Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Post by Portreve »

This Thursday, January 23rd, the newest Star Trek series, Picard, is going to premier. At least here in the U.S., it's going to be on CBS All Access. It's also going to be on Amazon, as I understand.

If it were going to be on regular network TV, there's no question I'd at least give it a shot. However, it's only going to be available through a streaming service, so I've been dithering back and forth between whether or not to sign up for one of them.

Is anyone else here planning on watching it?
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Post by lsemmens »

I'll not sign up for a new service just for one show, but I will find it on Usenet. I've been a fan of the Star Trek Franchise since Christopher Pike First took the reigns. Picard, to me, was the best Captain of them all, but each, has brought something different to the role. It's much easier being a Starship Captain where you do not have to worry about departing from personality and traits of the fore runners as in Dr Who, of which I have seen all of those episodes, too. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

i'm there but it's a different timeline so after suffering through all the politically correct renovations i hope it to be a decent Star Trek. but as we see with Discovery, that may not be. die hard trekker here, but i'm not biting my fingernails i'm sure i'll get a same shock i did when i seen the Klingons in the Discovery pilot.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I have Amazon Prime Video so if it's there, I'll watch it. I'm willing to give the show a chance and if I like it, I'll stay with it. If not, the off switch is just a reverse of the on switch.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:04 pm
I'll not sign up for a new service just for one show, but I will find it on Usenet. I've been a fan of the Star Trek Franchise since Christopher Pike First took the reigns. Picard, to me, was the best Captain of them all, but each, has brought something different to the role. It's much easier being a Starship Captain where you do not have to worry about departing from personality and traits of the fore runners as in Dr Who, of which I have seen all of those episodes, too. :D
As you happened to bring up Doctor Who — and may it not come as a complete shock given my username and avatar that I'm a fan as well — have a look at my latest creation and see what you think.

trytip wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 pm
i'm there but it's a different timeline so after suffering through all the politically correct renovations i hope it to be a decent Star Trek. but as we see with Discovery, that may not be. die hard trekker here, but i'm not biting my fingernails i'm sure i'll get a same shock i did when i seen the Klingons in the Discovery pilot.
I have never been able to abide the "JJverse" and I have never seen Discovery apart from the odd short clip on YouTube, or various still images here and there, so I can't really comment myself.

I won't directly repeat the comments Patrick Stewart has made in recent interviews vis a vis bringing back Picard as they would violate the no political discussion rules of LMF, but I will say I happen to completely agree with him. I really hope Picard is worthy of the effort.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 pm
I have Amazon Prime Video so if it's there, I'll watch it. I'm willing to give the show a chance and if I like it, I'll stay with it. If not, the off switch is just a reverse of the on switch.
I don't know if you watch Adam Savage's Tested and One Day Builds channel on YouTube, but I think you may find this particular video quite interesting.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

If something isn't OTA TV (Over the Air TV), I don't watch it. I'm still fuming over The Orville being moved from Fox OTA to Hulu.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I would love for Adam Savage to do a build of one of the classic TARDIS consoles. I honestly don't care which one, but that would be so incredibly bad-ass.

bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

I was going to sign up for CBS All access last night and use the free 7 day trial to watch it BUT, the morons don't support linux browsers. You must have a windope or rotten apple computer to sign up. Got all the way through the sign-up process till it would not let me enter the credit card number. Had to look through system requirements to find out. Damn OS bigots. Guess I'll have to find it for free somewhere else ... I'm not playing their game, I'm playing mine.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Portreve wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:54 pm
CaptainKirksChair wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:32 pm
I don't know if you watch Adam Savage's Tested and One Day Builds channel on YouTube, but I think you may find this particular video quite interesting.
The best part of that chair? The Tribbles.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks Portreve I've just wasted a half hour watching that. You should be ashamed of yourself! :D

I agree a Tardis console would be interesting. Seriously, it would be fascinating to spend a lot of time seeing how the Tardis has evolved over the years. Time was when the Doctor could not quite control it.
Fully mint Household

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

If I had the money and the right house for it, I would see if I could get Adam and crew to build me one.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I won't be avoiding it but not that eager either. I remember for years I felt there wasn't enough Star Trek. But at some point (long before Discovery) there seemed to be plenty. More than enough.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:29 pm
Seriously, it would be fascinating to spend a lot of time seeing how the Tardis has evolved over the years. Time was when the Doctor could not quite control it.
Not counting the two Peter Cushing movies — which many, including myself, consider to be very much non-cannon — there was quite the period where the Doctor (specifically the First Doctor, or "BillDoc" as we called him on the FidoNet Dr. Who message forums) was trying to figure out how to fly the TARDIS. Of course, the first few years in particular of the show, the writers and producers were trying to figure out what they were doing.

If I could have my way, I would how a team to take the essential story ideas of the whole if the First Doctor's time and redo them from scratch. David Bradley was wonderful as the First Doctor, and they could really do so much with that "era" of the show. Just don't let Chris Chibnal anywhere near it.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I agree, David Bradley did a very good job of playing the first Doctor. I wonder if, somehow, we could end up with a circular plot line where a future doctor becomes the first doctor. Given that many of the original episodes were lost, it might be a good opportunity to recreate them using as much of the original plot lines as possible.
Fully mint Household

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I've some things which bug me about Doctor Who, particularly the 2004-present series. The first thing which bothers me is the insistence on using fantasy in it. I'm not sure why they have thought it is a good idea to let anything be the case in storylines no matter how ridiculous it is in an era where it's pretty much universally the case that shows are written in a very sophisticated and often highly researched manner.

The best way, I feel, to handle "things Gallifreyan technology can do that we can't" is to abide by Arthur C. Clarke's maxim that "Any science, sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic." Looking at ST:TNG as a source of inspiration (but not a straightjacket template) would be beneficial. The episode Who Watches The Watchers? comes to mind, and especially the sequence where Picard takes the young proto-Vulcan girl aboard to show her and help her to understand that yes, while he and his people are more advanced than hers, they are hardly magical. (Incidentally, I think Patrick Stewart knocks it out of the park at the end in the conference room when he's explaining, in essence, the nature of technological development.)

Another issue I have with Dr. Who, and in particular the current series, is this mandatory story arc thing they do. It seems to me like they don't really value their audience, or their audience's intelligence, by basically bribing them into watching because "big exciting payoffs are coming". I get that Babylon 5 has been a tremendous influence on TV storytelling in general and science fiction storytelling in particular, but what JMS did was organic and natural, and what Dr. Who and many other shows do is contrived and artificial.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

^ Regarding Arthur Clarke's maxim and since it appears you didn't follow ST: Discovery, I assure you, there was nothing magical regarding first half of the season. I couldn't force myself to continue following any further... All series magic summed in the "where no man has gone before" they evaporated to accommodate military bashing and gey scenes.

Hopefully, ST: Picard will be above those "magic heights and sophistication".

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Ok, so I have now watched the first episode, "Remembrance".

I liked it a lot. It's layered and probably complex, and has the feel of something written by people who actually know the source material.

However, I feel this is a series for existing Star Trek fans because there's no exposition to flesh out backstories. There's some degree of getting into what's happened in the interim, but that's about it. Actually, I'm cool with that because it avoids a lot of baggage. In short, it is probably not going to be the most accessible story for non-Trek fans.

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Portreve wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 pm
Ok, so I have now watched the first episode, "Remembrance".
Thanks for your thoughts, I'll probably get to watch it sometime this weekend. Looking forward to it but like most ST series I expect it to take a few episodes to find its footing and for the actors to get comfortable with their characters.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

:lol: it's funny that the Android Data is showing signs of aging, i wonder why they did not introduce something that he installed to make himself be more humanlike. or maybe they did but i fell asleep watching it, to me it's the same Politically correct bullshit i see in recent TV shows. they demonize a race or species to relate to real world problems. now they go after "synthetics" just to say there is an enemy the need to fight. and OMG the beginning credits look like they were made with a template from Adobe video maker.
i feel sad for the human race if this is our new star trek. i'm sure it will pick up, but enough with real life shit in a science fiction tv show. maybe i'll change my view on it with episodes to come, but these days a 10 episode show at 40 minutes is nothing but a slap in the face and not worth investing in
>>> delete me if this is not allowed watch the episode complete now https://flixtor.to/watch/tv/4814218/star-trek-picard

i thought in the world of star trek there is no money and everything humans do is to better themselves not be more like idiots from 2020, has the timeline changed? here is the real star trek clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rh3xPatEto

Return to “Open chat”