Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by MurphCID »

This has been the oddest summer I can recall. Lots of rain (YAY!), a coworker made $17,000 in one weekend cutting and bailing hay. But we have gone quite a while with NO hurricanes in the Gulf hitting Texas (I am NOT complaining). Temperatures have broken 100 F on ONE day this year so far (three years ago we had 70 straight days of no rain and 100+ temperatures). I have found two scorpions in the office, in all the years I have been there I have NEVER seen a scorpion in the office. Both were annoyingly active and angry... They died.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Both were annoyingly active and angry... They died.
Im sure they died with just a wee bit of help with extreme prejudice...lol...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:58 am
Im sure they died with just a wee bit of help with extreme prejudice...lol...DAMIEN
Yes, with Extremely extreme prejudice. Just finished mowing and dodging red wasps, the humidity is like a sauna.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The dog days of summer are here. Ugh, hot and humid.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I feel your pain with humidity. I learned something new yesterday: Hell is humid. Nobody ever told me that. I always thought it was a dry heat.

The last couple of days, we have been having abnormally high humidity here (again). Yesterday, it was even higher when, around noon, my AC decided to die. Fortunately, my AC guy was able to squeeze me in between scheduled jobs before I completely melted (I was feeling like the Wicked Witch of the West after her final encounter with Dorothy). Adding insult to injury, when the AC went out, the water was also off so I couldn't cool down in the shower.

It turned out that the high limit switch in the AC was kaput. Of course, it has to be ordered (I live in a cotton pickin' megalopolis and you can't buy a darned thing locally here :roll: ) so my AC guy simply bypassed the switch until the replacement comes in later this week. Of course, once the AC was finally putting out cool air, then the water came back on.

Even with AC, it's still miserably humid in the house. Everything is damp: clothes, bed linens, towels, me, etc.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:09 am The dog days of summer are here. Ugh, hot and humid.
Look on the bright side ... there is almost no chance an Evil Doer is hiding in the back of your car.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:58 am
Yes, with Extremely extreme prejudice. Just finished mowing and dodging red wasps, the humidity is like a sauna.
I was working on my Utility enclosed trailer, and some Yellow Jackets had crawled through a screw hole, it was a tiny one too.

He came out of the hole and hit my thumb so hard, I swear his stinger ended up in China :evil:

Took a week for that to quit bothering me, took 3 days for it to subside low enough that I could sleep w/o waking up from the pain.

Used:
HydroCortizone
Itch Away
Vinegar

the Vinegar seemed to work the best overall, but the Itch Away gave me Instant Relief for a while,

I also have a bottle of Lidocaine HCI 4%, that works well also....

I kept bouncing between all of those products looking for relief.....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:52 pm

I was working on my Utility enclosed trailer, and some Yellow Jackets had crawled through a screw hole, it was a tiny one too.

He came out of the hole and hit my thumb so hard, I swear his stinger ended up in China :evil:

Took a week for that to quit bothering me, took 3 days for it to subside low enough that I could sleep w/o waking up from the pain.

Used:
HydroCortizone
Itch Away
Vinegar

the Vinegar seemed to work the best overall, but the Itch Away gave me Instant Relief for a while,

Meat tenderizer is supposed to work pretty well:

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/article ... -of-stings
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

slipstick wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:01 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Used:
HydroCortizone
Itch Away
Vinegar

Meat tenderizer is supposed to work pretty well:

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/article ... -of-stings
I have heard that as well. I've never used it, but several people say the same thing.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Slightly off track but if anyone is working with epoxy, the cleaner to use is white vinegar. Things such a acetone will also do a clean-up but I don't suggest you drink it. You can drink vinegar without harm.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:28 am Slightly off track but if anyone is working with epoxy, the cleaner to use is white vinegar. Things such a acetone will also do a clean-up but I don't suggest you drink it. You can drink vinegar without harm.
Brilliant idea! Thanks. Also 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the wash sets colors, and removes the smell of decomposition (from dead bodies) from your clothing. It also removes the scum that forms inside your a/c drain line which clogs it up.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:41 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:09 am The dog days of summer are here. Ugh, hot and humid.
Look on the bright side ... there is almost no chance an Evil Doer is hiding in the back of your car.
OMG it is HOT here. No days over 100...yet so I guess we can call it a rather cool summer. Wanting for the rain to return, so that things keep growing.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:57 am
Brilliant idea! Thanks. Also 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the wash sets colors, and removes the smell of decomposition (from dead bodies) from your clothing. It also removes the scum that forms inside your a/c drain line which clogs it up.
My HVAC drain line is about 12 inches away from the Hot Water Tank.

I just unscrew the garden hose from the HVAC, then thread it onto the spigot on the HWT.

turn on the HW spigot and let it run for about 5 minutes,
2 jobs done at once.
The drain line gets flushed with 120* water, and the HWT get the sediments blown out of it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Link to train hitting truck carrying large wind turbine blade. Only in Texas !

viewtopic.php?p=2060661#p2060661
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

slipstick wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm Link to train hitting truck carrying large wind turbine blade. Only in Texas !

No kidding!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

slipstick wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm Link to train hitting truck carrying large wind turbine blade. Only in Texas !

Im sure the trucker had no idea of this turn going over railroad tracks making it almost impossible for him to negotiate this maneuver, especially with a fast train approaching, but the lead pilot vehicle driver should have known if he was doing his job properly

I am sure Texas motor vehicle laws as well as ICC and NTSB rules and regulations require a pilot vehicle in front and a buffer "chase" vehicle following up in the rear of any "unusual" load vehicles like this one???.

If so, the truck driver was just following the pilot vehicles instruction as he is the one thats supposed to know the way...The pilot driver is in for a world of hurtin for certain.

Im sure that pickup truck in front of the tractor/trailer that was stopped and then tried to get out of the way, was the pilot vehicle.

Notice the pickup with the electronic sign poster unit on the top and the flags jutting out from the sides as the pilot driver races to move his truck out of the way of the "T/T" just before the train hits...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_l4WAwm9kw
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yep, and it was close one of the very best BBQ places in the world: Luling City Market.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Cooler weather is starting to show up, it was 68F this morning. So it will be 100F this afternoon, but the cooling trend is here. So Fall is only three months away.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

we water our new volunteer trees with a golf cart attached to a trailer,
I rigged up a RV high volume water pump to a garden hose, and a 55 gallon barrel for the water supply.

Takes about 1 hour usually to water 70 some trees,
today the temp was at 60*F and the AGM Off Grid battery was so lethargic, that it took twice as long to pump the required amount of water.

Hope we don't need to water too much longer, that battery has a Warning Label on the side, "Do NOT use at temps below 70*F"

it needs to be brought into the house and kept warm thru the winter, we keep the house at 68-70 in the winter.

Makes me wonder about all of those OFF GRID Solar systems that I see on the TV show "Off Grid Homesteads"

even with putting the battery banks inside a building, and it insulated super good, it is hard to keep them at 70*F

and then with 30-45 days of Overcast and no sun...... ummm, makes me wonder how those batteries do next year.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

At the Toyotal dealership getting vehicle maintenance on my Forerunner, and the lot is EMPTY! I have never seen a car lot with NO cars on it. Even the used car lot is empty! Wow.

Return to “Open Chat”