Level 7
Level 7

Re: Win10 is an abomination

Post by absque fenestris »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:52 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 pm
... heading closer to an advertising supplemented and cloud based subscription service ...
Do you live in a cave? They've been there for several years.
Windows 10 is also not ready to provide my answers in an adequate time. Do you come to me with caves ...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Minux1 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:20 pm
I don't multi boot my windows 10 pcs.
I find it's like keeping budgies and the house cat in the same cage.
After the feathers settle you only have one live critter in the cage ... the cat.
Widows 10 I keep in a cage by itself as its steam roller updates do bad things to GRUB.
I will multi boot the O/Ss I control like the various Linux distros.
Windows 10 is operated & managed from Redmond. :evil:
With my newish ASUS TUF Gaming laptop, that is not a problem.
the BIOS does not let one OS see the other OS, they are on two separate SSDs.
windows SSD is setup as RAID, so Linux can't see it anyway.

and of course, Windows will never recognize a Linux formatted SSD.

the laptop continues to boot which ever OS was selected in BIOS, and just ignores the other one.
it is like having two PCs in one box.... which it is...

therein lies a problem, I can't copy data/info from one OS to the other OS,
so, I use an ExtUSB HDD to perform that task.

were it not for TurboTax, Windows would not even exist on this laptop.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

These guys are laughing their heads off right now. Linux? Windows? Mac? Android? iOS?
Please! We argue about details - others see it a bit further...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:35 pm
... ASUS TUF Gaming laptop...
I just bought a shiny new Asus Zephyrus S with 240Hz screen refresh. Even before turning it on, I had my linux flash at the ready, but I did run win10 up for a look-see. Good grief, it was an awful experience... agree to this, agree to that, sign in to this, sign in to that, reboot and sign in again to this and that, an awful American accent labelled Cortana blaring out of the speakers; it was enough to give anyone nightmares. Surprisingly, the machine runs much cooler under linux than it did for the short time I was peeking at win10. The Prime display works beautifully when switching from the internal RTX video to the Intel video, no kernel spam, just smooth computing and a peaceful operating system that isn't out to jar the living daylights out of you.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Some of the hardware discussed here is first or high end second generation stuff.
I'm cheap and the machines I generally use for Linux (Linux Mint XFCE & Peppermint) are those I've acquired cheaply from eBay < $50 or have been given and am flogging the last couple or so years of life out of before the 1-way trip to the curb.
That's the beauty about lighter Linux distros ... they'll run on some pretty tired (cheap) old iron.
SSDs and RAM can be moved from one machine to another very easily. :mrgreen:

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom »

Minux1 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:46 am
I'm cheap and the machines I generally use for Linux (Linux Mint XFCE & Peppermint) are those I've acquired cheaply
Me to. :lol:

My Linux computers are discarded computers from Windows users or curb finds.

I upgrade them to the maximum possible using free parts from my spare parts box.

Old computers are built better and made to last longer than the new garbage can computers of today.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:52 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 pm
... heading closer to an advertising supplemented and cloud based subscription service ...
Do you live in a cave? They've been there for several years.
No, I live in a dump. All kidding aside, you "ain't seen nothing yet". MS has been gradually sneaking it into Win 10 since the "get go" but, so far, it's nothing compared to what is coming. Look at Adobe; unlike MS, they just jumped in with both feet.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 3
Level 3

AZgl1500 wrote:
...and of course, Windows will never recognize a Linux formatted SSD...
It depends on what you format the SSD, etc. to and how you do it.
AZgl1500 wrote:
...were it not for TurboTax, Windows would not even exist on this laptop.
Use their online version.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
windows SSD is setup as RAID
Makes me wonder why they do this. Seriously, what is the point of setting up a RAID-based system with only one storage unit .. and often, the machines can only accommodate one disk ..? If it isn't a multi-disk system it is not true RAID, same as a single cell isn't a battery. :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

With the subscription/cloud model the cash flow into Redmond’s coffers never stops.
I think Gates must be desperately trying to pass Bezos as the worlds richest man.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:59 am

Use their online version.
that will never, ever, happen.

I insist on having the EXE program on my HDD and the DATA files all stored on my HDD.

I explained this further up the thread.
2 reasons, my version of security of the DATA, and a very rural ISP connection that sometimes just drops out of sight, not to be seen for an hour or more....
we have had outages of two and three days.....
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:32 am
I just filed mine using TurboTax Online, and have done for the past eight or nine years. Can't imagine doing it any other way.
My personal and financial info entrusted to the vagaries of “cloud 9”? ... nah I don’t think so.
Just downloaded & installed TurboTax on my main Windows 10 PC this PM as a matter of fact.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BG405 »

On the other hand, I wouldn't trust M$ Windows 10 wirh my personal and financial data either. They "own" the rights to everything on their systems. Less "exposed" maybe with regards to the Internet but still not private IMHO.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

All windope versiond are a abomination.
I haven't used windope since ME. Only bought one disc, XP pro, and sold it after not ever getting it to work on my self built desktop that worked perfect for over 10 yrs running Ubuntu and its variants. Actually would still be using but the FSB speed is too slow for HD video. I have worked on various windopes and fixed them for others, but I TOTALLY HATE DEALING WITH WINDOWS SOOOO MUCH IT HURTS MY BRAIN.
I think about keeping windope on a new computer for about 30 sec, then wipe it off and re format and install the near latest Mint Mate version and go on with my life. I never need widope cause I'm not a windope user.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 3
Level 3

I disagree that all Windope...Windoze...whatever...versions are bad. XP was pretty good. Vista was also good but MS screwed up and understated the system requirements to manufacturers who proceeded to install it on underpowered computers. Win 7 fixed that problem (I went from XP directly to Win 7). Win 7, to date, is MS' best OS but they started messing around with it around four years or so ago with "updates" that introduced spying, Win 10 nags, etc. The final straw was when MS started using users as their beta testers, resulting in numerous broken updates that often bricked computers.

The real enemy here isn't Win 10 (although I agree it's an abomination); it's MS itself. MS quickly declined under the maniac Ballsmore (Balmer), then plummeted when Sadist Nutella (Satya Nadella) replaced Ballsmore.

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

As a person with low finances, I own a PC with Windows 7 and Mint 18.1, dual boot. I fully support separating Windows from Linux, because I have had troubles setting them up together - after some effort I managed to make them co-exist. I'm not planning to upgrade Mint because I'm afraid to screw up the boot loading again. If I ever have spare money, I for sure will assemble separate PCs for Windows and Linux distros, or just install them on separate hard drives if my budget is tight.

RollyShed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RollyShed »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm
The final straw was when MS started using users as their beta testers, resulting in numerous broken updates that often bricked computers.
Not just bricked, totally destroyed all the data and reverted from Win10 to Win7. That was my partner's computer which fortunately I got all the data off before it was destroyed.

She was running Windows 10 one day and Linux Mint the next, running it as if she always had - that easy.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

I am and have always been a technology enthusiast. That said, the operating systems Microsoft has produced have always felt barbaric and primitive to me. They've always had to dumb down the interface to make it non-tech-geek friendly. Elements of Windows and software written for Windows has a history of big, shiny buttons so the users can feel insulated or protected from how complicated computers are.

What good Apple has contributed to the world I feel Linux Mint and other distros as well have managed to incorporate, producing a much better overall OS and design ethic.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

Mcbeeff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mcbeeff »

That said, the operating systems Microsoft has produced have always felt barbaric and primitive to me. They've always had to dumb down the interface to make it non-tech-geek friendly.
Really? I mean, yes it is true they have dumbed down windows. I work at a company called Onshore Tech and we use to primarily deal with troubleshooting windows issues....that is until windows 10 came out. That OS practically fixes itself and ran Onshore tech down to just about 7 employees. We pivoted to working as a tier 1 outsourced tech support for other companies. Primarily Unified office. But Windows 10 really is good OS. Granted these days a lot of solutions can be found online and even I find myself guiding fellows on Reddit through their windows 10 issues. Anyway, I don't have the same hate for windows 10. I love it. Not as much as mint tho 8)

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens »

I was relatively impressed with my last install of Windwoes 10. That was on my Grandson's computer. He's addicted to a particular game so W10 it has to be. We built the box, a Ryzen 3000 box (16Gb RAM) with an M2. drive. It took as long to install and update as it did to build the box. However, once installed, Boot times are almost as quick as Cinnamon on my I5 Laptop (8Gb RAM) with a SSD. No, I am not thinking about a return to the Dark side (Broken windows). :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open chat”