Chat about just about anything else
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

GPS Maps can steer you wrong and be very dangerous to your life

Post by farkas »

Local news report:
https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/GPS-m ... 50702.html
“We are seeing an increasing trend of drivers choosing to blindly follow a GPS into areas they are not familiar with and as we have seen in other areas, this could have turned out tragic, I’m grateful this time it didn’t,”
Don't rely on alternate routes shown in GPS maps in winter. They are OK in summer when the roads are clear and dry. In winter, especially with heavy snow, they can be deadly. It really happened a couple of years ago.
Be careful and stay on maintained main roads.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Re: GPS Maps can steer you wrong and be very dangerous to your life

Post by LanceM »

Maybe mankind will only be happy with total consciousness implants :(
Last edited by LanceM on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
msseufert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msseufert »

farkas wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 pm
We are seeing an increasing trend of drivers choosing to blindly follow a GPS into areas they are not familiar with [...]
That's the problem. GPSs are tools, not autopilots. It's not the GPSs fault that people don't know how to use them. IF you accidentally smash your finger with a hammer, is it the hammers fault? or yours? :)

GPSs rely on maps and maps are never 100% accurate .. shocking I know ... exercise due diligence and do some research; all will be well.
Intel i7 6-core 5820k overclocked to 4.4Ghz; 64GB ram
Linux Mint 20 (cinnamon)
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

farkas wrote:
Local news report:
“We are seeing an increasing trend of drivers choosing to blindly follow a GPS into areas they are not familiar with and as we have seen in other areas, this could have turned out tragic, I’m grateful this time it didn’t,”
Don't rely on alternate routes shown in GPS maps in winter. They are OK in summer when the roads are clear and dry. In winter, especially with heavy snow, they can be deadly. It really happened a couple of years ago.
Common sense is remarkably uncommon
Horse sence makes sence
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RollyShed »

When rental cars started to have GPS a classic story evolved. An Australian couple landed at our local international airport not long before mid night, rented a car and wanted to drive about 480 km north. Halfway there, following the GPS instructions they were now on a gravel road and eventually, after having to open gates, came to a locked one. The GPS was set to "shortest route". The rental company after that, altered their GPS settings.

When we are travelling, I'm the navigator, copilot, and use an atlas or large paper maps. GPS, if fitted and if working, tends to tell us where we are. The paper map tells us where we can go to get to our destination.

Last week we had a rental car for 4 days and its mapping was working but no matter what I did, there was no GPS. I bought a paper map not far up the road so we could find our way. Next morning, What!!?? the GPS was working and knew were the car was and it worked for the rest of the rental time. However I did keep picking up free paper maps at information offices.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I always keep a paper map in the car. Navigation systems are great, but as with computers, one needs to have a backup!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:27 am
I always keep a paper map in the car. Navigation systems are great, but as with computers, one needs to have a backup!
Same here. Furthermore, before embarking on a longish trip into a hitherto unknown area, I always do a rough "paper map check" of the route my navigation device proposes.

Such a check takes about half a minute to do, and can save you huge amounts of delays and headaches. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

We were relying on GPS to find our daughter's place in Brisbane. We knew roughly where she lived, but the GPS kept on bringing us back to the same point. Roadworks that had closed the normal route! We ended up ignoring the silly thing until it decided that we were not going to listen to it any more. Like any tool uncommon sense is required to use it to it's best potential.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

I have found as I get older that I am less able to navigate with maps while driving and am more reliant on GPS. But... I have had occasions where it thinks the postcode is somewhere other than it should be and it has taken me down country lanes not much wider than the car. I did have one excitement over ten years ago with tom tom - sent me through a ford about a mile from where I now live. Said ford is about three feet deep, okay for a tractor, not the sports car I had at the time. I did turn round. Now, if it is somewhere new I check on google maps first.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

as mentioned, "shortest routes" can get you into trouble quick.

if I have a strange GPS in front of me, I first look at Settings and set it to "Fastest time".
most of the time, they will keep you on wide paved roads.

also, locking out unpaved roads is a good tool to click on.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

The last year I worked as a marine tech we received a badly damaged bass boat to be repaired.
The bow and starboard side of the boat was totally destroyed. The owner had been fishing on a large lake the day before
and had marked his route on his gps for the next day.
He launched the next day in heavy fog and followed the way points until he rammed a floating dock that had broken from its mooring
during the night.

He only got a few bruises and very wet, hut his boat was totaled, and a lot of fishing gear was lost.
Common sense over gps any day.
rumpus
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

For my job, I use Google Navigation five days a week (most weeks) and on the whole, it's great. However, what I have noticed is that sometimes it gives ridiculous routes. For example, it will tell you to exit the interstate at an overpass, then basically do a gigantic u-turn to get back on the Interstate. Or, it will have you go through an intersection where your destination is at and go up the road and make a u-turn and come back to it, when there is absolutely no reason.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

My wife and I spent 12 days out west last Sept. I will admit our iPhones and Googlemaps was brain dead out there. I keep road maps and still have a Garmin nuvi.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

hasnobrain.jpeg
hasnobrain.jpeg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 823 times

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

They don't actually say that any of the stuck people used GPS/computer maps to get stuck, rather than paper maps, or why following a GPS map is somehow worse than following a paper map.

I think "officials with Jackson County Roads and the Sheriff's Office" are trying to cover their asses because they blocked a main road and diverted people unto unsuitable road(s).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rjsrjs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rjsrjs »

The safest way, just don't travel in bad weather. Especially in unknown areas. Stay home.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

This has been going on for a bit now. A few years ago someone here in the Maritimes turned onto a road recommended by the satnav, which turned out to be an old logging road. And got stuck there for 2 days in winter.

My favorite was someone in England though. They were driving along the sea and the satnav tild them to turn and drive right into the ocean. WHich they did.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and watch those GPS :shock:
1.jpg
1.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 772 times
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:24 am
My favorite was someone in England though. They were driving along the sea and the satnav tild them to turn and drive right into the ocean. WHich they did.
We do have the odd island linked to the mainland by road on a tidal causeway but only accessible at low tide, e.g. St Michaels Mount and Lindisfarne. So not quite as stupid as it would first appear, piccy is Lindisfarne. :D
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
vansloneker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vansloneker »

farkas wrote:
Local news report:
lsemmens wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:47 am
We were relying on GPS to find our daughter's place in Brisbane. We knew roughly where she lived, but the GPS kept on bringing us back to the same point. Roadworks that had closed the normal route! We ended up ignoring the silly thing until it decided that we were not going to listen to it any more. Like any tool uncommon sense is required to use it to it's best potential.
Okay, but how much snow do you see in Australia?
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

Return to “Open chat”