Codex Leicester and Leonardo Da Vinci

Chat about just about anything else
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Codex Leicester and Leonardo Da Vinci

Post by pascal111 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:31 pm

I heard that Bill Gates bought Codex Leicester by 30 million $, it's a huge amount of money, I'm curious what secrets are in that codex and why they are interesting in it, I heard too that Leonardo was writing with both hands and why he was doing that? any one has good oil about it, I hope he tell us.

https://youtu.be/HtHRvc1bPXo
Self-made poems and fables https://soundcloud.com/user-393369096

ACE_
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Codex Leicester and Leonardo Da Vinci

Post by ACE_ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm

Bill Gates did indeed purchase the Codex Leicester for $30 Million in 1994.

The Codex is just a collection of Leonardo da Vinci's manuscripts. What makes them interesting though is that some of his theories, at the time, were many decades ahead of what were eventually proven as fact, by other scholars. Outside of this, I don't believe that there are any secrets contained within the Codex.

The part that you referred to as da Vinci writing with both hands, that is actually called Mirror Writing and was something da Vinci did; writing words from right to left, on some of his notes. However, no one knows exactly why he did this.

Parts of the Codex were actually released by Bill Gates as the wallpaper of Windows 95.

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RollyShed » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:45 pm

There are 12 languages that are written from the right to the left (RTL): Arabic, Aramaic, Azeri, Divehi, Fula, Hebrew, Kurdish, N'ko, Persian, Rohingya, Syriac, Urdu

Why? Maybe originally writing was by chiselling in stone, the chisel held in the left hand, hammer in the right.

Asian languages are often written vertically.

https://iwishtobeapolyglot.wordpress.co ... t-to-left/
"The real purpose of Leonardo Da Vinci’s mirror writing remains unknown, although several theories have been put forward throughout the centuries. Some believe that, since many of his ideas disagreed with the teachings of the powerful Roman Catholic Church, he wanted to hide them from the public in order to save his head. Others say that he may have been concerned that his contemporaries (other well-known polymaths whom he saw as his ‘rivals’) would steal his ideas, and therefore made it harder for them to access the information from his private notes.

A third reason might be left handedness. ??

Numbers might be considered to be written right to left.

Codex
A codex (from the Latin caudex, meaning "trunk of a tree", “block of wood” or “book”).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Leicester
The Codex Leicester (also briefly known as Codex Hammer) is a collection of scientific writings by Leonardo da Vinci. The Codex is named after Thomas Coke, later created Earl of Leicester, who purchased it in 1719.

It was sold to Bill Gates at Christie's auction house on 11 November 1994 in New York for US$30,802,500 (equivalent to $53,222,898.79 as of 2019).

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Why? Maybe originally writing was by chiselling in stone, the chisel held in the left hand, hammer in the right.

Pretty painful times for a left-handed stonecutter. But maybe it was also allowed to change the tools...?

Apart from that, writing - carved in stone - is rather the exception, but it remains best preserved. Leather, paper-like materials, bark, woven fabrics have long been in use, along with wax and clay tablets.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:42 am

For me, da Vinci is on a short list of truly great independent thinkers who singularly made massive contributions to our civilization.

I wonder what he would think of the modern world.

Along similar-ish lines, I just read Gil Gerard has been attached to a new Buck Rogers project as a producer, titled simply 2491. I've always been fascinated by the concept of person-out-of-time, and what they make of and how they react to that sort of experience.
Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Xi does look like Winnie the Pooh. FTCG.

pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:26 am

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:45 pm
There are 12 languages that are written from the right to the left (RTL): Arabic, Aramaic, Azeri, Divehi, Fula, Hebrew, Kurdish, N'ko, Persian, Rohingya, Syriac, Urdu

I looked in Google for Arabic writing in stones but I didn't find what can give me a satisfying answer for the Arabic font at the best age of fluent Arabic, that font is the same current one but some small changing in the grammar of writing some words, but the letters are the same, problem is that I think that font is so difficult to be written in stone, it's connected smooth font. I think right to left direction was depending on spiritual considerations, many times spirituality and things beyond nature can be the reason behind actions in reality, I think that we are not sure how languages came from but we have scientific theories but need proofs.
Self-made poems and fables https://soundcloud.com/user-393369096

Return to “Open chat”