Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:30 pm Only in Texas are you wearing shorts and a Tshirt, running the a/c because it is 84f outside!!!! On Christmas Day.
we here in Okieland came close, 80*F but we left the HVAC for the house in Heat Mode,
we don't chase the ambient air temps back and forth, totally stupid to run the Heat for 5 days, and the the A/C for one day.

we have a monster ceiling Exhaust Fan in the back hallway. It is so big, that even with the Front doors, rear patio door, and the kitchen/utility room doors all open, you can feel the draft in any room.....

oh, did I mention it needs a muffler to dampen the noise :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:09 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:30 pm Only in Texas are you wearing shorts and a Tshirt, running the a/c because it is 84f outside!!!! On Christmas Day.
we here in Okieland came close, 80*F but we left the HVAC for the house in Heat Mode,
we don't chase the ambient air temps back and forth, totally stupid to run the Heat for 5 days, and the the A/C for one day.

we have a monster ceiling Exhaust Fan in the back hallway. It is so big, that even with the Front doors, rear patio door, and the kitchen/utility room doors all open, you can feel the draft in any room.....

Nice.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:09 am

The temperatures can vary so widely in a single day here in the AZ desert, it's not unusual for both the AC and the furnace to run during the same day at certain times of the year, generally spring and fall but also sometimes during the winter. I keep the AC thermostat set at 78° and the furnace thermostat at 73°.

The fan for the AC is the loud one in my humble hovel (the ductwork is a bit too small). I leave the fan running all the time when the weather is warm enough for the AC to be coming on and off so I can adjust to its roar not listen to it coming on and off. During those times of the year when the AC won't be running at night but will run during the day, I leave the fan set to auto until the AC first comes on, then I switch it to on for the rest of the day. I'll switch it back to auto when I go to bed; sooner if the furnace comes on.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:14 pm

The temperatures can vary so widely in a single day here in the AZ desert, it's not unusual for both the AC and the furnace to run during the same day at certain times of the year, generally spring and fall but also sometimes during the winter. I keep the AC thermostat set at 78° and the furnace thermostat at 73°.

The fan for the AC is the loud one in my humble hovel (the ductwork is a bit too small). I leave the fan running all the time when the weather is warm enough for the AC to be coming on and off so I can adjust to its roar not listen to it coming on and off. During those times of the year when the AC won't be running at night but will run during the day, I leave the fan set to auto until the AC first comes on, then I switch it to on for the rest of the day. I'll switch it back to auto when I go to bed; sooner if the furnace comes on.
I leave our HVAC fan 'ON' all the time, to keep the different areas of the house, even....
If we don't, one area can be as much as 10 to 15 degrees hotter or colder than the family room ( living room for most folks - our home is open, Kitchen to back hallway, no intervening walls.... )

the house was built many years ago for a military disabled veteran, who had been raked with a machine gun... I never met him, or learned of his history, but this house is very very strange, and crudely built to a special set of "lack of standards"

we bought it because my wife back 12 years ago, had a leg amputation and needed to be able to traverse the house via wheelchair. every door is 36 inches wide, and there are NO elevation changes anywhere, from garage to the Master Bedroom shower... she just transferred to a special wheelchair and rolled into the shower.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I really hate this time of year for allergies. Plus it will be in the 80F + range with temps today, and tomorrow the front arrives and it drops to the 30's. Typical Texas weather, Hot, cold, Hot, Hot, Hot, freezing, Hot again. We really only have three seasons: Summer, Still Summer, and About to be Summer. Sometimes I feel like that old General Sherman quote about Texas applies....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Only in Texas can you get overnight a 50°F drop in temperatures. It went from 84 Fahrenheit yesterday to 33°F right now.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:47 am Only in Texas can you get overnight a 50°F drop in temperatures. It went from 84 Fahrenheit yesterday to 33°F right now.
much the same here in Oologah, 30 miles from Kansas,
74*F to 13* overnight brrrrr

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:31 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:47 am Only in Texas can you get overnight a 50°F drop in temperatures. It went from 84 Fahrenheit yesterday to 33°F right now.
much the same here in Oologah, 30 miles from Kansas,
74*F to 13* overnight brrrrr

THAT IS COLD!!!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

23F yesterday, 41F today. Texas weather is nothing if not changeable.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:26 am 23F yesterday, 41F today. Texas weather is nothing if not changeable.
Texicans sure are a whiny bunch. Yesterday it was all "It's too cold" and today it is all "It's not cold enough ... and it's going to rain this weekend." :lol:
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:23 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:26 am 23F yesterday, 41F today. Texas weather is nothing if not changeable.
Texicans sure are a whiny bunch. Yesterday it was all "It's too cold" and today it is all "It's not cold enough ... and it's going to rain this weekend." :lol:
Oh no I would Love for some rain to fall.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:23 am
With those temperature swings, I would be whining, too!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

When I lived in Salt Lake City a front came through one August and dropped the temp from 107 to 48 in 2 hours... but that felt good, except for the dust storm in front of the cool air.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:03 pm With those temperature swings, I would be whining, too!
Those swings are not too bad. Certainly not the worst I have experienced. When I lived in New Orleans and in Dallas it was not at all unusual to start the day in the mid-70s, and by the early afternoon the wind shifted and the temperature dropped to the mid-20s. Or the temperature swing was reversed and you were lugging around a heavy coat for the better part of the day. (Yes, on occasion I, too, am a whiner.)

One thing I liked about the two stints I spent living Ohio was the winters. The cold weather never really bothered me because once it got cold, it stayed cold. I never did get used to the depressing, almost perpetual grey skies - I recall thinking happy thoughts whenever I saw a shadow.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

The worst swing I ever saw was in Abilene, TX back in early '69. The temperature dropped from the low 80s down to below freezing in 30 minutes.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The term Blue Norther was invented in Texas, and it is supremely accurate.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:30 am The term Blue Norther was invented in Texas, and it is supremely accurate.
You can say that again!
Jeannie

MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

I'm from Poland and I love Texas and ZZ Top. Mr Dusty Hill will always live in my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCLXy-vSu3o 8)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Another 50 degree F drop in temps with 20-40 mph winds. Record high yesterday, cold today. Texas; if you don't like the weather wait five minutes......
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 pm Another 50 degree F drop in temps with 20-40 mph winds. Record high yesterday, cold today. Texas; if you don't like the weather wait five minutes......
we on the north border are enjoying life today

snow.png

Return to “Open Chat”