Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Only in Texas....

Post by MurphCID »

Well I just got back from the famous Texas Renaissance Festival north of Houston, at Todd Mission. As usual there were acres of costumes, some strange, some great, and some best left in the dumpster. Had a great time with the kids (who both forgot their costumes), I went as a grumpy old dude with a Nikon. My brother and his wife were there, and we had a great time, Last year they estimate over 670,000 attendees over the course of the Festival. Spent too d@mn much money, but the kids and I had a great time. But it is good to be home. Lupe had to go to a wedding of a niece so she could not go, bummer. But she got the 45th anniversary T-shirt! We have been taking the kids there since they were toddlers, and they have T-shirts from each trip. Well now they are 19 and 21 and decided that they would get kilts and scarves to go with their T-shirts.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by HaveaMint »

"Spent too d@mn much money, but the kids and I had a great time."
Memories are the main thing, I bet ya'll did have fun.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

A good time was had by all.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Sounds like the only thing that did not have a good time was your wallet! :D Nice to hear that everyone had fun.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I made the trip to Boerne to the Black Rifle Coffee Company, coffee shop. The latte is ok, not as good as from my local place the Cibolo Coffee Haus, but decent. Lots of Swag, lots of people, worth the trip. Now off to San Antonio to the Tandoor Palace for the best Indian food in this area!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am crushed, I just found out that my favorite coffee shop is closing for good on the 14th of December since their landlord jacked the rent, and they cannot afford to relocate. This sucks, this sucks rocks. I wish I could get everyone here a cup of their coffee so you could taste how good it is. Man, that just sucks.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Beat the system: buy a simple coffee grinder, buy a fresh bag of your favourite coffee beans, and brew your own by hand. The secret is to grind only the beans you need for one brew: that way, you always have freshly ground beans. Which is essential for the aroma.

It's what I do; nothing beats my own coffee. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:21 pm Beat the system: buy a simple coffee grinder, buy a fresh bag of your favourite coffee beans, and brew your own by hand. The secret is to grind only the beans you need for one brew: that way, you always have freshly ground beans. Which is essential for the aroma.

Agreed! 100%
Fully mint Household
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:21 pm Beat the system: buy a simple coffee grinder, buy a fresh bag of your favourite coffee beans, and brew your own by hand. The secret is to grind only the beans you need for one brew: that way, you always have freshly ground beans. Which is essential for the aroma.

This can be done, but it does not solve the simple problem that more and more small service providers are having to give up because of excessive, simply unaffordable rents.
Companies like Amazon or eBay have also been blamed for this small business death: it certainly doesn't make survival any easier for small businesses, but the main problem is unspeakable rents that can never be earned above normal turnover.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Cibolo Coffee Haus is a small family owned place, the people who work there know me, know my order, make incredibly good coffee, have great customer service, spend time chatting with you, it is not a big assembly line impersonal place. They open early in the morning, close around 4 pm, and just a good place to go and sit and have a cuppa.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:13 pm [
This can be done, but it does not solve the simple problem that more and more small service providers are having to give up because of excessive, simply unaffordable rents.
Sadly in this global economy we are going to see fewer and fewer small businesses. They cannot compete with the purchasing power of the big players, nor can they survive the ongoing costs of running a small business these days. Rent and Electricity are a major part of that, but also the costs of compliance in this litigious world.
Fully mint Household
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, I know I live in Texas, but at times I get tired of the three seasons we have here: Summer, Still Summer, and About to be Summer. Just once I would really like four real seasons, with cold weather for more than two days a year. Also I just cannot get into Thanksgiving and Christmas spirit when your mornings are in the 50's and then the afternoons are in the 80's! I really dislike wearing shorts and T-shirt on Christmas.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 am Ok, I know I live in Texas, but at times I get tired of the three seasons we have here: Summer, Still Summer, and About to be Summer.
You forgot about tornado season! Although October is not normally tornado season, I did get hit in the Dallas tornado a couple of weeks ago. I just had some roof damage and broken tree branches, but the next street over had major damage to houses and trees. I had no power for three days and no cable internet for a week.

Here are some pictures I took around the neighborhood, all within 2 blocks of my house:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1tozziz00/

and here's some drone footage of my neighborhood:
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/08 ... 224af1689c
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Glad you are ok, it was a bad deal. A good buddy watched it from across the street.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

You start your day off wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and end it in long pants, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and windbreaker. It went from 80F to 30F (real feel 20F) by 2100 hours last night. Right now 34F (real feel 20F) with sleet and ice incoming. In Texas if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I've added a few more pics of the tornado damage to the twin office buildings a block from my house. One building has major damage, the other building, no more than 100 meters away, has no visible damage!
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1tozziz00/
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I lived with Cyclones, I now live with the risk of fire and flood. All of those, at least, give you some warning of impending doom. From my understanding, Tornadoes are far less "predictable", I trust you all stay safe.
Fully mint Household
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Cold, hot, Cold, Hot, typical Texas weather. Groan. Now Mountain Cedar is coming in, and so my allergies are killing me...
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Holy Smoking Mackeral Batman! It is COLD here in Texas! Temps were at 10F with wind chills at -2F. We have 3-6 inches of snow, which is so rare in San Antonio, and that means everything is shut down. Power has been off and on since 0400 hours, mostly off, with internal house temps getting to 50F before power comes back on. The dogs are NOT happy, not happy at all. They do not want to go outside to potty. The mini-dachshund is not pleased with all this white stuff. I have the house back up to 68F, and have cooked a hot meal for everyone. I will attempt more hot tea for everyone before power goes down again.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The whole Texas thing has really caught me by surprise.

I have friends and family who live up north, and so for these kind of temperature and weather conditions to impact them while I'm sitting here in tshirt and shorts weather is not unexpected. But for much more southern states, including Texas, to experience this while I am, again, in tshirt and shorts weather, is really unexpected, and from my perspective, kind of shocking.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”