Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by BenTrabetere »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:07 pm and this is his "outdoor kitchen", they hold parties for all of the grandkids twice a month here
The two small trees in his "outdoor kitchen" look like mimosa trees. If so, you might want to tell him the proper way to maintain them is to adopt the 'Mow Early, Mow Often' approach. It is a nice looking tree, but it is an insidious weed. They are damnear impossible to kill, and seeds can lay dormant for decades.

If he knows about mimosa and actually wants one in his yard, these two are too close together. Mimosa matures quickly, and the spread will be about 20-feet. I also suggest he cut them back to where there is only one or two main trunks and let it branch out.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:24 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:07 pm and this is his "outdoor kitchen", they hold parties for all of the grandkids twice a month here
The two small trees in his "outdoor kitchen" look like mimosa trees. If so, you might want to tell him the proper way to maintain them is to adopt the 'Mow Early, Mow Often' approach. It is a nice looking tree, but it is an insidious weed. They are damnear impossible to kill, and seeds can lay dormant for decades.

If he knows about mimosa and actually wants one in his yard, these two are too close together. Mimosa matures quickly, and the spread will be about 20-feet. I also suggest he cut them back to where there is only one or two main trunks and let it branch out.
Actually, those Mimosas are just inside the "invisible property line" and they are ours.
We have been desperately trying to get them re-established here.... We have them staked and tied up so they don't droop to the ground while young and tender.

They trees bloom far longer than other trees, and are very pretty in the spring.

I love them, as does my daughter. We want a whole row of them out by the County road. but, that part of our property is just a gravel pit, boulders hiding under 1 or 2 inches of soil.

as a kid growing up, we had 3,000 Mimosas trees on our little plot, in rows about 2-3 feet apart.
We sold them as a crop, I could get down on my knees and use a shovel with just my arms, and dig one out of the ground in about 10 minutes. Our place was in Oklahoma City, OK and the top soil was mostly sandy loam.

We planted peas, let them grow, and then plowed them under ever years, rotating them around the property.
never plant the same crop, in the same soil, two years in a row.

https://www.thetreecenter.com/mimosa-tr ... ete-guide/
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Crepe Myrtles are also a PITA in terms of keeping them clean looking.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:26 am Crepe Myrtles are also a PITA in terms of keeping them clean looking.
Also, on my Not Favorite list. The best approach I have found managing Crepe Myrtle is proper spacing and do not prune. Or do not plant them in the first place.

My Top 10 Not Favorite Trees/Shrubs in My Yard
1. Chinese Tallow (aka Popcorn) tree (all volunteers, damnear impossible to eradicate)
2. Bradford Pear (courtesy of my idiot neighbor)
3. River Birch (mother loves the leaves in the Fall
4. Formosa Azalea (idiot landscaper planted them as a hedge)
5. Nandina (one of my mother's favorites, also damnear impossible to eradicate)
6. Bamboo (my idiot neighbor planted it close to the property line)
7. Mimosa (on my Kill On Sight)
8. Crepe Myrtle (volunteers keep popping up in the worst places)
9. Water Oak (acorns, leaves and limbs)
10. Red-Tip Photina (idiot landscaper planted them as a hedge)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I finally got that crap exterminated:
used something similar to RoundUp, had glyco phosphate?

I call it 2,4D but that is not on the label, I bought a 5 gallon jug of it, and a small 25 liter sprayer tank with motor, hose and leads.
set that on my golf cart trailer and go around the perimeter of my property and kill everything that I don't want.

gotta catch the tender shoots at about six inches tall, on a warm to hot day, spray them until the leaves are wet, and go away.

5 to 7 days later, they are dying a hard death, the spray soaks into the roots over-night.

about 10 years ago, I took a summer job with the County Road department, drove the spray truck and wet the edge of the berms six to eight inches from the pavement's edge.... trying to keep grass from getting into the Asphalt. whatever they used in that spray tank, I took a picture of the label, and went to the Feed Store, and got 5 gallons of it.... still have 3 gallons left
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:56 am 6. Bamboo (my idiot neighbor planted it close to the property line)
My problem is the idiot neighbor's bamboo patch is close to the wildflower "meadow" I have worked hard to get established. I have nice stands of Indian paintbrush, black-eyed susan, ironweed, blazing star, heath aster, and goldenrod, and I am trying to coax Queen Anne's lace. Herbicides are not an option I am willing to consider.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:18 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:56 am 6. Bamboo (my idiot neighbor planted it close to the property line)
My problem is the idiot neighbor's bamboo patch is close to the wildflower "meadow" I have worked hard to get established. I have nice stands of Indian paintbrush, black-eyed susan, ironweed, blazing star, heath aster, and goldenrod, and I am trying to coax Queen Anne's lace. Herbicides are not an option I am willing to consider.
I like your plantings, they are pretty...................

we have a couple of bushy things that looked like 12 foot diameter tumble weeds, that were planted on each side of our driveway entrance. they might have been cute, if maintained at 12 inches of height, but once over 5 feet, they create stone walls that we could not see thru.

Decided to burn one of them out, didn't work, that damn thing is super hardy.
and the burnt stalks are now like iron, not even a chain saw can touch the damn thing.

on the opposite side, I used a combination of tools to get closer to the root ball, and finally got it down to where I can run the Zero Turn Mower over it.... Now, every time I mow, I drop the blades down to 1 inch and scrape that devil from hell below ground level.

Did I mention it has thorns on it like a Locust Tree? damn but they cut a deep swath thru my arms if I am not careful when mowing.

The burnt side is still sending up shoots, I wanted to bring in a backhoe and get rid of it, but our water supply line is immediately underneath the root ball.

thinking of bringing in a Stump Grinder and gnawing it down below the surface 6 to 8 inches, and then dumping a 10 lb bag of Rock Salt there.
There is a Frost Free water hydrant at the water meter about 24 inches away... I can keep that salt damp next spring and hopefully that one will be gone. It ignored the herbicide that I soaked it with :twisted:

I hope the guy who planted them things, is enjoying his prison in hell.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Nice, add some Bluebonnets, and it would be perfect :D Bamboo is a tough one to get rid of once it is established.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:19 am
I like your plantings, they are pretty...................

we have a couple of bushy things that looked like 12 foot diameter tumble weeds, that were planted on each side of our driveway entrance. they might have been cute, if maintained at 12 inches of height, but once over 5 feet, they create stone walls that we could not see thru.

Decided to burn one of them out, didn't work, that damn thing is super hardy.
and the burnt stalks are now like iron, not even a chain saw can touch the damn thing.

on the opposite side, I used a combination of tools to get closer to the root ball, and finally got it down to where I can run the Zero Turn Mower over it.... Now, every time I mow, I drop the blades down to 1 inch and scrape that devil from hell below ground level.

Did I mention it has thorns on it like a Locust Tree? damn but they cut a deep swath thru my arms if I am not careful when mowing.

The burnt side is still sending up shoots, I wanted to bring in a backhoe and get rid of it, but our water supply line is immediately underneath the root ball.

thinking of bringing in a Stump Grinder and gnawing it down below the surface 6 to 8 inches, and then dumping a 10 lb bag of Rock Salt there.
There is a Frost Free water hydrant at the water meter about 24 inches away... I can keep that salt damp next spring and hopefully that one will be gone. It ignored the herbicide that I soaked it with :twisted:

I hope the guy who planted them things, is enjoying his prison in hell.
Sounds like this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koeberlinia_spinosa My grandparents had a tree they called a crown of thorns which was near the front of their property and had the most vicious thorns on it you have ever seen. That tree was downright dangerous, and as kids we gave it a very wide berth. Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:44 am My grandparents had a tree they called a crown of thorns which was near the front of their property and had the most vicious thorns on it you have ever seen. That tree was downright dangerous, and as kids we gave it a very wide berth. Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust
you got it....
we had 5 or 6 of those things in the "back 40", there is only one of them left now.... I cut the rest of them down.

the things out front, are bushy, have long vine like runners that if uncut, will just keep getting thicker and thicker with each season, until they are 1/2 inch thick or bigger...... it was full size like that when I started to cut it down.

I currently have it at about six inches of height, had to use Articulated Hand trimmers to cut the vines back, one at a time. That trimmer is so strong, that I can cut a tree limb 1.5 inches in diameter clear through ....

Compound Leverage is built into the jaws. The handles are 36 inches long, and swing thru about a 4 ft arc, as I squeeze them closed.... will get some pictures in the daylight.

the one below is a different brand than mine, but it looks identical.... called a Lopper.

found them: https://www.amazon.com/TABOR-TOOLS-GG12 ... B01E5NQ2U4

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:21 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:26 am Crepe Myrtles are also a PITA in terms of keeping them clean looking.
Also, on my Not Favorite list. The best approach I have found managing Crepe Myrtle is proper spacing and do not prune. Or do not plant them in the first place.

My Top 10 Not Favorite Trees/Shrubs in My Yard
1. Chinese Tallow (aka Popcorn) tree (all volunteers, damnear impossible to eradicate)
2. Bradford Pear (courtesy of my idiot neighbor)
3. River Birch (mother loves the leaves in the Fall
4. Formosa Azalea (idiot landscaper planted them as a hedge)
5. Nandina (one of my mother's favorites, also damnear impossible to eradicate)
7. Mimosa (on my Kill On Sight)
8. Crepe Myrtle (volunteers keep popping up in the worst places)
9. Water Oak (acorns, leaves and limbs)
10. Red-Tip Photina (idiot landscaper planted them as a hedge)
Add Magnolia trees to this list, the roots are near the surface and can utterly destroy sidewalks, etc.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:27 am Add Magnolia trees to this list, the roots are near the surface and can utterly destroy sidewalks, etc.
I actually like Magnolia - location and proper pruning are key to achieving Magnolia Happiness. They need a LOT of room - plan for a 50-ft spread, and nothing goes inside that boundry. The instructions for proper pruning can be reduced to one word: Don't. Let the lower limbs droop all the way to the ground. It gives the tree a nicer profile, and it almost eliminates the hassle of dealing with the leaves and cones. Everything pretty much stays inside the canopy.

The same applies for the cucumber tree, also a magnolia. The neat thing about the cucumber tree is the leaves are not leathery like Magnolia grandiflora, and they decompose quickly in a leaf/compost pile. It is a great shade tree.
Nice, add some Bluebonnets, and it would be perfect
Bluebonnets are on a very short list of Things I Can't Grow. The list also includes sweet corn, sweet potatoes, watermelon, pumpkin, and anything in the onion family. :(
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

If a tree has limbs hanging down low enough to hit my head while mowing, I trim them up.

We don't have any Magnolias here, wish we did.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:21 am 6. Bamboo (my idiot neighbor planted it close to the property line)
Had a neighbor who was widely despised in the neighborhood when I lived in Salt Lake City. Our properties abutted along the irrigation ditch, far to the rear of my lot but beside his house. I planted bamboo along the ditch shortly before selling the place. Google Street View tells me that someone still has a bamboo problem after 20 years :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Bamboo is just impossible to get rid of unless you go scorched earth. It makes a great windbreak, or sight wall, but darn, you cannot control it. I have dreams of doing a "commando raid" on the HOA guys yard and planting lots of bluebonnet seeds in his yard.....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:32 am Bamboo is just impossible to get rid of unless you go scorched earth. It makes a great windbreak, or sight wall, but darn, you cannot control it. I have dreams of doing a "commando raid" on the HOA guys yard and planting lots of bluebonnet seeds in his yard.....
Back when I lived in Mesa, AZ a home that I had bought there, had Bamboo all along the back Cinder Block wall....
I suppose it was planted as a "sound break" because of the busy street?

I attacked it with hand cutters for a long time, then finally decided that enough is enough, and did the scorched earth attack..... lots of rock salt and water for a couple of months....

the city was not pleased on the other side of that wall, all of their precious Bermuda grass died for a couple of years.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

We have had some decent rain, not enough, but decent, so my carpet grass (St. Augustine) is starting to move back into the dead areas. City water just never seems to have the right whatever to make it grow like rain water does. The HOA <violates forum rules> was walking back and forth checking yards again the other day. I know I am going to get dinged for not having mowed as often as he wants us to mow. But my knee is giving me fits, so it hurts to push the mower.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:42 am We have had some decent rain, not enough, but decent, so my carpet grass (St. Augustine) is starting to move back into the dead areas. City water just never seems to have the right whatever to make it grow like rain water does. The HOA **** was walking back and forth checking yards again the other day. I know I am going to get dinged for not having mowed as often as he wants us to mow. But my knee is giving me fits, so it hurts to push the mower.
screw the jerk, tell him if he thinks it needs mowed, then he can mow it.
personally, I never ask, nor want help from jerks like that.

used to live in an HOA area back in Mesa, Arizona...
didn't take me long to tell them to go to hell, IF, and WHEN they started paying my property taxes and mortgage, then they could tell me what to do.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:00 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:42 am We have had some decent rain, not enough, but decent, so my carpet grass (St. Augustine) is starting to move back into the dead areas. City water just never seems to have the right whatever to make it grow like rain water does. The HOA **** was walking back and forth checking yards again the other day. I know I am going to get dinged for not having mowed as often as he wants us to mow. But my knee is giving me fits, so it hurts to push the mower.
screw the jerk, tell him if he thinks it needs mowed, then he can mow it.
personally, I never ask, nor want help from jerks like that.

used to live in an HOA area back in Mesa, Arizona...
didn't take me long to tell them to go to hell, IF, and WHEN they started paying my property taxes and mortgage, then they could tell me what to do.
I did not have a choice, I had to accept the HOA when we moved into the neighborhood. I did tell him that he could get his happy butt over here and mow it for me, I took your advice. He was offended, and stomped off in a huff.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:36 am
I did not have a choice, I had to accept the HOA when we moved into the neighborhood. I did tell him that he could get his happy butt over here and mow it for me, I took your advice. He was offended, and stomped off in a huff.
poor guy, now he will have to suck on his thumb :lol:

Return to “Open Chat”