Steve Jobs saying Mac OS X Linux like OS

Chat about just about anything else
asifnaz
Level 1
Level 1

Steve Jobs saying Mac OS X Linux like OS

Post by asifnaz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 am

I posted on some Linux related forums that in first ever Mac OS X presentation Steve Jobs said it is "Linux like" operating system . Almost all replies were no he said "Unix-like" .

Now I have found that video again .Please listen at 3:00 and let me know the context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4V3G4NqII&t=180

Thank you and please comment
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Stave Jobs saying Mac OS X Linux like OS

Post by xenopeek » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 am

It says "Linux-like" in the slides so just post a sceencap of that and the timestamped video link to whatever board you were having these online arguments on. Does it really matter one way or another what was said 20 years ago in a commercial presentation? Also, he's dead Jim.

He's talking about Darwin being Linux-like. That should not come as a surprise. Darwin is basically the non-graphical core of macOS. It's derived from BSD and mostly POSIX compliant. GNU/Linux is also mostly POSIX compliant. That means you'll find many basic terminal commands present on both systems and the command syntax will be similar (Linux extends POSIX but commands may have an option to switch to POSIX mode). If you're familiar with the terminal on either system, you'll find the terminal easier to use on the other system than on pre-WSL Windows.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Stave Jobs saying Mac OS X Linux like OS

Post by rene » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:17 am

And on the other hand, the statement there that "it's got free bsd unix, which is the same as linux" shows nicely just how much "Stave Jobs" knew of what he was talking about in the first place.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Steve Jobs saying Mac OS X Linux like OS

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:50 am

Jobs said OS X was very similar to Linux when OS X first came out. It originally used the Mach kernel, which is another Unix-like kernel meant as a drop in replacement.

However, OS X is not GNU/Linux, which is what "Linux' eg Mint actually is. GNU/Linux uses a FOSS wrapper, OS X uses a highly proprietary one. You can only comapre them so far. ANdroid is similar in this.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 pm

asifnaz wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 am
I posted on some Linux related forums that in first ever Mac OS X presentation Steve Jobs said it is "Linux like" operating system . Almost all replies were no he said "Unix-like" .

Now I have found that video again .Please listen at 3:00 and let me know the context
In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, how in the world would Reliant be unable to differentiate between Ceti Alpha V and VI? There's no way two different planets would be so similar that advanced, late 23rd century Starfleet computer systems couldn't tell them apart.

Also, if Starfleet intended to keep Khan and his people isolated because they were considered that much of a threat, why allow Reliant to go to that system in the first place? Surely bumming one planet in the system with the Genesis Device would have violated whatever safety protocols clearly existed in light of Dr. Marcus's argument with Captain Terrell when they had first arrived on-orbit.

In Galactica 1980 Galactica Discovers Earth, it's revealed the Colonials have time-travel technology. Why didn't they use it to stop the Holocaust in the first place? Are the lives of their fellow Colonials, who perished in the Cylon attacks, worth so little?

Get the point?
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 beta.

Also looking for a new job.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 am

I was listening to the radio today and they had Siri on the show. I can only link to the page of the podcast - How do I embed audio links?
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am

I must say you guys aren't disappointing me, treating a thread concerning a Steve Jobs speech as being ultimately topical for random blabber. Very good.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:56 am

Portreve wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 pm
asifnaz wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 am

In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, how in the world would Reliant be unable to differentiate between Ceti Alpha V and VI? There's no way two different planets would be so similar that advanced, late 23rd century Starfleet computer systems couldn't tell them apart.

Also, if Starfleet intended to keep Khan and his people isolated because they were considered that much of a threat, why allow Reliant to go to that system in the first place? Surely bumming one planet in the system with the Genesis Device would have violated whatever safety protocols clearly existed in light of Dr. Marcus's argument with Captain Terrell when they had first arrived on-orbit.

In Galactica 1980 Galactica Discovers Earth, it's revealed the Colonials have time-travel technology. Why didn't they use it to stop the Holocaust in the first place? Are the lives of their fellow Colonials, who perished in the Cylon attacks, worth so little?

Get the point?
No, but then again neither do you.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:44 pm

My point was this: this is an ancient presentation by someone who isn't even alive any longer, so arguing about it is kind of pointless.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 beta.

Also looking for a new job.

Return to “Open chat”