Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by MurphCID »

More rain. Lots more rain. Unusually large amounts of rain. Not complaining, just puzzled since we normally are praying for rain, I just hope this is not all the rain for the rest of the year.....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:18 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:05 pm We have had so much rain that we are pretty much saturated. My grass is actually green, and growing (Amazing!).
much the same here,
I have had to cut the grass with it still damp, which causes the grass to pack up under the mower deck :evil: :evil:

we are not getting enough dry days to allow cutting grass w/o it packing up under the deck.
Bermuda is a popular lawn grass since it withstands our blistering summer heat well but it tends to die back during the winter. A few decades ago, when I had a lawn, I made the horrible mistake of sowing rye grass over the Bermuda for a winter lawn. I got a nice green lawn from it but that stuff grew like weeds on steroids (I'm convinced I could see it grow), needing far more frequent mowing, and that stuff would form a thick, nasty, green mush under the mower that, if it wasn't scooped and hosed out immediately after mowing, would harden like green concrete. :roll: It took three years for that "crop" (more like crap) to finally completely die out over summer.
Agreed, Rye grass is "wet" grass and sucks to mow. However it looks decent.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:21 pm Beat the system: buy a simple coffee grinder, buy a fresh bag of your favourite coffee beans, and brew your own by hand. The secret is to grind only the beans you need for one brew: that way, you always have freshly ground beans. Which is essential for the aroma.

It's what I do; nothing beats my own coffee. :mrgreen:
Is the taste of coffee with freshly grounded beens different than coffee beans ground only once?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:48 am
Pjotr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:21 pm Beat the system: buy a simple coffee grinder, buy a fresh bag of your favourite coffee beans, and brew your own by hand. The secret is to grind only the beans you need for one brew: that way, you always have freshly ground beans. Which is essential for the aroma.

Is the taste of coffee with freshly grounded beens different than coffee beans ground only once?
Yes sir. I recommend to try it. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:19 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:48 am

Yes sir. I recommend to try it. :)
Hmmm, Methinks that we must have jumped into a virtual Tardis and ended up in Coffee City, Texas.

How else can this unusual transmogrification be explained?

Over to you, Doctor Who.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

More rain. Lots more rain. Unusually large amounts of rain. Not complaining, just puzzled since we normally are praying for rain, I just hope this is not all the rain for the rest of the year.....
Our neighbours in Texas are getting drowned and waiting for the Ark, while us guys right next door to Texas here in New Mexico are having quite the drought in the lower half of the state...Im only an hour and a half drive from El Paso Texas...lol...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:45 am
yes it is,
I have been automatically backing off the HydroStatic drive pedal and just inching through it so all of the Debris exits out the side chute.

If I don't, it just packs up under the deck, and pretty soon, you get the "it sounds like an Airplane" sound when the blades start hitting the solid pack

if it ever dries out here again, I need to put the front of the mower on the lift, and drop the blades.
we live on top of a quarry it seems, and lots of boulders sticking up near blade height......

if we don't keep the grass mowed neat, those solid lumps of granite do a real number on the blades :shock: :? :x :cry: :evil:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:19 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:45 am
yes it is,
I have been automatically backing off the HydroStatic drive pedal and just inching through it so all of the Debris exits out the side chute.

If I don't, it just packs up under the deck, and pretty soon, you get the "it sounds like an Airplane" sound when the blades start hitting the solid pack

if it ever dries out here again, I need to put the front of the mower on the lift, and drop the blades.
we live on top of a quarry it seems, and lots of boulders sticking up near blade height......

if we don't keep the grass mowed neat, those solid lumps of granite do a real number on the blades :shock: :? :x :cry: :evil:
I feel your pain.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

You know I am rapidly starting to think that if I did not have bad luck, I would have no luck at all. So far this week: cracked a tooth and no dentist was available until yesterday, today I go get it "fixed" (most likely a crown). Then this morning while walking, I looked up and a possum lunged at me from the top of a fence (apparently I scared it as much as it scared me), fell, broke my glasses, gave myself a black eye, and possibly a sprained wrist ( plus various abrasions, and contusions). Yelled at for not doing something at work that I was not supposed to do. Ugh, can this week end peacefully?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

@MurphCID: Yes, I recognize such days in my own life.... So many things go south, that it almost becomes comical.

It's like the old saying: "Death grins at us all. The best we can do, is grin back." So whenever it happens to me, I try to see the humour of it, laugh like a peasant with toothache (Dutch saying, especially to the point in this case, haha) and just keep on breathing until the bad spell ends. :P
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Bad luck comes in threes so you've had your three and the rest of the week should be good. Hang in there!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Back, get the final crown in four weeks. Have Novocain mouth right now. The dentist was the best I have ever attended, I am really impressed.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Went out for my walk this morning at my usual time of 0330 hours, and the humidity was so dense that the streetlights looked like they had a halo around them from the moisture. It was miserable.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:52 am Went out for my walk this morning at my usual time of 0330 hours, and the humidity was so dense that the streetlights looked like they had a halo around them from the moisture. It was miserable.
Abilene, where I lived for the better part of four years while going to college, is drier than the San Antonio/Austin area and I found it to be far more humid than my neck of the desert in AZ. At times, it felt like that there was so much water in the air, I could swim in it. At least, if I didn't like the weather at any time, all I had to do was wait five minutes for it to change. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Utterly exhausted this morning. The mini dachshund had a seizure last night and so the wife and I were on edge all night in case she had another one. I had to take her down stairs and get her cleaned up, and let her out to see if she needed to go while I put her dog bed in the wash. I could not go back to sleep since it happened at 0100 hours. Both dogs are getting older, just like me.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The youngest went to Dallas with her sister and cousin, and she told me when she got back that I was right, drivers in Dallas are crazy. Dad is right once more.....
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:10 am drivers in Dallas are crazy.
Ever driven in Paris?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:12 am
Ever driven in Paris?
No, I have not had that...pleasure,, but I hear that it is bad, really bad.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:16 am
AndyMH wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:12 am
Ever driven in Paris?
No, I have not had that...pleasure,, but I hear that it is bad, really bad.
It's not so great here in the Phoenix, AZ area, either. I can't go anywhere without almost getting hit by some eejit driving with a "smart" phone shoved up their ear (instead of where it should be shoved). Last Monday (the last time I ventured out), I was almost hit by a semi driver deciding he liked the lane I was in better than his. While waking him with my horn (one of these days, I'm getting a train horn for my "pick-em-up" truck), I dropped back to get out of his way and so I could keep an eye on the maroon; he was wandering all over the place.

I hate going to Walmart because their parking lot is a cross between a zoo and a war zone.
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Worst place I been was Beijing, refused point blank to drive, took taxis. In North America, wasn't impressed with Montreal. Doesn't help that you all drive on the wrong side of the road :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Open Chat”