Only in Texas....

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Only in Texas....

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 am While driving to East Texas you are dodging possums and armadillos on the highway! Highway 21 is two lanes and wooded. Lordy I LOVE Nacogodoches! My alma Mater is the University here. I graduated far, far too many years ago.
It's funny; when I lived in Abilene for the better part of four years, I saw only one armadillo and no possums. My late ex and I spent part of our honeymoon at Possum Kingdom Lake and only saw bandits (aka raccoons; cheeky little buggers).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 amLordy I LOVE Nacogodoches! My alma Mater is the University here. I graduated far, far too many years ago.
I too graduated from Stephen F Austin in Nacogdoches. I spent most of my free time at the college, fishing for crappie at "Big Sam" (Sam Rayburn lake at Etoile).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Night Wing wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:16 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 amLordy I LOVE Nacogodoches! My alma Mater is the University here. I graduated far, far too many years ago.
I too graduated from Stephen F Austin in Nacogdoches. I spent most of my free time at the college, fishing for crappie at "Big Sam" (Sam Rayburn lake at Etoile).
It is still the most beautiful campus in Texas. I am so proud the youngest is going there.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I am BACK in Nacogodoches for registration, managed to make it in by 2200 hours, but it looks like today will be later than that on the return trip. Oh joy, Oh, Joy. I left the Spouse Unit and daughter in their orientation/registration pre-seminar, and am using the University's WiFi for now, I had forgotten how humid Nacogdoches is when there is overcast. Fortunately it is relatively cool. Have a bit of a clothing challenge, I had a BBQ sandwich commit suicide on my lime green polo shirt last night on the way up. Now I am stuck in University T-Shirts. Oh, well.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lots of good rain here, glad to have it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:17 am Lots of good rain here, glad to have it.
If you get too much, send some of it our way. It's drier than a bone here.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:17 am Lots of good rain here, glad to have it.
Likewise here, and fortunately, it has been a slow rain without creating a lot of floods.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Message from the other side of the world: it's cold and rainy here, as well. Coldest spring in years. :(

Probably the only ones happy with that are the asparagus farmers over here: the asparagus grows more slowly because of the cold, so market prices are higher. One (not so small) general advantage: the bloody oak processionary caterpillars are suffering as well, so that means less of their venom hairs in the coming summer (if it ever comes...).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:27 pm Message from the other side of the world: it's cold and rainy here, as well. Coldest spring in years. :(

Probably the only ones happy with that are the asparagus farmers over here: the asparagus grows more slowly because of the cold, so market prices are higher. One (not so small) general advantage: the bloody oak processionary caterpillars are suffering as well, so that means less of their venom hairs in the coming summer (if it ever comes...).
Things that make you unsure of the weather forecasts.... Those caterpillars are known here, and they are terrible. Well I am off to school again this week, so I get my mandated hours of training before 1 September.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

We have had so much rain that we are pretty much saturated. My grass is actually green, and growing (Amazing!).
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

My grass is actually green, and growing
I feel like Charlie Brown on halloween...All i get are rocks...lol...nothing but gravel and rocks in my yard here in the high desert of New Mexico...i envy you your "green"...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:49 pm
My grass is actually green, and growing
I feel like Charlie Brown on halloween...All i get are rocks...lol...nothing but gravel and rocks in my yard here in the high desert of New Mexico...i envy you your "green"...DAMIEN
Same here. In sunny AZ, we had one of our driest winters ever and the outlook for summer is just as desiccated.

I love my gravel yard, though; it's so low maintenance. I never saw the sense in watering and fertilizing grass to make it grow only to keep cutting it back down again.
Jeannie

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I love my gravel yard, though; it's so low maintenance.
Low maintenance ???...Did you forget about the "goat heads", tumbleweeds and Mesquite that we have to constantly chop, pull out, or otherwise try to exterminate and eradicate with next to zero results...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:19 pm
I love my gravel yard, though; it's so low maintenance.
Low maintenance ???...Did you forget about the "goat heads", tumbleweeds and Mesquite that we have to constantly chop, pull out, or otherwise try to exterminate and eradicate with next to zero results...lol...DAMIEN
A properly made gravel yard will have weed cloth laid down before the gravel, dramatically reducing the amount of weeds growing but still allowing rain water to percolate through it instead of running off. My yard was laid way the hey back before I moved there when they used polyethylene sheeting instead of weed cloth. The poly is in horrible shape now so it's essentially permeable to water and weed roots. A biodegradable pre-emergent herbicide applied every six months to only the graveled areas stops weeds, "goat heads" (we always called them "bull heads"), or anything else green from ever sprouting. Paying a pro to do the job is far less expensive than doing it myself (not to mention easier and safer). Being old and handicapped, pulling weeds is just not an option for me anymore, not to mention the heat here much of the year is murder.
Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Rain? We are having right now what some are saying is a one-in-two hundred year event. It was supposed to easy about 3 hours ago but seems to have increased. Bridges washed out, villages evacuated etc.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:05 pm We have had so much rain that we are pretty much saturated. My grass is actually green, and growing (Amazing!).
much the same here,
I have had to cut the grass with it still damp, which causes the grass to pack up under the mower deck :evil: :evil:

we are not getting enough dry days to allow cutting grass w/o it packing up under the deck.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:18 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:05 pm We have had so much rain that we are pretty much saturated. My grass is actually green, and growing (Amazing!).
much the same here,
I have had to cut the grass with it still damp, which causes the grass to pack up under the mower deck :evil: :evil:

we are not getting enough dry days to allow cutting grass w/o it packing up under the deck.
ROTLMAO! I did the same on Saturday and the mower kept choking out from the grass! But it was then or never, it has rained more yesterday as well, a very hard rain for about an hour.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

MurphCID wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:49 am
much the same here,

ROTLMAO! I did the same on Saturday and the mower kept choking out from the grass! But it was then or never, it has rained more yesterday as well, a very hard rain for about an hour.
I'll wind up mowing twice, hopefully when a little drier. First with the mower deck set for a high cut followed by lower height setting.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

chiefjim wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:11 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:49 am

much the same here,

I'll wind up mowing twice, hopefully when a little drier. First with the mower deck set for a high cut followed by lower height setting.
That’s too easy :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

much the same here,

Bermuda is a popular lawn grass since it withstands our blistering summer heat well but it tends to die back during the winter. A few decades ago, when I had a lawn, I made the horrible mistake of sowing rye grass over the Bermuda for a winter lawn. I got a nice green lawn from it but that stuff grew like weeds on steroids (I'm convinced I could see it grow), needing far more frequent mowing, and that stuff would form a thick, nasty, green mush under the mower that, if it wasn't scooped and hosed out immediately after mowing, would harden like green concrete. :roll: It took three years for that "crop" (more like crap) to finally completely die out over summer.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”