoop. She knows the ASUS File Manager, it is visual and easy to use. And it allows for "presorting" what she wants to transfer, Images only, Snapshots only, Videos only, Documents only.

DUKTO make you go thru multiple steps to find the files we want to send, and then they are just presented in DateTime order... and I did not find a way to force DUKTO to sort in "Most Recent" timestamp only order.

With DUKTO, I have yet to be able to find the last 4 images I made, 2 of them from the camera, two of them from snapshots on my phone. I UNINSTALLED DUKTO from my cellphone because it cannot see the SDcard, therefore, it is useless to me.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:43 am

Is it at all possible that these Win10 machines are all running on their "Public Network" settings not their "Private Network" settings?

If you go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center does it display your "active" network as Private or Public?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 am

One more point, just to be sure all of us are on the Same Page.

I just shut down my Win10 laptop and logged back in to verify I am using the correct password.

When the cellphone tries to log into the Win10 laptop, the popup says make sure the server is online

But, I see that same exact message if I mistype the password logging into the win7 pc.
I think it is a canned message that does not denote the actual problem.

"The Server" has to be online, or the cellphone would not be able to See the Win10 laptop on the network.... Right?

this image is from the cellphone, and JOHN10 is the Win10 laptop.

Last edited by AZgl1500 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:05 am

From the image, Asus File Manager can see the Windows share. Looks like you are having problem accessing the share.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 am

An odd question perhaps, but....are you and her using the same cable for the connection? Cellphones can have a "charging only" cable, for security reasons when charging a cellphone "on the road", and that looks the same as a charging + data cable. The difference is you have 2 power lines and 2 data lines on a USB cable, but a "charge only" cable only has the two power lines in them, no data lines.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 am
An odd question perhaps, but....are you and her using the same cable for the connection? Cellphones can have a "charging only" cable, for security reasons when charging a cellphone "on the road", and that looks the same as a charging + data cable. The difference is you have 2 power lines and 2 data lines on a USB cable, but a "charge only" cable only has the two power lines in them, no data lines.
No,
as I said before, we are using a WiFi network.

my laptop is on 5g, my daughter's is on 2.4g, but it is the same WiFi router, a Netgear AC-1000

Everything is via WiFi

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:05 am

altair4 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:43 am
Is it at all possible that these Win10 machines are all running on their "Public Network" settings not their "Private Network" settings?

If you go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center does it display your "active" network as Private or Public?
it is the WiFi on Private Network, I have the WiFi locked into a 12 digit password.
I don't trust the neighbors as far as I can throw them.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 am

athi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:05 am
From the image, Asus File Manager can see the Windows share. Looks like you are having problem accessing the share.
I agree, 'JOHN10' is the Win10 laptop I am concentrating on for right now.
Once I have that fixed, I will then fix the daughter's Win10 laptop.

So, the ASUS file manager is able to see the Win10 laptop on the network, just not able to log into it.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 am
athi wrote:

So, the ASUS file manager is able to see the Win10 laptop on the network, just not able to log into it.
When I used windows, I'm pretty sure if you wanted to connect from another computer, to a password connected share on that computer, you also needed another profile you could use on that computer, otherwise you'd not be able to connect to the share, but I may be remembering wrong.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:42 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 am
athi wrote:

When I used windows, I'm pretty sure if you wanted to connect from another computer, to a password connected share on that computer, you also needed another profile you could use on that computer, otherwise you'd not be able to connect to the share, but I may be remembering wrong.
Ummm,
I set the Win7 desktop PC up for sharing a few years back, long before I owned the current cellphone I am using now which is a Samsung Note8 and using the ASUS File Manager app

When I tried just last night, to log into the Win7 desktop, I used my personal account "John" and it worked the first time like clockwork.

So, there is something that I am missing on Win10 with sharing...

I have avoided learning Win10 like the plague, every since I met up with Linux Mint about 3 years ago.
But, I have a daughter trying to do her business accounts on a Win10 laptop with MS Access...
Therefore, I must figure this thing out.

I just now verified yet again, that the Firewall is turned off

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Just a thought as you seem to be having so many problems with doing it this way..

You could go via a free cloud service.
Onedrive (Microsoft) or Google Drive or a free DropBox account.

Personally I use DropBox as Android will automatically load camera pictures there if you direct it to do so.
The only fly in that ointment is that I have a feeling that the free DropBox account might now have a limit on how many devices it can be loaded onto.
It didn't used to but I have a suspicion that they might have changed that earlier this year...
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:59 pm

https://www.technig.com/network-ubuntu-and-windows-10/

https://www.technig.com/network-ubuntu-and-windows-10/

for wifi access, you may need to enter router programming, turn off any AP isolation setting,(keeps wifi users from accessing each other's shared folders) then also enter the Mac's of all those allowed on the wifi network, and set to block all others.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:35 pm

RIH wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Just a thought as you seem to be having so many problems with doing it this way..

You could go via a free cloud service.
Onedrive (Microsoft) or Google Drive or a free DropBox account.

Personally I use DropBox as Android will automatically load camera pictures there if you direct it to do so.
The only fly in that ointment is that I have a feeling that the free DropBox account might now have a limit on how many devices it can be loaded onto.
It didn't used to but I have a suspicion that they might have changed that earlier this year...
sigh!
that is an option, I will see how the daughter feels about that.

I am still trying to follow through with the info from the post just above this one, with no success at all. :(

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:49 pm

I am giving this project up, it just is NOT worth the pain and driving me to drink...
and I have never drank alcohol in my life.

My daughter created a special group on Facebook, and just uploads the pictures there, it is private, she does not allow anyone to access it at all.

So, many thanks for everyone's effort on this project, but it just is not going to happen.

This Win10 laptop I am using is being converted to Mint anyway...

I did try to have ASUS File Manager transfer the images to Google Drive, and it does work, but it is not near as fast as her just uploading to her Facebook group account and downloading them from there.

Return to “Open chat”