Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 pm
My boss went out with COVID yesterday which sucks for us.
Im betting it sucks even more for him too...DAMIEN
Yeah we all had to get tested. I'm negative, but my knee is killing me, I think I over did it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

COLD front coming!!!! It will be 100 F today, but then the front arrives, and it will be in the upper 50's in the morning! My wife will be getting out the flannel PJs and footie sleepers! I cannot wait for cooler weather, although this has not been a bad summer for the most part.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 am COLD front coming!!!! It will be 100 F today, but then the front arrives, and it will be in the upper 50's in the morning! My wife will be getting out the flannel PJs and footie sleepers! I cannot wait for cooler weather, although this has not been a bad summer for the most part.
Looking forward to it as well. Got a couple outdoor projects to work on that will be more enjoyable with temps topping out in the 80's rather than nudging 100.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I remember those Texas northers back in the late '60s to early '70s. My now late ex and I were "studying" down in a park a 30 minute walk from the ACC campus in Abilene when I noticed a dark cloud bank just barely poking above the northern horizon so we immediately started heading back. By the time we got back to the campus, the front had arrived and the temperature had dropped from the low 80s to below freezing. I think that was when that barbed wire fence (excuse me, that's bobbed war fence) between Texas and the North Pole blew down.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

One memorable blue norther happened while I was station in Beeville. An autumn bbq held at the ranch of one of our civilian employees. Mid afternoon we observed the "U" shaped patch of sky pushing southward. As the clouds gave way to blue skies the temp dropped rapidly. T-shirt temps suddenly had us all looking for lightweight jackets or sweat shirts.

Recollection fading but I believe the drop exceeded 30 degrees in 30 minutes. Remain amazed at the number of times the daily temp will rise 35 degrees or more in the winter months. Love it.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The term "blue norther" tends to be a mystery to those who have never experienced one. 30-60 degree drops in temperatures are not uncommon. Having a 30+ degree temperature swing in Texas is also not unusual. Annoying at times, but not unusual.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

When I was in college in Abilene, TX, I heard a tall tale of a cattle rancher who lost half his herd when a blue norther all but buried his herd in snow, freezing to death half of them to death. The next day, a warm wind came up out of the south and the rest of the herd drowned.

After my first Thanksgiving there, I almost believed that tall tale. The evening before Thanksgiving, a blue norther brought in a blizzard that dumped around round six inches of snow. During the blizzard, visibility was almost nil. It didn't help that the college campus was on a rise that passes for a hill in TX. The next morning was clear and warm without a cloud in sight. The snow was gone by 10AM.

I was always told that if I didn't like the weather in TX, just wait ten minutes. They lied; it was more like five minutes.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

back in the early '70s I lived in Dumas, TX and on a ranch east of there for the best part of 69 to 77

I experienced several of those "Blue Northers" where it was decent T-shirt weather when we headed to the house, and then wake up in the morning with the roads closed due to snow banks piled 12 to 15 feet high...

Impossible?
Well, you have to understand the nature of Tumble Weeds to know what caused all that....

The fields on either side of the roads have enough snow to cover most everything except the Cactus that stands up 3 to 5 feet all.

but, the Barbed Wire fences, are a Magnet for Tumble Weeds, and they pile up to 20 feet high on occasion, and that is both sides of the road.... So, that makes a trough about 80 feet wide and the middle of that trough fills up with snow, deeper than a pickup truck can be found, much less drive through it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:23 pm back in the early '70s I lived in Dumas, TX and on a ranch east of there for the best part of 69 to 77

I experienced several of those "Blue Northers" where it was decent T-shirt weather when we headed to the house, and then wake up in the morning with the roads closed due to snow banks piled 12 to 15 feet high...

Impossible?
Well, you have to understand the nature of Tumble Weeds to know what caused all that....

The fields on either side of the roads have enough snow to cover most everything except the Cactus that stands up 3 to 5 feet all.

but, the Barbed Wire fences, are a Magnet for Tumble Weeds, and they pile up to 20 feet high on occasion, and that is both sides of the road.... So, that makes a trough about 80 feet wide and the middle of that trough fills up with snow, deeper than a pickup truck can be found, much less drive through it.
I can't remember the last time I saw a tumbleweed. They used to be thick as flies on livestock here in AZ but, between droughts and urbanization, they seem to have pretty much died out. Large outdoor tumbleweed Christmas trees used to be popular but I haven't seen one in quite a while.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:23 pm back in the early '70s I lived in Dumas, TX and on a ranch east of there for the best part of 69 to 77

Impossible?

It has been a while for me as well, but I remember trips to West Texas and the tumbleweed fences...
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

These are the guys who made that song big: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQc5gDXQGIs

A local "grassified" duet (they did bluegrass and other music in bluegrass style) that performed at local events, restaurants, etc. in the Phoenix area used to do this song and the lead used to gripe that the song had five parts so he had to sing three parts and the other guy had to sing two parts. I kidded with them that I could take one of those parts off their hands and they took me up on it. I took the high barri (baritone) part, which is actually above the tenor (one of the guys could sing tenor to a dog whistle). Technically, I'm an alto but I did sing second soprano in a local lesbian chorale for a while so I was in my range.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:50 pm
These are the guys who made that song big: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQc5gDXQGIs

A local "grassified" duet (they did bluegrass and other music in bluegrass style) that performed at local events, restaurants, etc. in the Phoenix area used to do this song and the lead used to gripe that the song had five parts so he had to sing three parts and the other guy had to sing two parts. I kidded with them that I could take one of those parts off their hands and they took me up on it. I took the high barri (baritone) part, which is actually above the tenor (one of the guys could sing tenor to a dog whistle). Technically, I'm an alto but I did sing second soprano in a local lesbian chorale for a while so I was in my range.
I can carry a tune if someone hands it to me in a paper sack.....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:02 pm ...I can carry a tune if someone hands it to me in a paper sack.....
Sadly, my singing days are over. My *&^%$#@! allergies have pretty much wrecked my voice. You can't sing through phlegm.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:02 pm ...I can carry a tune if someone hands it to me in a paper sack.....
Sadly, my singing days are over. My *&^%$#@! allergies have pretty much wrecked my voice. You can't sing through phlegm.
Last time I decided to try and sing, the Spouse-Unit came running into the bathroom afraid the dog was choking...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:25 am
Last time I decided to try and sing, the Spouse-Unit came running into the bathroom afraid the dog was choking...
Ouch!
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:40 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:25 am

Ouch!
Yeah it was pretty bad.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Massive thunderstorms last night, had a lightning strike really close that shook the whole house, and some small hail. It is starting to finally clear out a little. I think we got between 2 and 4 inches of rain last night, which makes my yard happy. That lightning strike there was the flash and almost instantly the thunder, so it was close.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

You know Texas is a changing when you get this: http://herald-zeitung.com/life/article_ ... bc171.html Even in New Braunfels they are now looking at adding Korean Gochugang to food. I have been using it for a while, and love it. But NEW BRAUNFELS?! Texas is certainly changing, some of it for the better. Some for the worse, but overall I am hopeful.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:42 am Massive thunderstorms last night, had a lightning strike really close that shook the whole house, and some small hail. It is starting to finally clear out a little. I think we got between 2 and 4 inches of rain last night, which makes my yard happy. That lightning strike there was the flash and almost instantly the thunder, so it was close.
up here in OkieLand about 30 miles from Coffeyville, KS the prediction for rain overnight was 0.03 inches....

uh huh, how come we have 1/2 inch in the bottom of the plastic bins we left outside last night? :?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”