[IGNORE] Python2 EOL

Chat about just about anything else
Hexeratops
Level 1
Level 1

[IGNORE] Python2 EOL

Post by Hexeratops »

So it's finally happening; after 10 years, Python 2.7 is 14 days away from end of life. It stopped receiving feature updates in 2015, and starting Jan 1st 2020, it will no longer be receiving security patches.

While it's obviously not going to die as soon as the new year strikes, the gears are in motion. Ubuntu 20.04, the future base of Linux Mint 20, will be dropping python2 from the default installation. Packages with it as a dependency will remain available in Ubuntu's repos for now, but it sounds like the Debian maintainers are actively working on trying to remove it from their repository entirely for their next release.

I think it's kind of amazing how much legacy software is dying off in January. Other than Python 2.7, Windows 7 is also reaching end of life; Microsoft is also pushing out its Chromium-based web browser the same month. Back on the note of Python though, I'm really looking forward to finally seeing 3.x take over and not having to specify python3 and pip3.

What are your thoughts though?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't know this was already discussed. I'm just going to quietly pretend this never happened.
Last edited by Hexeratops on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Python2 EOL

Post by murray »

Yeah, this was discussed a bit in another thread.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Open chat”