Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by MurphCID »

The glory that is dark chocolate is that most people do not ask you to share it with them....

Upstairs on the Windows computer. Actually going to get to play some games today. Knee somewhat better.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pulled the wrap and bandages off, knee looks like heck, two incision sites, finally got a shower after wrapping the knee in cling wrap plastic to keep it dry. I feel so much better. Drinking a huge mug of strong black tea. Overcast and extremely humid, almost painfully so, which might be why the knee is throbbing. Moved laptops again (back to my office), did an update of the old Darter Pro which went from Manjaro 21.1.2 to 21.1.5/Kernel 5.14.7 and 5.14.10. Had the whole thing done in LESS than 10 minutes!!! Windows and Mac took 20-30 minutes plus reboots. 5.14 Kernel runs like a champ on the old Darter, no shutdown issues, no hardware issues, just a good clean working system.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am Pulled the wrap and bandages off, knee looks like heck, two incision sites, finally got a shower after wrapping the knee in cling wrap plastic to keep it dry. I feel so much better...
I'm glad you and your knee are doing better. I feel like I was it by a truck, a bus, and a train this morning (even my bum hurts after yeasterday's workout) but, at least, an Alleve, going back to bed, and a little time will fix that

MurphCID wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 am ...Moved laptops again (back to my office), did an update of the old Darter Pro which went from Manjaro 21.1.2 to 21.1.5/Kernel 5.14.7 and 5.14.10. Had the whole thing done in LESS than 10 minutes!!! Windows and Mac took 20-30 minutes plus reboots. 5.14 Kernel runs like a champ on the old Darter, no shutdown issues, no hardware issues, just a good clean working system.
You would almost think that Linux has less bloat than Windwoes.

Oh! Wait... Linux does have less bloat, much less!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Only in Texas is located the campsite where Francisco Vazquez de Coronado was in 1542 while on his trip to mythic Quivira.

The campsite is located on Blanco Canyon, near Floydada, south of Amarillo. It is now called Jimmy Owens site (as from site discoverer name).

Several Spanish artifacts have been found there, exposed in Floydada's history museum.

I was there years ago, and gave a conference about Fray Marcos de Niza and Coronado.

Regards,

MN
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MikeNovember wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:59 am Hi,

Only in Texas is located the campsite where Francisco Vazquez de Coronado was in 1542 while on his trip to mythic Quivira.

The campsite is located on Blanco Canyon, near Floydada, south of Amarillo. It is now called Jimmy Owens site (as from site discoverer name).

Several Spanish artifacts have been found there, exposed in Floydada's history museum.

I was there years ago, and gave a conference about Fray Marcos de Niza and Coronado.

Regards,

MN
Nice, not too terribly distant from Adobe Walls battlefield. Also Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Holy macaroni I am bored! I didn’t think I would say it but I am bored. I will be so happy to be able to get out of the house and move around some. I don’t think I would be as bored if I wasn’t nailed to the house with this leg. I am bored! Bored I tell you! I have updated every computer in this house at least twice. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstall again and now reinstalled Manjaro on the old laptop. I think I have watched just about every Linux video on YouTube that I can find that even vaguely interest me. I’m even watching them install BSD on machines. I think tomorrow even though the doctor does not want me to get out of the house I’m going to get out of the house. It may be on crutches but I’ve got to get out of the house!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:47 pm Holy macaroni I am bored! I didn’t think I would say it but I am bored. I will be so happy to be able to get out of the house and move around some. I don’t think I would be as bored if I wasn’t nailed to the house with this leg. I am bored! Bored I tell you! I have updated every computer in this house at least twice. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstall again and now reinstalled Manjaro on the old laptop. I think I have watched just about every Linux video on YouTube that I can find that even vaguely interest me. I’m even watching them install BSD on machines. I think tomorrow even though the doctor does not want me to get out of the house I’m going to get out of the house. It may be on crutches but I’ve got to get out of the house!
I know how you feel. The worst part of my first two foot surgeries was cabin fever. Fortunately, I had friends and my Daddy to help me get around.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:04 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:47 pm Holy macaroni I am bored! I didn’t think I would say it but I am bored. I will be so happy to be able to get out of the house and move around some. I don’t think I would be as bored if I wasn’t nailed to the house with this leg. I am bored! Bored I tell you! I have updated every computer in this house at least twice. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstall again and now reinstalled Manjaro on the old laptop. I think I have watched just about every Linux video on YouTube that I can find that even vaguely interest me. I’m even watching them install BSD on machines. I think tomorrow even though the doctor does not want me to get out of the house I’m going to get out of the house. It may be on crutches but I’ve got to get out of the house!
I know how you feel. The worst part of my first two foot surgeries was cabin fever. Fortunately, I had friends and my Daddy to help me get around.
I was going to totally disobey the doc and go out and get some Black Rifle Coffee, but it started raining, and I am not going to take a chance since I am not sure my knee is up to wet surfaces.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:49 am
I was going to totally disobey the doc and go out and get some Black Rifle Coffee, but it started raining, and I am not going to take a chance since I am not sure my knee is up to wet surfaces.
I had to look that up, and Wow!!!

I hate Starbucks with a Passion, ever since they opened their 1st store.
Way the gawd over priced, and for what?
the same stuff I can get OTC in a decent grocery store.

for myself, can't understand what people enjoy about coffee, it smells good, and tastes like chicken droppings.
grew up on a farm, milked cows for 13 years by hand , plenty of "good odors" to learn how they smell or "taste" accidentally :mrgreen:

at 78 years of age, I can still squeeze a set of bathroom scales to 250 lbs+
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:44 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:49 am
I had to look that up, and Wow!!!

I hate Starbucks with a Passion, ever since they opened their 1st store.
Way the gawd over priced, and for what?
the same stuff I can get OTC in a decent grocery store.

for myself, can't understand what people enjoy about coffee, it smells good, and tastes like chicken droppings.
grew up on a farm, milked cows for 13 years by hand , plenty of "good odors" to learn how they smell or "taste" accidentally :mrgreen:

at 78 years of age, I can still squeeze a set of bathroom scales to 250 lbs+
Starschucks is the worst coffee. Black Rifle is better, but the best locally since my favorite Coffeeshop closed their doors, is a place called On The Grind which is a drive up only place. They make a great cup of coffee. I decided to not go there today since I will be there tomorrow while I wait on my doctors appointment to check on my knee. Got a text from the hospital to check in for my pre-op tests just a little while ago. This left me puzzled since I had already had my surgery. I started getting concerned that maybe there is another surgery i need??? So I called and they made a mistake, and did not take it out of the computer properly and rescheduled me for extra tests. Got that taken care of thank goodness.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 am Starschucks is the worst coffee...
It's a bad product that has become a status symbol. I have a friend who swears Starbucks is Nirvana.

When I worked for Circle K (a convenience store) for a short while to supplement my pension before Social Security kicked in, I had I don't know how many customers tell me the coffee I made was better than the coffee other employees there and at other Circle Ks in the area made, many saying it was better than Starbucks (I'll agree it was way cheaper). My secret? Simple; I just THOROUGHLY clean the pots and the machine, especially machine, everyday. It only took an additional five minutes to do (10 minutes on Monday nights because the lazy weekend crew left it, and the whole store, in a horrible mess). That's it! The grounds came premixed in sealed packets.

The curious thing is I love the smell fresh coffee but I can't stand the taste of it, no matter how I doctor it. To me, coffee tastes nasty! I never could drink more than a swallow or two without wanting to puke!
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ugh Starschmucks is the worst coffee ever. The kids like it because they have sugar filled foo-foo drinks that appeal to kids. Yech. I am at Black Rifle Coffee right now, having survived the storm from last night. Heavy rain, thunder and lightning. We had both dogs in bed with us attempting to burrow under the covers. When you have a small golden retriever mix she can burrow let me tell you. We ended up with about 6 inches of rain in two hours. San Antonio and New Braunfels are flooding. Me, I am just happy to be out of the house. I tried to mow yesterday, and that was a BIG mistake with my knee. My Spouse-Unit, kids and friends all yelled at me for doing something like that. I thought it would be ok, no, it is not. But I got a little mowed before the deluge last night....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:32 am Ugh Starschmucks is the worst coffee ever. The kids like it because they have sugar filled foo-foo drinks that appeal to kids. Yech. I am at Black Rifle Coffee right now, having survived the storm from last night. Heavy rain, thunder and lightning. We had both dogs in bed with us attempting to burrow under the covers. When you have a small golden retriever mix she can burrow let me tell you. We ended up with about 6 inches of rain in two hours. San Antonio and New Braunfels are flooding. Me, I am just happy to be out of the house. I tried to mow yesterday, and that was a BIG mistake with my knee. My Spouse-Unit, kids and friends all yelled at me for doing something like that. I thought it would be ok, no, it is not. But I got a little mowed before the deluge last night....
Well, you can just add me to the list of people yelling at you to DON'T PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD! Consider yourself yelled at!

Seriously, you do not want to reinjure you knee and have to go though all the "fun" again!

In other news, my son up in the Dallas area recently had hernia surgery and may have to have surgery on the knee he blew out playing high school football. I pity his wife trying to make him behave until he has time to heal.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:04 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:32 am Ugh Starschmucks is the worst coffee ever. The kids like it because they have sugar filled foo-foo drinks that appeal to kids. Yech. I am at Black Rifle Coffee right now, having survived the storm from last night. Heavy rain, thunder and lightning. We had both dogs in bed with us attempting to burrow under the covers. When you have a small golden retriever mix she can burrow let me tell you. We ended up with about 6 inches of rain in two hours. San Antonio and New Braunfels are flooding. Me, I am just happy to be out of the house. I tried to mow yesterday, and that was a BIG mistake with my knee. My Spouse-Unit, kids and friends all yelled at me for doing something like that. I thought it would be ok, no, it is not. But I got a little mowed before the deluge last night....
Well, you can just add me to the list of people yelling at you to DON'T PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD! Consider yourself yelled at!

Seriously, you do not want to reinjure you knee and have to go though all the "fun" again!

In other news, my son up in the Dallas area recently had hernia surgery and may have to have surgery on the knee he blew out playing high school football. I pity his wife trying to make him behave until he has time to heal.
Yeah it is hurting more today than yesterday.... Perhaps that was not the wisest move on my part..... Work is screaming at me to get back to work ASAP!! They want me back immediately. Sheesh, I did not know I was that important. I sort of got a "Come back to work or there will be consequences" talk the other day.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 pm I sort of got a "Come back to work or there will be consequences" talk the other day.
Two Large mean looking guys with baseball bats to work on your other knee?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Maybe some leverage for a shorter working week and a glide to retirement?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:32 am I tried to mow yesterday, and that was a BIG mistake with my knee. My Spouse-Unit, kids and friends all yelled at me for doing something like that. I thought it would be ok, no, it is not. But I got a little mowed before the deluge last night....
I am ever so glad, that I bought a Bad Boy Zero Turn mower, we have 6 acres of grass and trees

Here it is on the Hi-Lift jack so I can pressure wash it, and change blades if necessary

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 pm ...Work is screaming at me to get back to work ASAP!! They want me back immediately. Sheesh, I did not know I was that important. I sort of got a "Come back to work or there will be consequences" talk the other day.
I've run into that kind of attitude from employers in the past and have gone back to work before I should have to avoid losing my job. :roll: There has been a trend in this country for employers to treat employees like chattel instead of human beings with lives outside of work, underpaying them, taking away benefits (if they even had them in the first place), and just generally treating them like crap. Since the start of the pandemic, many former and current employees have had it and are dropping out of the workspace completely or quitting to find better jobs (I got fed up with my last employer's Baloney Sausage and quit years before the pandemic hit; I had to seriously tighten my belt in the two years before Social Security kicked but it was worth it for me). This has caused a National shortage of employees, mostly in the service sector, such as restaurants, fast food, hospitality retail, etc.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:04 pm

The doc spoke firmly with me about my I’ll considered choice in mowing. He was pretty stern about it. But I get to go back to work next week as long as I use a cane. It was a very bad tear with lots of damage. The doc was not amused by my choice.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:04 pm The doc was not amused by my choice.
So why are you doing it? Over here if the doctor signs you off, decent companies pay sick pay at full salary for 6-12 months.

And remember, the graveyards of the world are full of indispensable people.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Open Chat”