Replacement for Lithium Ion Batteries?

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Replacement for Lithium Ion Batteries?

Post by Portreve »

Gizmodo: IBM Research Created a New Battery That Outperforms Lithium-Ion—No Problematic Heavy Metals Required
Gizmodo wrote: As a potential solution, scientists at IBM Research’s Battery Lab came up with a new design that replaces the need for cobalt and nickel in the cathode, and also uses a new liquid electrolyte (the material in a battery that helps ions move from one end to the other) with a high flash point. The combination of the new cathode and the electrolyte materials was also found to limit the creation of lithium dendrites which are spiky structures that often develop in lithium-ion batteries that can lead to short circuits. So not only would this new battery have less of an impact on the environment to manufacture, but it would also be considerably safer to use, with a drastically reduced risk of fire or explosions.
Discuss.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Replacement for Lithium Ion Batteries?

Post by ugly »

I have low expectations when it comes to news about battery improvements. It seems like every couple of months there's an article about some new technology that will improve batteries, and then you never heard about it again.

old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by old_noob »

ugly wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 am
I have low expectations when it comes to news about battery improvements. It seems like every couple of months there's an article about some new technology that will improve batteries, and then you never heard about it again.
Don't know about the particulars in the article, but it seems to me that battery tech is advancing at a mind boggling pace. They just keep getting better and cheaper for all applications. Many of my power tools weigh half of what they did 10 years ago and are more... powerful.

Sort of related, people have been looking at alternatives like aluminum ion batteries that are cheaper and safer than Li-ion, but so far cannot match the power output in a reasonably sized package. This may still be a promising avenue for renewable energy storage or home power where size doesn't matter so much.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

In my ideal world, I would own all Hilti power tools with modern Li-Ion (or, eventually, a better successor) batteries.

I've never used power tools, whether corded or battery-powered, from any manufacturer, which came even remotely close to Hilti.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Years ago my younger brother was involved with racing 1/10 scale rc cars. This was back when nickel cadmium batteries and motors with bushes were the norm. Then, in the quest for longer run times and faster cars, people started racing gas powered cars. (The so-called "gas" is actually a blend of methanol and nitromethane). Due to their higher purchase cost and maintenance costs my bother lost interest in racing on a competitive level. They became the dominate force in rc racing for probably 10-15 years.

Then along came the combination of lithium ion batteries and more efficient brushless motors, offering similar run times and similar speed as the gas cars at a lower cost.The pendulum has swung back the other way and now electric cars are on the upswing and gas cars are on the decline.
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

ugly wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 am
I haven't read the article, but in my lifetime batteries have gone from lead-acid to zinc-carbon to nickel cadmium to nickel-metal hydride to lithium ion. That's a lot of change, so it's not unreasonable to expect more.
Cliff Coggin

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Derek_S wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:50 pm
Then along came the combination of lithium ion batteries and more efficient brushless motors, offering similar run times and similar speed as the gas cars at a lower cost.The pendulum has swung back the other way and now electric cars are on the upswing and gas cars are on the decline.
Oh, the LiPo batteries! I used to fly rc helicopters (not the ones you call drones). LiPo battery technology made the rc helis more powerful than those powered with glow/nitro engines.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Open chat”