Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Chat about just about anything else
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Post by lsemmens »

Your ideas have merit, Portreve. I must admit that I have not analysed it as closely as that. What I did find quite anachronistic that, although, JL resigned from StarFleet over their differences, he still seems to be able to work his way through the system without any real opposition. Could you imagine a past president or PM trying to issue orders and use the system for his purposes (albeit moral and good)? I think they could have developed the animosity between StarFleet and Pickard and shown how he had barriers to overcome just to achieve his goal.

Seven of Nine does not come across as the recovered Borg Drone of Voyager. She seems more like a recovering alcoholic working on that Borg Cube.

The reboot has many flaws, but I will continue to watch it just to see where it goes.

I am currently trying to work my way through "The Big Bang Theory" which I am finding somewhat predictable and tedious. Is this what passes for American Comedy?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I remember when Big Bang Theory first came out. I tried to watch an episode but was turned off pretty much immediately. My general impression of modern sitcoms is they all felt like an insult to my intelligence (Mad About You is the last one I liked) and BBT was no exception. Also, I have no desire to watch a show about dysfunctional people. In 2010, my then-girlfriend was really into the show, and she used to like watching it before going to sleep. Ugh. No relationship is worth that.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

It wasn't a documentary ... the point was to be entertained.
If you thought it was a complete waste of time then that's what CHANNEL CHANGER & ON/OFF switches were put on TVs for.
I gave it a 6.5 on a 0-10 scale.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

— Voltaire

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

One quick follow-up thought on my part: this whole enforced down-time because of COVID-19 makes me wonder if we might not see studios go the way of more CGI movies, where the whole of the production effort can literally be done out of peoples' homes instead of bringing them into a central production studio.

All a studio needs to do is make sure their CGI pros and others related to the overall effort have sufficiently powerful computers sitting in their homes, and fairly fat pipe between their homes and the studio's offices. Then, set up audio booths at the voice artists' homes and, basically, it would work.

— Voltaire

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

It's a little OT but I wonder if any of you know about Star Trek Continues :?:

It's actually a fan production by Farragut Films and follows on from the original series. It features several of Star Trek's original actors but only one, Michael Forest (Apollo), reprises his original rôle as the others are mostly from TNG. Marina Sirtis plays the computer voice though Michael Dorn did it once. :)

All eleven episodes (they're each about 45 minutes long) are freely available on YouTube (link below) and I think it's quite good. If you enjoyed the original three series you might like this. One interesting thing is that Scotty is played by Christopher Doohan, the son of James Doohan who played him originally. :roll:

Star Trek Continues

I don't think that many of the fan films and such are very good but this is one of the very few exceptions. Characters in it are Uhura, Kirk, Spock, Scotty, McCoy, Sulu and Chekov.
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I don't remember but I may have discussed both Star Trek Continues and Star Trek: Phase II further up in this thread. Nevertheless, there's been some really first-rate fan productions out there which, even if the acting itself isn't always fully professional, really run circles around any of the new movies and, to be fair, a lot of the other stuff on TV.

IMNSHO:

I think the "classic" Star Trek series — TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager — plus the "classic Trek" movies (I - IV — and no, V does not count) were pretty much it for quality Star Trek material from an "official" source. Some of the TNG films were ok, but none of them were really as good as any of the foregoing. But basically Star Trek and Star Wars have paralleled each other, both from the standpoint of the vision behind the camera and (if not the acting itself per se) what was shot in front of the camera in the "new era" of these franchises' respective existences. Even the vision behind Ron Moore's and David Eick's NuBSG, as much as I absolutely hated it, wasn't as bad. At least the story line was consistent, was logical, and made sense. And for me to say that Ron and Dave's BSG vision was actually better than something else is saying a heck of a lot.

I watched Picard and, while I found parts of it interesting, most of it I would like to throw out of a window (as I explained in painstaking detail up-thread), and as for Discovery, well... it's head-and-shoulders better than Picard, but that said, I would far prefer someone like JMS of Babylon 5 be given the franchise, with certain specific minimum basic "universe guidance" and told, in essence, “Go reboot this franchise and make it the way it should have been given everything we now know about the science, physics, etc, in our universe.”

However, I'm continuing to watch Discovery because it's at least got some degree of merit. However, I seriously question if we'll get much more out of it given the present financial reality.

— Voltaire

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

I'm very fond of Babylon 5 and most of the rest of your post I agree with too. Being British and knocking on a bit I actually remember the beginning of good old Doctor Who. I even remember Doomwatch which few do. :)

I didn't know that you'd posted about Star Trek Continues but mentioning it again can't hurt. I've got a few other fan productions and I heartily support all of them. However I'm afraid that the usual amateurish production does put me off as my father was a producer for what most people who knew them considered the best corporate documentary film unit in the world. They actually let John Schlesinger make his first film - Oscar material, no less.
Take care,
Phil.

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

PhilAypee wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:31 pm
I'm very fond of Babylon 5 and most of the rest of your post I agree with too. Being British and knocking on a bit I actually remember the beginning of good old Doctor Who. I even remember Doomwatch which few do. :)
I'm not in any way keen on the new (2004 -) Dr. Who series. I admit it's actually got a decent production budget; it's using up-to-date technology; the cinematography and the acting are fine. That is to say, it passes on the technicals. However, I wouldn't give you tuppence for the stories and general vision and arc. For all its frequent shortcomings, Classic Dr. Who runs circles around the new series where story telling is concerned.

I've no idea if anyone here (you included) really wants me to give a run-down on NuWho and its problems. For that matter, I would have to re-watch a bunch of it and refresh my memory, so I doubt I'll actually do this, but the single biggest failing is the show runners' / writers' total absence of treating this show as science fiction, instead making it into some kind of over the top fantasy/crap pseudo-science fantasy. They're really not doing anything to make me think Brits are capable of writing or even telling science fiction stories. :shock: :lol:

— Voltaire

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Agree with you there Protreve. Bring back the "old" Doctor anyday. "Old" being anything Tom Baker and before. It started to go downhill after that.
Fully mint Household

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

lsemmens wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:56 pm
Agree with you there Protreve. Bring back the "old" Doctor anyday. "Old" being anything Tom Baker and before. It started to go downhill after that.
I'd add Peter Davison, though only just. After that the humour of the character, the eccentricity too, didn't really reappear until David Tennant took on the rôle. I had hopes for Peter Capaldi but I was disappointed there.

Portreve, I'd be delighted to give you a rundown on NuWho but I can't. I only watched enough of the Capaldi version (and those before it) to assess it and I have watched none since. The spirit of it seems to have vanished. :(

I mentioned Doomwatch which was rather bleak and only about 2/3 of the episodes survive. Blakes 7 (no apostrophe) wasn't so bleak and it's all on YT. I rather like it and, depending on you sexuality, you might find either Servalan or Avon rather attractive! :roll:
Take care,
Phil.

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I don't believe the Time War between the Time Lords and the Daleks should have been portrayed as it was. The seeds for it were planted way back with TomDoc's Genesis of the Daleks story (12x04, March-April 1975) and I suppose it's kind of inevitable the two civilizations would eventually come to blows. However, there's no way the Time Lords wouldn't have seen this coming, so...

Within the in-universe perspective, Gallifrey sits basically at the top¹ of the hierarchy of advancement of all species in this galaxy, and quite possibly beyond. Therefore, just as the Internet and smartphones and airplanes would have seemed fantastical (and maybe even magical) to people of the 1700s (just to pick one potential example), it's logical that Gallifrey's technology might appear that way to us in now the 21st century. However, as all advancements are mechanistic in nature, it should be perfectly possible to have that as a manifest part of anything exposed to us, the viewing audience.

“Any science sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.”
— Sir Arthur C. Clarke

¹ The Guardians and other immortals might be more advanced than the Time Lords; however, for the most part they keep strictly to themselves.

— Voltaire

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I think that Capaldi had the potential to be another Tom Baker bat was strangled by the crap scripts he had to work with.
Fully mint Household

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I'm going to respond to this in a different way.

Matt Smith's regeneration had an interesting concept: be perfectly knowledgeable about history and people and places, etc., but always fit a bit like a square peg in a round hole, demonstrating that he was not — appearances aside — a human being. I think the last time the show really tried that was with Susan.

I love the idea and the fundamental concept, but I think the execution sucked.

One could potentially make the argument that the show also tried it with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, but (at least in my mind's eye) it kind of faded after a bit.

— Voltaire

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Portreve wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:01 pm
I'm going to respond to this in a different way.

Matt Smith's regeneration had an interesting concept: be perfectly knowledgeable about history and people and places, etc., but always fit a bit like a square peg in a round hole, demonstrating that he was not — appearances aside — a human being. I think the last time the show really tried that was with Susan.

I love the idea and the fundamental concept, but I think the execution sucked.

One could potentially make the argument that the show also tried it with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, but (at least in my mind's eye) it kind of faded after a bit.
Sadly, mate, you've lost me a little bit on this. I think I know from whence you are coming, but am not certain. Susan, I do not recall, where did she fit into the picture?
Fully mint Household

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:01 am
Sadly, mate, you've lost me a little bit on this. I think I know from whence you are coming, but am not certain. Susan, I do not recall, where did she fit into the picture?
Ok, so...

If you look at the Doctors of the Classic Series, on the whole I think they were basically being portrayed pretty much as any actor would portray any character: as an individual within a certain set of circumstances, with whatever life experiences they might have had. Generally, they would all pass for being humans if you simply exclude their education and general knowledge. Meaning, if you stopped any of them on the street, as long as you didn't ask them the sort of questions only an "alien" would know, they'd probably all pass for human.

Matt Smith's Doctor, however, was noticeably different. If you were to ask him just about any question, there's no telling what sort of answer you'd get, or if he'd even know what you were talking about. Matt, it would appear, did his level best, along with the writers, to give him a decidedly alien, extra-terrestrial vibe over and above what we have seen across any of the rest of them.

My comment about Jon's and Tom's respective Doctors is that it seems like maybe they kind of started out being a bit "odd" and "not quite human" but very quickly they just became pretty much standard humans but with extensive knowledge.

Susan is the Doctor's granddaughter (or possibly she isn't, depending on which accounts one believes throughout the Extended Universe), and when I said there was sort of an attempt made with her, it wasn't through her being portrayed deliberately as "odd", but more through her knowledge (and gaps therein). Like, for instance, being able to do insanely complicated mathematical or scientific problems with total ease, but having no clue England hadn't (yet) decimalized its currency.

I'm willing to give Carole Ann Ford a pass on the depiction because, let's face it, there isn't a show from the early-mid 1960s which holds a candle to today's standards of sophistication. She did the best she could absent there being a much deeper, involved, complex, and sophisticated vision from the creators and writers, and appropriate direction for her along those same lines.

— Voltaire

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks, I'm now on your page. I'd forgotten Susan, but you have reminded me. Matt Smith may well have been playing out of Susan's book, which would have then tied into the continuity from the old to the new series. I think that the new series is relying on technology (special effects etc) too much. Storylines have suffered as a result.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Open chat”