Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 am At the Toyotal dealership getting vehicle maintenance on my Forerunner, and the lot is EMPTY! I have never seen a car lot with NO cars on it. Even the used car lot is empty! Wow.
Proof positive that the just-in-time parts for manufacturing model failed to factor in disruptions of the supply chain. There was a time when companies like GM which owned Delco were able to exercise more control of what was needed and when. Now not only are the parts increasingly sourced overseas but their availability may easily be influenced by the whims of political leaders outside our borders.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The last two days have been pretty nice, low humidity, hot, but not bad. Today, lots of humidity, and a possibility of rain coming.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

OMG! WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE! OMG! THERE IS A STORM COMING!!!!!! I love the hysteria over a tropical storm, closing beaches, schools, life. We have been suffering tropical storms and hurricanes for many, many years, but only recently have I seen the sheer level of hysteria over such. But I love watching the out of state media types who stand pretending to be almost blown away while locals just walk around them in normal clothing. It makes me laugh. I made it through the great flood of 1998 where we had water such as I have never seen before, where creeks rose 20-30 FEET in less than 8 hours! I don't get excited any more, but I also do not drive through low water crossings, or swift water either, I am NOT stupid, just sometimes clueless.... But holy smokes we have raised a generation of cowards who are afraid of everything.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

parents try to protect their children from the harshness of life in the past.

They have not taught them our History, so later on, They will repeat the Old Issues again.

May I suggest a certain figure who has greatly maligned our home country?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:12 am ...but I also do not drive through low water crossings, or swift water either,
Few years back, got a call from the other half about 8am. She'd driven through a flood in a local town on the way to work. She was okay until an idiot SUV coming the other way too fast created a bow wave that swamped the car. RAC (Royal Automobile Club) were called out, they replaced her sodden air filter and all was well. Less so for the bloke behind, his was a diesel and Mr RAC reckoned the engine was probably a write-off.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MurphCID wrote: Few years back, got a call from the other half about 8am. She'd driven through a flood in a local town on the way to work. She was okay until an idiot SUV coming the other way too fast created a bow wave that swamped the car. RAC (Royal Automobile Club) were called out, they replaced her sodden air filter and all was well. Less so for the bloke behind, his was a diesel and Mr RAC reckoned the engine was probably a write-off.
https://youtu.be/xMyfVnC6Hyo?t=33 <<< do you think this car will be ok after replace air filter? :cry: i wonder what goes on in your head watching your stuff wash away forever
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:12 amBut I love watching the out of state media types who stand pretending to be almost blown away while locals just walk around them in normal clothing.
The local weather idiots here also pull the 'almost blown away' stunt. Ida was mostly heavy rain and gusty winds, here - nothing to get excited about. At 9:00p, and as the storm approached, one of the local weather idiots did a live report from just outside a pissant town that is too small to qualify for a Dollar General* - the camera panned and he actually said, "As you can see, visibility is very low." Evidently he skipped class the day NIGHT was covered in Meterology 101.
I also do not drive through low water crossings, or swift water either, I am NOT stupid
Smart. I assume/hope that driving off-road during a thunderstorm is also on the list. I had a college friend who loved to go "mudding," and when moved to San Antonio I warned him not to go "mudding" before, during or immediately after a thunderstorm. The fool did not heed my warning, and he is now a statistic.

*For the non-USAians, Dollar General (Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, et al) is a chain of variety store - it sells everything from groceries and prescriptions to hardware and household goods. They are commonly located in rural areas and near lower income neighborhoods. For a rural community, getting a Dollar General or the like is the first step towards world domination (and getting a second stop sign). (You can google "mudding.")
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

As incredible as it may sound, we have serious flooding problems here in Arizona (rain is rare but can be intense when it happens). Despite constant warnings, we have have people who are stupid enough to drive through flooded waterways that are normally dry. We even have a Stupid Motorist law that not only fines people stupid enough to drive through flooded parts of roads, they get billed for the costs of their rescues. That doesn't stop the morons and we have people who die because of it, sadly often including children.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:34 am As incredible as it may sound, we have serious flooding problems here in Arizona (rain is rare but can be intense when it happens). Despite constant warnings, we have have people who are stupid enough to drive through flooded waterways that are normally dry. We even have a Stupid Motorist law that not only fines people stupid enough to drive through flooded parts of roads, they get billed for the costs of their rescues. That doesn't stop the morons and we have people who die because of it, sadly often including children.
I remember when Sheriff Joe instituted that law, right after some joker went up into Cave Creek Canyon and tried to swim across a low place, while the rushing waters were already tire height level......

Natcherly, it washed his Jeep down the stream and he was clamoring on top of the roof yelling for help....
He got quite the shock when Sheriff Joe hit him for the Rescue Effort costs.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Joe Arapio, former Maricopa County Sheriff (good riddance), didn't make that law although I'm sure he and other LEOs pushed for it. Sheriffs don't make laws, only legislatures do and it was the AZ State Legislature that made the law. Sadly,the law is extremely limited (unfortunately) and few have been charged with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_motorist_law
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:07 pm Joe Arapio, former Maricopa County Sheriff (good riddance), didn't make that law although I'm sure he and other LEOs pushed for it. Sheriffs don't make laws, only legislatures do and it was the AZ State Legislature that made the law. Sadly,the law is extremely limited (unfortunately) and few have been charged with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_motorist_law
What?
you didn't like his Pink underwear for the inmates, or the canvas tent jails?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:11 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:07 pm Joe Arapio, former Maricopa County Sheriff (good riddance), didn't make that law although I'm sure he and other LEOs pushed for it. Sheriffs don't make laws, only legislatures do and it was the AZ State Legislature that made the law. Sadly,the law is extremely limited (unfortunately) and few have been charged with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_motorist_law
What?
you didn't like his Pink underwear for the inmates, or the canvas tent jails?
Nope.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well a cold front is coming, it will only be in the lower 90's this week! YAY!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

How is that back doing?
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:33 am How is that back doing?
The back hurts, but the knee hurts worse. MRI Friday for the knee.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 pm
DOH! I meant the knee. Sorry! :oops:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 pm
DOH! I meant the knee. Sorry! :oops:
No problemo. It is all good.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MRI tomorrow, my supervisor just tested positive for COVID (I am both vaccinated and tested negative), and a Cool front is coming in, we will have mornings in the upper 60's!!! YAY!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MRI done, and back to the doctor on the 23rd. So with any luck I will be back 100% before long. My boss went out with COVID yesterday which sucks for us.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

My boss went out with COVID yesterday which sucks for us.
Im betting it sucks even more for him too...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”