Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ErinSt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by ErinSt »

Ahh jeez, I always wanted to go to that festival when I was a student in Texas but never could because i was always working.
Then the pandemic started and now I have moved out far away (Maine) so that's that... i guess it wasn't meant to be :(
markz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markz »

Sorry I thought it was widely recognized that the gulf of mexico is really polluted, maybe its just fake news I have been reading all this time. Like the Mediterean sea is worse. Now with all the offshore rigs and all the leaks, I'd be surprised if it was half decently clean but you always got to wonder if a first world nation has cities that dump sewage into the ocean like on the sault saint marie and victoria bc, what 3rd worlds do including the biggest and most populated countries in the world.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ErinSt wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:02 pm Ahh jeez, I always wanted to go to that festival when I was a student in Texas but never could because i was always working.
Then the pandemic started and now I have moved out far away (Maine) so that's that... i guess it wasn't meant to be :(
Why leave the Great State of Texas and go to Maine where it is cold cold cold. :?:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

My daughter called me and told me that it was icing over in Nacogdoches yesterday. She said that the roads were starting to get bad, so she went back to the Sorority house for the night to do homework. Here it was 30 F this morning, and should be in the 60's this afternoon. A 30-40 degree swing is not unusual here.
markz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markz »

I would Texas is cool, but I also heard that there are little to no national parks that 99% of the land is private. Of course the state income tax is nothing which is a great bonus so I can see why its an attractive place to live, but yes I heard it can get cold there but one persons cold could be very cold while a northerners cold is very very very cold. I dont mind 33F 0C, but like many I prefer to live in warmer climates. Florida is interesting minus the strange Florida-Man news that seems to pop up.

Since I am listenting to a lot of comics, seems like a lot of them have moved to Austin, yet some of the biggies like Dave Chapell live in Ohio, anyplace warm is good for those used to snow 4-6 months of the year.

Heres a few things I'd want to do while in Texas
Go hunting
Get some wild pigs
Hit the rodeo circuit
Buy cowboy boots and clothing and of course the cowboy hat
Find some croc's or gators and see how they taste
Get some boots made out of them if its legal to in my country

Joking aside, here the sister city of Houston we go full garb for 1 month on a 10 day expo, sad to say it will happen this year. I was glad it did not happen 2 years ago, was not as glad the second year of covid when it semi opened and very sad to say it will probably go full blast this year so I will leave the city a month before in June and tour the waters around the Isle of Vancouver. I hope to be driving by then, bring my ebike and sleep in the vehicle to save money, the joys of being single. Funny thing is I start counting cowboy hats the day I see a non true cowboy wear a cowboy hat, which happens end of May usually. It triggers me because I hate the festival so much, I hate crowds and drunk people. But I believe in Texas I would not be triggered by cowboy hats.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Tourists with Cowboy Hats are easy to spot....

fresh and clean, no soil on them, and the brims are still stamped as they came out of the box.

all of my hats were made of Straw, and the brims rolled up and grimy from plowed dirt, cow manure, and pig slop.

yup, I grew up in the dirt, milked the same cow for 13 years straight, she gave us 14 quarts at every milking and the cream would float to the top and measure down a bit over 1/4 fourth of the way down.
We sold the excess milk we could not drink ourselves at $0.85 per gallon from the Fridge we kept on the back porch.

a full acre of Grapes, 10 different varieties, Concord, Tokyo, and others I no longer remember the names of.... all of that ground is now a Middle School playground.... I stopped there last August for a few hours, was back in OKC, OK for a high school 55th year reunion.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:35 pm Tourists with Cowboy Hats are easy to spot....

fresh and clean, no soil on them, and the brims are still stamped as they came out of the box.

all of my hats were made of Straw, and the brims rolled up and grimy from plowed dirt, cow manure, and pig slop.

yup, I grew up in the dirt, milked the same cow for 13 years straight, she gave us 14 quarts at every milking and the cream would float to the top and measure down a bit over 1/4 fourth of the way down.
We sold the excess milk we could not drink ourselves at $0.85 per gallon from the Fridge we kept on the back porch.

a full acre of Grapes, 10 different varieties, Concord, Tokyo, and others I no longer remember the names of.... all of that ground is now a Middle School playground.... I stopped there last August for a few hours, was back in OKC, OK for a high school 55th year reunion.
You can get cowboy hats--straw, felt, leather--artificially aged, sweat stained, and soiled nowadays.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:22 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:35 pm Tourists with Cowboy Hats are easy to spot....

You can get cowboy hats--straw, felt, leather--artificially aged, sweat stained, and soiled nowadays.
That is just a crime. You cannot get the real look without some cow manure, dirt, bob war cuts, sweat and just plain old wear and tear. My ostrich boots are all over 17 years old, been re-soled twice, and fit just amazingly. I have worn them everywhere, office, crime scenes, court, etc.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I can't even remember the number of times, that Straw Hat prevented a splash of Cow Manure from hitting me in the face, WHILE I WAS MILKING THAT COW :| :| :|

Oh, one major point about 'Real Cowboys',

their hands can compress a Bathroom scale past 300 lbs.....

I have proven that many times to disbelievers, when the scale maxed out at 250 lbs and I squeezed it to the end of the scale, well beyond that 250 mark.

Makes for some interesting moments, when the Football Jockey tries to make a Handshake super painful, I have crunched their bones when they try that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Fixing to be about 80F here this week. So much for winter.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:32 am Fixing to be about 80F here this week. So much for winter.
Yup, we TexMexOkies know the feeling

Wx.png
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It is time to look for the Flux Capacitor, Deloran Motors is expanding in Texas. Perhaps, if the price is right, a DMC could be seen driving the streets of San Antonio?
ErinSt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ErinSt »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:59 am
ErinSt wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:02 pm Ahh jeez, I always wanted to go to that festival when I was a student in Texas but never could because i was always working.
Why leave the Great State of Texas and go to Maine where it is cold cold cold. :?:
A really nice job hehehe.
I do loved Texas so much, but I got a nice offer and now I have a little nice house in the forest with the hubby, so things are well here too :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ErinSt wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:01 pm
I do loved Texas so much, but I got a nice offer and now I have a little nice house in the forest with the hubby, so things are well here too :D
One day I shall visit Maine, it is one of the places to go on the bucket list.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It was in the 30's this last weekend, yesterday it was 80F. Only in Texas. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.
ErinSt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ErinSt »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:22 am

You should, forest, hills, awesome fall, atlantic coast........... you cannot go wrong :D
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

ErinSt wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:47 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:22 am

You should, forest, hills, awesome fall, atlantic coast........... you cannot go wrong :D
Conveniently not mentioning black flies. :lol:
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

28 F here last night, supposed to 80F tomorrow... Only in Texas.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:34 pm 28 F here last night, supposed to 80F tomorrow... Only in Texas.
yeah,
was 21 here too....

went to sleep with a bottle of Chocolate Milk in my left hand.....

woke up fighting some subterranean monster from the deep near the Bahamas ( reading a sea thriller book )

that monster spewed his ugly breath all over my clean hoodie and yellow T-shirt.... :oops:

dogs were still outside and barking at the moon, called them in, dumped the hoodie and shirt in the bathroom sink and rubbed some Lava Hand soap on them, rinse and repeat 30 times, and threw them in the shower and back to bed, with new hoodie and shirt... :P
markz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markz »

I think Joe Rogan bought a big place in Austin for comedy on 6th street.
Kill Tony does his podcast at the Yellow and Red Rose strip club.
Last show (Monday d/l to yt) Joe Rogan showed up all drunk and high with his guests. He did the same about a month ago with some rappers. I guess when your making $10M/year he probably gets blazed and baked very often.

Return to “Open Chat”