Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by MurphCID »

Started out at 42F, and will get to 80+F today. Tis the season where everyone gets a cold from the weather shifts.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

San Antonio Int'l Airport officially reported a low of 39 and a high of 87. 48 degree jump over 9 hours. That is a serious warm-up.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:36 am San Antonio Int'l Airport officially reported a low of 39 and a high of 87. 48 degree jump over 9 hours. That is a serious warm-up.
Yes it was. Started out in long sleeves and a jacket, and ended the day in shorts and a t-shirt. Typical for San Antonio. But Medina County is on fire, almost 950 acres gone, and still burning. A combination of no rain, and low, low humidity has about done us in.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Broke a heat record this week, and my A/C went out. It was 38F this morning, and will be 81F this afternoon. If you do not like the weather wait five minutes and it will change. Texas, where we have three seasons: Summer, Still Summer, and Fixin' to be Summer.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The youngest called, she has a bad sinus infection from all the Pine pollen in Nacogdoches, I warned her to use her Neti-pot and saline rinse because she is not used to the massive and overwhelming clouds of pollen that come off of the pine trees. Overnight cars turn yellow-green and when it rains the streams are yellow green with all the pollen. Unless you have spent a spring in Nacogdoches, Texas you have no idea of the sheer volume of pollen.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:23 pm ...Unless you have spent a spring in Nacogdoches, Texas you have no idea of the sheer volume of pollen.
Nacodoches doesn't have a monopoly on massive amounts of pollen. Just the pollen from Mesquite trees here can be so plentiful, you can easily sweep it up into big, yellow piles (later on, they drop massive amounts of seed pods and tiny leaves). :roll: We have other sources of pollen here as well that cause massive amounts of misery for people with allergies. Some of that pollen can blow in from over a hundred miles away, such as Mountain Jumiper

Neti-pots can be messy and awkward to use. I use little squeeze bottle made by NeilMed (https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-100-Sinu ... 154&sr=8-5) to rinse out my nasal packages (I've had several allergist and doctors recommend them). These bottle are far less messy and more convenient to use than a neti-pot.

Also, when pollen counts are high, stay indoors as much as possible. Shower and change clothes as soon as possible after coming back indoors to get rid of any pollen clinging to your clothes and body. Keep your home as dust free as possible. Carpets should be vacuumed frequently, preferably daily (better yet, get rid of them; they are notorious for trapping allergens).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I despise Neti-pots,
have had two of them given to me by doctors.

Refuse to use the damn things,

I stick with 3% Sodium Simply Saline Allergy Relief...
Easy to carry with you, jacket pocket, in the car, bike saddle bag, have them all over the house.
Simply Saline Allergy-1.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:38 pm I despise Neti-pots,

Refuse to use the damn things...
I agree about the neti pots. Besides being messy, they just creep me out, like I'm sticking Aladdin's Lamp up my nose. Even the name is creepy.

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:38 pm ...I stick with 3% Sodium Simply Saline Allergy Relief...
Easy to carry with you, jacket pocket, in the car, bike saddle bag, have them all over the house.

Those things are more to moisten for dry nose tissues. They can give some relief from allergy symptoms but, to more properly clear out the nasal passages, a neti pot, or the squeeze bottle, I linked earlier is needed.

A neighbor I had a few decades ago was a nurse for the Royal Navy during WWII. She said she would have sailors with allergies, etc. snort seawater from their hand to get the crud out. After I had some sinus surgery, the surgeon essentially told me the same thing. It works but it is hard core; it will make you gag.

A few years later, when I was working often dusty Renaissance Festivals, when I took my shower in the evening, I would snort water from my cupped had to get rid of the black dust cakes--we "affectionately" called them "Faire Boogers"--in the nose. It was brutal--one couldn't help but gag--but it was quite effective.

I later had an allergist turn me onto the NeilMed squeeze bottles. They are much easier to use than a neti pot and aren't nearly as messy. As long as you use the proper saline solution and it's at the correct temperature (barely warm), they are not at all unpleasant to use as it may seem.

Someone make a gizmo that pumps the saline into one nostril and pulls it back out the other nostril, collecting in side the gizmo. The only reason I never tried one is it would take up too much room and would be harder to keep clean.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:57 pm
Those things are more to moisten for dry nose tissues. They can give some relief from allergy symptoms but, to more properly clear out the nasal passages, a neti pot, or the squeeze bottle, I linked earlier is needed.

[/quote]

a Squeeze Bottle cannot even come close to the Effectiveness of the Simply Saline sprays from Arm & Hammer, and it DOES wash out my sinuses all the way back down my throat.....

they must be the 3% Sodium Allergy version, not the weeny waisted 1% or less saline sprays, those are entirely useless.

the Allergy Spray version has a high pressure in the can, it sprays out hard, and washes every thing, IF, you hold it long enough...

and that is the theory behind the net.pots, but those things are low pressure, low volume things.
tired it once, and threw it in the trash.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:05 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:57 pm
a Squeeze Bottle cannot even come close to the Effectiveness of the Simply Saline sprays from Arm & Hammer, and it DOES wash out my sinuses all the way back down my throat.....

they must be the 3% Sodium Allergy version, not the weeny waisted 1% or less saline sprays, those are entirely useless.

the Allergy Spray version has a high pressure in the can, it sprays out hard, and washes every thing, IF, you hold it long enough...

and that is the theory behind the net.pots, but those things are low pressure, low volume things.
tired it once, and threw it in the trash.
[/quote]

Curious. I've tried saline sprays in the past and they weren't anywhere close to the effectiveness of the NeilMed squeeze bottle. The pressure of the bottle isn't as high as the spray but the volume from the bottle is far greater and can wash all kinds of crud out. I've never tried a neti pot so I can't comment on them.

You use salt packets in the NeilMed bottles that have a premeasured amount of salt and sodium bicarbonate in each packet. Normal use is one packet per use though a doctor may recommend more than one.
Jeannie

rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Looking now at the average July temps for Texas I can see why so many South Africans emigrated to there. The temps seem basically the same.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:27 am Looking now at the average July temps for Texas I can see why so many South Africans emigrated to there. The temps seem basically the same.
LOL I had not thought about that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:38 pm I despise Neti-pots,

Refuse to use the damn things,

I stick with 3% Sodium Simply Saline Allergy Relief...

I use mine, and it does not bother me. My daughter hates hers. We both use the saline that you do as well.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It has been cloudy, and looking like rain, but alas, no rain for the last couple of days. Humidity has come back and it somewhat miserable.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RAIN!!! Glorious RAIN! I love it, we need it, I am so happy we are getting rain. Yes, I will have to mow my yard, but I do not care. I just want the rain, slow steady rain.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:17 am RAIN!!! Glorious RAIN! I love it, we need it, I am so happy we are getting rain. Yes, I will have to mow my yard, but I do not care. I just want the rain, slow steady rain.
We too have had a wet spring, wonderful that is...
we had almost 70 Volunteer trees sprout up 3 years ago, first time in 12 years we have been on our six acres of bliss....

We have poured 200-300 gallons of water on them the past two summers, trying to keep them alive....
the clouds drifted away yesterday morning and I went out to look at the Grass Burrs, oh yes, you MUST keep a close eye out for those things, and never let them bud out into spiny things that will attack your feet and clothes.

Jumped on the Zero Turn mower and set it for 2.5 inches cutting height, I mowed about 2 acres, and my daughter pushed hard and pretty much cut 2 acres also..... when it dries off a bit this afternoon, I have to finish up the rest...

Oh, we lost 3 of the Volunteer trees over the winter cold, we hit -15 to -20 *F for more than 7 days in a row :x
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Hey Murph!!!!

I was in ACE Hardware store today in Owasso, OK and guess what I saw ???

an up front; end of isle display of

Black River Coffee.jpg
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:02 pm Hey Murph!!!!

I was in ACE Hardware store today in Owasso, OK and guess what I saw ???

an up front; end of isle display of

Black River Coffee.jpg
Nice, now THAT is a hardware store!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Heavy rain last night with Thunder. Glad to see it, even if I have to mow the grass, at least it was raining. It is going to be 100F this weekend, and that presages a really, really hot, miserable summer is coming. I am SO NOT looking forward to that.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

It seems like it has been raining every day for the last week here.

the open wash tub in the driveway collected 2.5 inches two days ago,
It rained all day yesterday and is still raining this morning.

and it appears it won't be letting up for a while here

Raining.jpg

Return to “Open Chat”