Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:08 am Oddly lots of rain here and I am NOT complaining. The only issue is the swarming mosquitos, some of which are large enough to require landing lights.
just got back from having new tires installed on my little scooter, and I found the lost landing lights for your Mosquitoes.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:26 am
BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:07 am
chiefjim wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:46 pm Those skeeters are a pain but I'd rather deal with them over the noseeums. For those unfamiliar with the term they are indeed real. Sometimes called no-see-ums.
I'll take your no-see-ums if you take full ownership of chiggers.
You win. Chiggers are the worst!

I did find any lotion or cream with menthol will dramatically reduce the itch.
Yeah Chiggers are even worse. Hands down, no contest.
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldun »

Of course in Australia we also have Chiggers in the wet tropics (Darwin etc). These little darlings can carry Bush Typhus, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_typhus not something to take lightly!
We Aussies just love to have the most things that can kill and or maim you in the world!
Lenovo T480s i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 21.2 Victoria
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:22 am Yeah Chiggers are even worse. Hands down, no contest.
An even nastier nasty is the chigoe flea (a.k.a. the sand flea). I have never experienced them first hand, but some friends crossed paths with chigoes on their honeymoon in Belize.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Oldun wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:35 pm Of course in Australia we also have Chiggers in the wet tropics (Darwin etc). These little darlings can carry Bush Typhus, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_typhus not something to take lightly!
We Aussies just love to have the most things that can kill and or maim you in the world!
Yeah why is it that it seems like 99% of Aussie Flora and Fauna is deadly? Everything from Tai Pan snakes, to spiders, to the ever deadly drop bears.....
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Yeah why is it that it seems like 99% of Aussie Flora and Fauna is deadly? Everything from Tai Pan snakes, to spiders, to the ever deadly drop bears.....
Its like a really drop dead gorgeous lady...so beautiful yet so deadly and poisonous...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4j1LtCdww
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

You know I should know better by now. Every.single.time. Every single time I say to myself; "I have seen it all it just cannot get weirder". And every single time, something happens that just leaves me shaking my head going: "Well didn't see that one coming, but man, that is weird!" Every.single.time.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

This has been the wettest summer I can remember. I AM NOT complaining, because we need the rain. It is making my grass grow, which is nice. However the various critters are swarming as is the mold count.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

It is making my grass grow,
No grass to grow here at my home in Alamogordo NM...surrounded by gravel and cactus in the high desert...But the monsoon rains here are certainly making the mesquite thorns and goatheads grow in a prolific fashion...lol...DAMIEN
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 pm This has been the wettest summer I can remember. I AM NOT complaining, because we need the rain. It is making my grass grow, which is nice. However the various critters are swarming as is the mold count.
It has very wet in SE Mississippi, too. My blueberry bushes loved the extra water, and I had one of the best harvests ever. I am sure my pear trees, quince tree, and mayhaw bushes would have over-produced, too ... if we had not had a hard freeze just as everything was starting to bloom. Yet another Killing of the Fruit Trees Festival. :(

This rain has ruined my vegetable garden. My tomato plants are heavy with fruit, but it all busts and rots of the vine. Okra and peppers need hot and dry. The only thing doing well is the basil, and this is the first year I have ever had more than I can use.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:08 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 pm This has been the wettest summer I can remember. I AM NOT complaining, because we need the rain. It is making my grass grow, which is nice. However the various critters are swarming as is the mold count.
It has very wet in SE Mississippi, too. My blueberry bushes loved the extra water, and I had one of the best harvests ever. I am sure my pear trees, quince tree, and mayhaw bushes would have over-produced, too ... if we had not had a hard freeze just as everything was starting to bloom. Yet another Killing of the Fruit Trees Festival. :(

This rain has ruined my vegetable garden. My tomato plants are heavy with fruit, but it all busts and rots of the vine. Okra and peppers need hot and dry. The only thing doing well is the basil, and this is the first year I have ever had more than I can use.
Yes Okra and peppers are not doing well. I am looking forward to having a decent Pecan harvest later on in the year.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Speaking of critters I noticed an abundance of toads. That is until a family of hawks took up residence. Side benefit is pesky squirrels too nervous to come out.

Hawks are rather trusting as well. Neighbor was spraying garden with a hose. One took the time to enjoy the shower provided by the human.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

93*F here and this in Oologah, OkieDokie land.
Humidity.png

but we are okay, but gonna have one Heck of an Electric bill for this month :?

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Screenshot from 2021-07-23 17-07-14.png
A little cooler here (76F), but most of this week has been 30C/86F or worse and we have no AC.

An Arduino project I did a couple of years ago :) .
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

93*F here and this in Oologah, OkieDokie land.
A little cooler here (76F), but most of this week has been 30C/86F or worse and we have no AC.
Its only 76F here in Alamogordo NM as well which is quite unusual for us here in the high desert only about an hour or so from the Mexican border...Looks like rain as well which is sorely needed...Humidty @ 45%, dew point at 53%...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

It's been nasty here in my neck of the desert with humidity levels dancing around 40% or more (outrageously high for this part of AZ), especially earlier in the mornings after a night of scattered thunderstorms, many with damaging winds. It rained off and on all night in my little corner of the desert and, currently, the temperature 74° and the humidity is 99%. It is MISERABLE inside my house. I normally have my AC set to 78° in the house at night (80° during the day) but, despite being 74° outside, I had to turn the AC down to 76° just to get some sleep this morning. I feel like I'm in the coldest sauna ever. :roll:

At least, when I get thirsty, all I have to do is inhale and swallow. :?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have a friend in Glendale and were talking about how humid it is..

he commented that in Glendale, AZ that the water temp out of the cold water faucet is 96*F and 100% humidity :P

I completely believe that, having lived there for 20 years..... and taking warm showers out of the Cold Water side...
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Getting massive downpour right now, (Monsoon), as of 1:15 PM MDT...lol...We need this rain but its coming down so fast that there will be flooding in various parts of town...DAMIEN

Ps...Real nice thunder boomers as well...lol.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:24 pm Getting massive downpour right now, (Monsoon), as of 1:15 PM MDT...lol...We need this rain but its coming down so fast that there will be flooding in various parts of town...DAMIEN

I remember those monsoons with Pacific moisture coming up from the SW. Back in the 80's my parents had a summer place near Ruidoso (Alto Lakes). I remember the lightning, too - it would clear the golfers off the course quickly. I love that country out there - lived in El Paso in the 50's when I was a boy - many trips through Alamagordo to Cloudcroft or Ruidoso.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

slipstick wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:13 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:24 pm Getting massive downpour right now, (Monsoon), as of 1:15 PM MDT...lol...We need this rain but its coming down so fast that there will be flooding in various parts of town...DAMIEN

I remember those monsoons with Pacific moisture coming up from the SW. Back in the 80's my parents had a summer place near Ruidoso (Alto Lakes). I remember the lightning, too - it would clear the golfers off the course quickly. I love that country out there - lived in El Paso in the 50's when I was a boy - many trips through Alamogordo to Cloudcroft or Ruidoso.
I worked all of that country from 1979 through 1991, based out of Roswell, NM for a while, then out of Edgewood, NM for the rest of that time.

Prior to that, lived in between Dumas, TX and Borger, TX on a pipeline property in company house, between 1969 to 1979.
Vacations and weekend trips covered from Lubbuck, TX to Raton, NM to Kansas to Elk City, OK....
all of that good oilfield areas...

From 1991 to 2011 lived in Mesa, Aridzona working for the Phx Fire department doing computer repairs in the Apparatus and Station houses. 271 fire stations in my area, with approximately a minimum of 3 pieces of equipment at each one, everyone equipped with a laptop for the 911 CAD system....

our internal CAD team developed the first ever, Yellow Brick Road for Fire Services, when a dispatch went out, it brought up their laptop screen to the Map page and showed them where to drive so as to avoid the wrong way, one One Way streets.

I still have a few pieces of the hardware I used to maintain that stuff back when it ran on Win95, then WinXP and later Win7. it was never updated after that, stayed on Win7 because Win8 was too flaky for Fire Department use. We got Extended Security Updates for 10 years after it all expired.

no clue what they are using now, I retired 12/2010.

Return to “Open Chat”