Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 am YeeHaw! Spring is on the way, and that means prime photography weather, the start of tubing season on the local rivers, no more stupid mask rules, and BLUEBONNETS!
I have family in TX and the misguided lifting of mask mandates and opening up the State has me worried for their safety. Every time people have ignored CDC guidelines (which are not stupid!), such as masking up, social distancing, etc., there has been a surge in Covid-19 cases and deaths. This pandemic is far from over.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Mostly they are optional now. Most places will ask you to keep wearing the thing. But since I have had the shots, I am glad I have the option.
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021 ... lines.html

I think I will stick to these guidelines for a while. Better to be safe than sorry
The vaccines seem to be working and I have more faith in science guys over
politicians...........r
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 am Mostly they are optional now. Most places will ask you to keep wearing the thing. But since I have had the shots, I am glad I have the option.
Optional is indeed the operative word. When grocery shopping wearing a mask makes sense. But nice to have the option if stepping inside the mini mart by the gas pumps where it is just you and the clerk who is already behind the plexiglass.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Optional is indeed the operative word.
Masks are more about stopping others catching it from you and not the other way round. The evidence is yet to come in on whether vaccination stops you from transmitting the virus to others. As a result, although I've had my first shot, I will continue to wear a mask when out and about.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rumpus wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:40 am https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021 ... lines.html

I think I will stick to these guidelines for a while. Better to be safe than sorry
The vaccines seem to be working and I have more faith in science guys over
politicians...........r
I'm definitely sticking to the guidelines even though I've had both shots. Keep in mind that the shots are only 95% effective. In other words, there is still a 5% chance you may still get the nasty little bugger even if you get the shot. For something so nasty (even if it doesn't kill you, it can leave you with extremely and/or debilitating aftereffects), I'm definitely not taking any more chances than I absolutely have to.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
csqwared
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csqwared »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 am YeeHaw! Spring is on the way, and that means prime photography weather, the start of tubing season on the local rivers, no more stupid mask rules, and BLUEBONNETS!
https://www.travelingmom.com/free-texas ... uebonnets/

Won't be doing away with my mask anytime soon though. Relaxation of the rules seems to me to be a bit dangerous as it is leading people to think they are safe(er). Then we'll be back to square one. :(
By 'eck. It's grim up North.
Cinnamon 19.3
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

The interesting(?) thing about masks was that WHO (World Health Organisation) didn't think they were worthwhile and would look in it, beginning of 2020. At the time my partner and her friends were making them in quantity as we knew more than the WHO, especially as there were pictures and movies of vapour cloud formation by people breathing especially in colder temperatures, shown on the web.

WHO should have pushed for the use of them right at the start and then looked into whether they were or were not effective, not the other way round. A bit of stupidity there by people who should have known better.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

@MurphCID

If your favorite coffee shop is closing, and if they sell their coffee in bags (like beans for DIY grinders), buy a f**kton of those bags so you could still enjoy or 'savor the flavor' whatever with your very own coffeemaker at home.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

shedyed wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:32 pm @MurphCID

If your favorite coffee shop is closing, and if they sell their coffee in bags (like beans for DIY grinders), buy a f**kton of those bags so you could still enjoy or 'savor the flavor' whatever with your very own coffeemaker at home.
They closed a while back, and boy, do I miss them. They were not really close, but well worth the drive. Their landlord jacked their rent and they could not stay in business. Karma gets you because their store has remained empty ever since. I bet the landlord is regretting that he pulled that move.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

YES! It is my friday event again, so I am at Black Rifle Coffee with the little Lemur Pro, having a cup of Joe, and getting ready to go eat at my favorite Indian place. I am so glad I can get back to normal! I have already been asked what sort of computer i am using and I tell them "A linux machine of course!" Good questions on Mint and Linux in general.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I tried to help my sister out, her Windows laptops keep going on the fritz.

so, I set up a Dell laptop with 18.3 Cinnamon on it 2 or 3 years ago, and it works like a champ,

except, she hates Linux because nothing is where it belongs

wasted my time... almost, at one point, it was the only PC in the house that would work so she could get to her email.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:45 am YES! It is my friday event again, so I am at Black Rifle Coffee with the little Lemur Pro, having a cup of Joe, and getting ready to go eat at my favorite Indian place. I am so glad I can get back to normal! I have already been asked what sort of computer i am using and I tell them "A linux machine of course!" Good questions on Mint and Linux in general.
Finally: a worthy expenditure of time! :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:55 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:45 am YES! It is my friday event again, so I am at Black Rifle Coffee with the little Lemur Pro, having a cup of Joe, and getting ready to go eat at my favorite Indian place. I am so glad I can get back to normal! I have already been asked what sort of computer i am using and I tell them "A linux machine of course!" Good questions on Mint and Linux in general.
Finally: a worthy expenditure of time! :lol:
Yes, yes it was. I had a reasonably decent time, and got some net surfing done. Now today, I am binge watching the Millennium Trilogy while playing on the Darter Pro. You know this computer has one of the best keyboards I have ever used, but I just do not like it for some unknown reason.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:54 pm
Yes, yes it was. I had a reasonably decent time, and got some net surfing done. Now today, I am binge watching the Millennium Trilogy while playing on the Darter Pro. You know this computer has one of the best keyboards I have ever used, but I just do not like it for some unknown reason.
The best keyboard that I have ever used, was on the old Compact Workstations.
the ones we had at my former employer, were the "Hall Effect" keys that will register the keystroke at about 2/3rds of the way down.... 8)
I saved one of those to bring home, and sadly, it is way too large and clunky to use with a laptop.

none of that tacky, almost registered, and mostly skips, mylar keyboards....
this very expensive ASUS TUF laptop has a junky keyboard, the Caps key continually refuses to register and I get lowercase output.... makes me use LO Writer to create my "manuscripts" :mrgreen: for the forums, as that will at least capitalize the 1st letter of each sentence.

the Keycaps are junk also, if I were not a 'touch typist', I would be lost with this one.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I think two of my all-time favorite keyboards from a tactile feeling standpoint are Microsoft's original PS/2 interfaced Natural Keyboard and IBM's PC XT keyboard. I bought the newer, PS/2 & USB-interfaced Natural Pro, and I had it for quite a number of years. I don't really remember any more why I got rid of it, and I wish to goodness I hadn't.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Back at Black Rifle Coffee. Using Linux while drinking coffee, does the world get any better? Also listening to Learn Linux TV on Youtube. This week at work has been terrible, so I need the time off. Next mission: Mow the grass, which desperate needs a good trimming.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:28 am Back at Black Rifle Coffee. Using Linux while drinking coffee, does the world get any better? Also listening to Learn Linux TV on Youtube. This week at work has been terrible, so I need the time off. Next mission: Mow the grass, which desperate needs a good trimming.
that shop did not exist when I was there in 1964 courtesy of USAF, and Linux did not either, actually.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Black ... 98.4843537
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The Live Oaks are flowering, and the pollen is high, so I am miserable. Plus a cold front came through and dropped temperatures down to the upper 40's last night, with a high in the 70's today.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

While driving to East Texas you are dodging possums and armadillos on the highway! Highway 21 is two lanes and wooded. Lordy I LOVE Nacogodoches! My alma Mater is the University here. I graduated far, far too many years ago.

Return to “Open Chat”