Win10 is an abomination

Chat about just about anything else
AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Win10 is an abomination

Post by AZgl1500 »

I was forced to reboot into Win10 tonight to help a friend download 19.3 and make an ISO thumbdrive.
Doing this on the telephone with a guy who refuses to wait and ask questions as to "how do I do this?"
argh!!! I just wanted to hang up on him and say "goodbye" forever.... oh well, got it done.

While in Win10, after we finished, I needed to log into TurboTax and download this year's EXE 2019 program. I always store my software installation files in C:/INSTALLS

I never, ever, trust Microsoft with MyDocuments.... I have been burned with loosing data there too many times in the far gone past.....

Well, as a "normal user" in Win10, you are NOT allowed to see the C:/ drive, therefore, I could not save, or copy the new Turbox Tax program files to c:/installs.

what a frickin mess they have turned WinSlop into...
I had to log out, then login as an Administrator to get that job done....
even then, the File Manager is an abomination also.... they hide "THIS PC" making it damn near impossible to find the root drive..... sheesh!!!

glad that is all done now, won't have to use Win10 again until the 1099R forms are sent out to me...
go thru the horrible process of entering the new info, send the $$$$ off via E-File and get rid of Win10 for another year.

glad I can dual boot into 19.3 Cinnamon, what a friend it is to me.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Win10 is an abomination

Post by farkas »

Why fight with Win10 if all you use it for taxes? Answer:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes ... /00/571599
The post mentions using Wine, just a thought.

I have used turbo tax online in LM ever since I ditched win, about 5 yrs. ago, with no problems.
Turbo Tax already has your tax info in their system somewhere, if you filed online. At the end of it you'll still have to get on line to to submit your returns. Unless you print them out and send them by snail mail.
AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 am
Win10 is an abomination
I agree 100%
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I just filed mine using TurboTax Online, and have done for the past eight or nine years. Can't imagine doing it any other way.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

AZgl1500 wrote:
I was forced to reboot into Win10 tonight to help a friend download 19.3 and make an ISO thumbdrive.
Doing this on the telephone with a guy who refuses to wait and ask questions as to "how do I do this?"
argh!!! I just wanted to hang up on him and say "goodbye" forever.... oh well, got it done.
This might make you smile https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Well, as a "normal user" in Win10, you are NOT allowed to see the C:/ drive
It works fine here...
Untitled.jpg
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

YUP - - it surely is that .. but, it's getting better .. slowly ..
:roll:
should be fine, by the Time that win-11 comes out .. ..
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

I do mine on Credit Karma and then let my accountant review my work. She only charges me 10 bucks to review it when I do most of the work 8)

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:59 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
This might make you smile https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/
that was funny....

I've had a nap, feel all better now...
as for doing taxes online, I prefer to keep my data on my own HDD and only use their E-File service.

My son uses their online service only, he's good with that, but I'm not.
just a "thing" with me, I want the data on my HDD....
my ISP is not dependable, and I do NOT want to be in the middle of crunching data and suddenly the internet is gone, leaving me in a horrible mood.

with it all on my HDD, I don't need the internet.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:23 pm
my ISP is not dependable, and I do NOT want to be in the middle of crunching data and suddenly the internet is gone, leaving me in a horrible mood.
I've often said that, going forward, areas with limited or no Internet will probably be ghost towns, or will be another thing which divides the haves from the have-nots of society.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I always have at least 1 dedicated Windows PC because like it or not we Linuxers need to come crawling back to Windows to do certain things.
Things like bios/firmware updates and of course Intuit Turbotax.
Many games and other software run only on Windows.
I refuse to trust my personal tax/financial information to “the cloud” and want it done and stored on my local drive.
Less than ideal or desirable but it is what it is.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:23 pm
I've often said that, going forward, areas with limited or no Internet will probably be ghost towns, or will be another thing which divides the haves from the have-nots of society.
Don't think it will ever come to that point, us rural folk got along for decades and never knew what the internet was until recently.

I am using a 4g LTE modem accessing AT&T's Wireless wideband service. I get it with a contract through oliveIP.com

AT&T will not sell me that kind of service, but they will let retail contractors resell it for them... weird.

My cellphones are on Verizon, and their wideband is superior to AT&T, but their pricing schedule is horrible, I can't afford it... oops! VZW will not allow uploads faster than about 10% of the download speed you pay for.... AT&T doesn't regulate that, I have had speed reports that are upside down, upwards of 30Mbps up and 10Mbps down... again, weird.

.The Internet has had a huge impact though on the way us rural folk shop.
It is cheaper to order online and wait 3-10 days for things we need, than it is to drive 70 miles to town, wander all of the hills and dales, and still not find what we want....

Walmart is now selling us non-perishable groceries online. We get a big box roughly every two weeks, things that don't melt, leak, or perish in the heat..... Crackers, Cereal, Flour, OTC medications, and odds 'n ends that we all purchase when we go to a "grocery store" and 75% of the stuff in the basket is non-edible. Like a ream of printer paper, that also comes to us in a big Walmart box.

and then there is Amazon for everything else.... I don't go to Best Buy any more, costs me more gas than it does to just buy more than $25.00 and have it shipped free.

I just now, opened up a package that contains four 4gB USB thumbdrives in YELLOW color.... took six weeks from China from a link I found on eBay...... but, I now have enough to burn off a new ISO to play with :)
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Tax, what's that? Haven't file a return in over 10 years. Did I mention, that I no longer work................;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Don't think it will ever come to that point, us rural folk got along for decades and never knew what the internet was until recently.

I am using a 4g LTE modem accessing AT&T's Wireless wideband service. I get it with a contract through oliveIP.com

AT&T will not sell me that kind of service, but they will let retail contractors resell it for them... weird.

here in Australia, the Fed Gov't is building an PMG v2 aka the NBN system,
& due to their own policy makers, we will now also have a Two Tiered System, for accessing this Internet.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-eco ... 53mpw.html
maybe, even a Three Tiered system, if you also include those who have to use an satellite connection.

it's these folks that complain the most, about those Windows Upgrades .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I don't multi boot my windows 10 pcs.
I find it's like keeping budgies and the house cat in the same cage.
After the feathers settle you only have one live critter in the cage ... the cat.
Widows 10 I keep in a cage by itself as its steam roller updates do bad things to GRUB.
I will multi boot the O/Ss I control like the various Linux distros.
Windows 10 is operated & managed from Redmond. :evil:

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Minux1 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:20 pm
I find it's like keeping budgies and the house cat in the same cage.
:lol: :lol:
True enough by many accounts .. although as for your last line I'd say Windows 10 is operated and mismanaged from Redmond. :mrgreen:

The machine I'm using now came with Windows 10 which I only booted to make sure the machine worked. Spent a few minutes trying to find the settings to disable fast startup but thought "Sod it, I'll deal with that later" and promptly swapped it out for the HDD from my Acer. I'll likely clone the Win disk to an old HDD just in case it's needed (unlikely but possible I suppose) as I'd like to experiment with that SSD.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I used Minitool Partition Wizard to clone my Lenovo ThinkPad X131e incumbent 500 GB "spinner" (HDD) containing Windows 10 Pro and a rather costly Microsoft Office 2019 Pro installation to a 500 GB SSD.
I thought I was sunk when the SSD wouldn't boot from an external USB 3.0 drive enclosure but amazingly and much to my relief It booted perfectly when actually installed in the laptop.
I thought I might have Microsoft "product activation" issues after changing out the HDD for the SSD but I didn't.
Beefed up RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB.
Worked very well.
As I said before I will not multi-boot a PC with Windows 10 on it.
The Windows O/S only has one master (the one in Redmond) and needs a cage of its own as it tends to "eat" other O/Ss like goldfish in an aquarium with a piranha. :mrgreen:

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

I don't like Windows. I don't like macOS.I don't like iOS. I don't like Android. But every time any Linux has decided to run amok, I end up in the first two...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Win 10 isn't so much an abomination as Microsoft is. Win 10 can be "fixed" to make it behave better although the "fix" will have to repeated every time there is an update. The real problem is MS using you as the product more and more and heading closer to an advertising supplemented and cloud based subscription service, not surprising since Sadist Nutella (aka Satya Nadella) was head of cloud development before he replaced Steve Ballsmore (Balmer) as CEO.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 pm
... heading closer to an advertising supplemented and cloud based subscription service ...
Do you live in a cave? They've been there for several years.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 pm
Win 10 isn't so much an abomination as Microsoft is. Win 10 can be "fixed" to make it behave better although the "fix" will have to repeated every time there is an update. The real problem is MS using you as the product more and more and heading closer to an advertising supplemented and cloud based subscription service, not surprising since Sadist Nutella (aka Satya Nadella) was head of cloud development before he replaced Steve Ballsmore (Balmer) as CEO.
Nutella.
Google:
Über diese Seite

Unsere Systeme haben ungewöhnlichen Datenverkehr aus Ihrem Computernetzwerk festgestellt. Diese Seite überprüft, ob die Anfragen wirklich von Ihnen und nicht von einem Robot gesendet werden. Warum'
IP-Adresse: 77.111.246.108
Uhrzeit: 2020-01-10T00:52:01Z
URL: https://www.google.ch/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=UTF-8
DuckDuck with screenshot:
OK with Opera under Windows I safed "Nutella" under "Internet Data" - - - ? Disparu...

sorry - no picture here
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Open chat”