Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:41 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 pm Another 50 degree F drop in temps with 20-40 mph winds. Record high yesterday, cold today. Texas; if you don't like the weather wait five minutes......
we on the north border are enjoying life today

snow.png
My wife would be miserable. She hates anything below 68F.
markz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markz »

Texas seems nice from what I hear, I also heard Austin is pretty amazing. All the comedians moving there seem to love it there, Joe Rogan Experience, Kill Tony Hinchecliff, and others. I just dont know, is there any decent size lakes around? The Gulf of Mexico is pretty polluted, I was thinking Florida on its east coast or central/south america west coast, brazil east coast. So many options, but Texas is on my list of places to visit when I take my big road trip. I guess if you were to live in Texas you'd need a generator to keep the essentials running just in case. Yeah I will have to look into Texas some more, they and Florida are experiencing some righteous American Freedoms there, well in some respects I guess in other respects not so much if you were young baby bearing age.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

markz wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:04 am Texas seems nice from what I hear, I also heard Austin is pretty amazing. All the comedians moving there seem to love it there, Joe Rogan Experience, Kill Tony Hinchecliff, and others. I just dont know, is there any decent size lakes around? The Gulf of Mexico is pretty polluted, I was thinking Florida on its east coast or central/south america west coast, brazil east coast. So many options, but Texas is on my list of places to visit when I take my big road trip. I guess if you were to live in Texas you'd need a generator to keep the essentials running just in case. Yeah I will have to look into Texas some more, they and Florida are experiencing some righteous American Freedoms there, well in some respects I guess in other respects not so much if you were young baby bearing age.
Austin is freaksville, but it has some very nice camera and bookstores. The Gulf is brown, what more can I say, the water is brown. Now there is a lot to appreciate about Texas, in many places we have excellent schools, as well as lots to see and do. Plus you have lots of varied regions, everything from heavy forest to semi-desert. Just know that in most places east of IH-35 it is HUMID. Best way to see Texas is to get off the interstate, and use the backroads.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

@ markz

I live in a small rural town in southeast Texas so I know what I speak of.

My wife's oldest niece lives in Kyle, Texas which is just southwest of the large city of Austin. She works in Austin. She told me crime is a big issue for Austin and in her own words, "Austin is run by far left politicians who cater to criminals". In other words, Austin is "soft on crime". But most of the people in Austin are far left in their political leanings and voted for these types of politicians so they got what they voted for which is a high crime rate.

As for the Gulf of Mexico being polluted, what are you basing that statement on? From the link below, the beachfront water is not polluted. And you can see the bacteria levels at the beachfront at the link below.

https://cgis.glo.texas.gov/Beachwatch/

The brown water color is because the depth of the water is very shallow along the Texas coastline. In some places on the Bolivar Peninsula on the upper Texas coast, you can walk out almost 100 yards and only be in chest high water. Where as on the East or West coasts of the US, walk out 10 yards and the water will be over your head.

Since the water is shallow, the Gulf of Mexico has a lot of brown colored sand in the shallow water. If the wind is coming from the south or southwest direction lets say over 12 mph in wind speed, the beachfront water turns brown because the waves churn up the brown colored sand on the bottom causing lots of brown sand in suspension.

But if the wind direction comes from the southeast at 11 mph or less, the water color is usually sandy green to green since the waves do not churn up the bottom brown colored sand.

I prone surf since I have one 9'3" longboard surfboard and standup paddle surf since I own four of these standup paddleboards (sups) ranging in length from 8'11" to 11'1" (these lengths are in feet and inches if you don't live in the US). If the water was polluted, I wouldn't go to the Gulf of Mexico to surf, swim, catch fish and catch blue crabs to eat.

I've lived in Texas since 1966 when my parents moved to Texas from New Jersey and I have seen temperatures go below 10 degrees F only two times since 1966. I don't own a power generator either and never have. The temperature where I live, as I type this post, is 45 degrees F. Not too cold for a morning low temperature for the middle of January.

Texas does have wild temperature swings. This upcoming Saturday and Sunday mornings, it will be a around 32 degrees F at daylight. Next week, the daytime high temperatures will be in the 40's and 50's for a few days and then it will start to warm up again where it will be in the high 60's to low 70's for daytime temperatures.

And I will start surfing the waves again, without a wetsuit, when the beachfront water temperature reaches 66 degrees F (which is my minimum water temperature comfort zone) which should happen in the third week of March.

As of this morning, as I type this post, the beachfront water temperature at Surfside, Texas; which is my favorite place to surf, is 59 degrees F. The Gulfstream is a warm water current and this is why the beachfront water temperature all along the Texas coastline is not too cold during the Winter. You can see the beachfront water temperature (WTMP) for Surfside at the link below.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page. ... tion=fpst2

BTW, Texas is a good state to live in. We have no state income tax and our taxes are low because Texas is basically a red state (conservative) which means outside of the big blue cities (liberal), "we keep a tight leash on our state politicians". If my memory serves me correctly, of the 254 counties in Texas, 224 are solidly red (lean right) and the other 30 counties are blue (lean left) in their political leanings. Hence, the red rural counties, politically speaking, control Texas.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 amThe Gulf is brown, what more can I say, the water is brown.
May not be as pretty, but shrimp, crabs, oysters and fish really seem to like it.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:01 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 amThe Gulf is brown, what more can I say, the water is brown.
May not be as pretty, but shrimp, crabs, oysters and fish really seem to like it.
No kidding, I love Gulf seafood!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Here we go again:

Today expecting 75 degrees
Tomorrow winter storm watch

:D
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

it is a weird mix of the Wx here in grassland.

Wx.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It hit about 2000 hours last night, and within 15 minutes I was sneezing, eye watering, head stuffy from all the pollen. It is cold right now 37F, but supposed to get colder during the day.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Warm and rainy now. Wednesday night a cold front arrives and drops things into the 20's (F), then three days later back up to a high in the mid 70's (F) during the day. Texas, if you do not like the weather, wait five minutes.....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

going to be nice and warm today at 60*F

have to get outside the house shortly, our car needs new Spark Plugs, and possibly a Coil over Plug ignitor which is $93.00 bux. :roll:

also, I have to get my cellphone fixed, someone broke off a headphone plug in the jack, so I can't use my headphones with the cellphone. :(

at the moment, I feel great, go outside and stay a while, sniff sniff,
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

This is going to be *!&!$!! miserable tomorrow. We have my brother in laws funeral, the rain, sleet and hail are supposed to be in full swing at the time of the service. The weather service is issuing dire warnings about icy overpasses, etc. They are predicting in addition to said rain, sleet and hail, a wind chill of 9 degrees F. With a bum knee, ice, and me being a pall bearer, it is going to be just lovely.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

light skiff of snow here this morning,
got the spark plugs in the car.... removing that 'Pretty Plastic top" off the engine, revealed oil leaks.
sigh...

I changed out the plugs, engine runs smoother now, the old ones were almost gone...

also saw that the Serpentine belt is needing replacement 'now', called a mechanic to do the seal changes for the Coil Over spark igniters and install a new belt.

Prayers for you with the family issues, funerals are never fun.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Just back, roads are shutting down, wrecks everywhere. No burial, the cemetary flooded last night, so just a service and burial sometime next week. Ice on all surfaces. Winter (all three days of it) has come to south Texas.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

North Texas here. Today we had freezing rain, snow and sleet. Can't wait for the drive home!
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Snow packed on our driveway, too dangerous to go out and get the mail.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:05 pm Just back, roads are shutting down, wrecks everywhere. No burial, the cemetary flooded last night, so just a service and burial sometime next week. Ice on all surfaces. Winter (all three days of it) has come to south Texas.
I've got friends and family up in the rustbelt zone of states. When watching the national news reporting their road conditions and such I can reflect on the differences living here. Yes we may get wintry conditions but usually within just a day or two the thoughts shift to does the grass need mowing? Not wondering if the packed ice on the
driveway can be broken up yet.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

No one down here knows how to drive in ice. Tomorrow 70F as the high. So back to shorts.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:33 am No one down here knows how to drive in ice. Tomorrow 70F as the high. So back to shorts.
just being funny, but don't you mean how to drive " ON ICE "
that slick, oily stuff that mother nature slings out to foil our I D I O T drivers.

that is an ID 10 Error ya know :mrgreen:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:33 am No one down here knows how to drive in ice. Tomorrow 70F as the high. So back to shorts.
That's like rain here in AZ. Six drops hit the ground and most drivers here turn into bigger idiots than they usually are.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”