Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Post by Portreve »

The producers' vision was to create a story which can serve to offer commentary on current events. This was the case in the Original Series, though on a strictly episodic basis. Patrick Stewart's comments in interviews on the present (political) situations in the world, and in particular the U.S. and the UK, greatly inform the dynamic of this story, as well as the motivations of his character at present.

I gather Picard will probably strike a chord with some and a nerve with others in much the same way that The Newsroom did in its three seasons. That alone I think shows how polarized as well as tribal we've become. I think it also demonstrates how overly-serious we take ourselves and unwilling we are to laugh at ourselves in any manner or tone other than a derisive one.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I've now watched the first episode of Picard. I liked the story and characters, pretty much standard Star Trek there. I wasn't too impressed with the opening sequence or theme music. I'll carry on watching like I have with every other Star Trek franchise (except Star Trek: Enterprise, I only saw the first season as I'm not a big Scott Bakula fan).
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Thank you!!!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

murray wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:39 pm
I'll carry on watching like I have with every other Star Trek franchise (except Star Trek: Enterprise, I only saw the first season as I'm not a big Scott Bakula fan).
if you get the chance to finish all four seasons i believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. i know how it is when you dislike an actor, but the story get's even more intricate as you go further. they do some time traveling and some alternate reality episodes that does stay true to the old star trek series. i was hoping picard would explore this, but it seems they went with Datas daughter Lal episode instead.

i'm not impressed with cookie cutter insert actor here and end credits tv shows anymore. these new shows are made for the new generation which are pleasing to the eye but doesn't much leave the brain wanting more.
on the other hand am i to believe that the captain will always be alone with no wife or kids? sure the captain has had affairs but looks like his dna line has stopped this far, no further.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

trytip wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:43 am
i was hoping picard would explore this, but it seems they went with Datas daughter Lal episode instead.
Eh, yes, this feels almost like watching Threadstone, only more ridiculous. :mrgreen: But let's give it a few more episodes a chance to develop and see where it will go...

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

trytip wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:43 am
if you get the chance to finish all four seasons i believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I do actually have all the seasons of Enterprise on DVD but I've never watched them. Maybe it's time I did, starting from the beginning. Thanks!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

There were some interesting episodes of Enterprise, but there's two issues:

1. Scott Bakula greatly overestimates his acting chops; and far more importantly

2. Enterprise's show runners are actually in record as saying they don't "get" Star Trek or science fiction.

SB notwithstanding, Enterprise was ok up until the whole war thing. I pretty much tuned out at that point. Season 4 is a total write-off. Through A Mirror Darkly was interesting in concept, but I don't really care for what they did with it.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Finally got time to sit and watch Picard. Can't wait for episode 7. https://i.imgur.com/I4GKnVw.jpg :D
Fully mint Household

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I hope there's something worthwhile behind what we're hearing about the Romulans.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

It's amazing to see the difference in sophistication in storytelling between The Next Generation and Picard. In the second episode, the way they intercut the chateau and apartment scenes isn't something I've personally ever seen before. I've seen intercut stuff before, but the way they handled that was pretty cool.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I'm a 'good' sci-fi fan (in that i like good sci-fi in my metric of judging that!). I was an original series Trek kid before i was Star Wars (originals) on TV and never had a problem loving both. Add Space 1999 and Blake Seven (i am from the UK!) to the mix with a little bit of Buck Rogers and general love of sci-fi in books (from Asimov to Greg Bear) and that was my formation in sci-fi.

However i had to stop loving Trek and Star Wars around the same time (roughly). Both 'New' Star Trek (Abbrams) and 'New' Star Wars (episode I onwards) completely bounced of the standards i expect from 'good' sci-fi.

It seems in general 'modern' tv/film making has lost something that i found important (like coherent scripts that develop characters and pace things 'fully' in particular)? So i'm not holding out much hope for Picard.

However Patrick Stewart may save the series as i think he liked what TNG was about. Also The Mandalorian has shown glimpses that maybe Star Wars is not completely dead? And The Expanse was pretty damn good. So i got my fingers crossed for Picard and will wait for the box-set to come out just to be sure to avoid more sci-fi disappointment (which has been a hallmark of this last decade or two). I'm a tough crowd in terms of sci-fi, in that it is not all about EXPLOSIONS/HIGH OCTANE ACTION for me, and never was.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

ZakGordon wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:00 am
I'm a 'good' sci-fi fan (in that i like good sci-fi in my metric of judging that!). I was an original series Trek kid before i was Star Wars (originals) on TV and never had a problem loving both. Add Space 1999 and Blake Seven (i am from the UK!) to the mix with a little bit of Buck Rogers and general love of sci-fi in books (from Asimov to Greg Bear) and that was my formation in sci-fi.

However i had to stop loving Trek and Star Wars around the same time (roughly). Both 'New' Star Trek (Abbrams) and 'New' Star Wars (episode I onwards) completely bounced of the standards i expect from 'good' sci-fi.

It seems in general 'modern' tv/film making has lost something that i found important (like coherent scripts that develop characters and pace things 'fully' in particular)? So i'm not holding out much hope for Picard.

However Patrick Stewart may save the series as i think he liked what TNG was about. Also The Mandalorian has shown glimpses that maybe Star Wars is not completely dead? And The Expanse was pretty damn good. So i got my fingers crossed for Picard and will wait for the box-set to come out just to be sure to avoid more sci-fi disappointment (which has been a hallmark of this last decade or two). I'm a tough crowd in terms of sci-fi, in that it is not all about EXPLOSIONS/HIGH OCTANE ACTION for me, and never was.
I was born in 1972, so I missed Star Trek: The Original Series in its initial run. However, I watched the heck out of it in re-runs, along with Lost In Space. I also grew up on Buck Rogers In The 25th Century as well as Battlestar Galactica. However, while I used to love to read, I never read any of the classics of science fiction, nor non-Star Trek / Star Wars / etc. novels. It's one of those things which needs to be corrected.

In the latter half of the 1980s I somehow ran across Doctor Who on the local PBS station, and I've watched a lot, but certainly not most, of the Classic Dr. Who episodes.

Like you, I'm kind of turned off of the modern-era reboots and reimaginings of these shows simply because they don't have the same spirit as the originals. I'm not trying to defend the originals and, as is obvious now as an adult, their often cheesy-as-hell production values or plot points, but there was just a certain something about the originals that the new ones generally don't have.

BTW, another love of mine is Babylon 5.

Patrick Stewart has very publicly stated he didn't want to do this show. He wasn't interested in reprising the role, and various things he's seen over the years has only reinforced his decision not to go back. However, once they laid out what they wanted to do, and he could see it was something geniunely relevant to the character and interesting to him, he first insisted they would put it in writing so he knew they were absolutely serious, and then they started hashing out details of what he felt would interest him. What I can say without getting into spoiler territory is that, from what I've seen, they've finally produced the beginnings of a serious and pretty full-on adventure, with some very mature production values.

On another note, in 2000 a British gentleman named Neil Adams wrote a Buck Rogers / Battlestar Galactica crossover. I saw it about a year later, got totally hooked, and when it became aparent he wasn't going to write a follow-up to it, I started playing around with some ideas, and eventually showed that to a long time friend of mine who is a very hard-core sci-fi fan. I posted a chapter sketch on FanFiction.net. I have some other materials I'd like to also put up there, and I'm trying to focus on doing that instead of the constant distraction that's my work life and private life.

Here's some links for those who might be interested.

GalacticaFanFic.com: Armageddon 2493 by Neil Adams

FanFiction.net: My own stuff (work in progress!)

I'm going to make a legitimate effort to get back into posting there because I have in mind ultimately a 5 full length novel series for the follow-up I'm working on.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I'm sure the torrents sites will be busy when it debuts on TV. :wink:

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

if you go with story, then i would like to see these Picard episodes bring more one note "memes" from STTNG or "any star trek tv series" but since this is only 10 episode season it's all punch and no savor. even if i like certain episodes it will never compete with a serious season of Star Trek 26 episodes in one season.
so i'm not invested and i will not settle.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

trytip wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:59 pm
if you go with story, then i would like to see these Picard episodes bring more one note "memes" from STTNG or "any star trek tv series" but since this is only 10 episode season it's all punch and no savor. even if i like certain episodes it will never compete with a serious season of Star Trek 26 episodes in one season.
Of course this could be to test the waters to see how well received it is given the last two attempts which,were only OK at best.
Fully mint Household

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:41 am
trytip wrote:
Of course this could be to test the waters to see how well received it is given the last two attempts which,were only OK at best.
These issues are likely at the core of why we don't/can't (or very,very rarely) get good sci-fi shows these days. There is the older demographic that has had the advantage of seeing some of the best sci-fi has to offer (in tv/films/books) and our standards are high. Obviously not everything pre-2000's was great, but proportionally there were more 'great/good' sci-fi works.

These days the market seems to be aimed at much younger people, people that may/seem to have attention deficit disorder (or just a lack of patience to follow slowly built story arcs?) or some other inability to sit still and focus for longer than 20 minutes. This might be a cultural change thing even, rather than a personal thing? who knows?

What i do know is 9 out 10 new sci-fi will leave me disappointed and not willing to invest much time in it. The two biggest pillars of TV/Film sci-fi i had the luck to experience, Star Trek and Star Wars in particular have spectacularly imploded under modern era problems/concerns/development issues etc.

The Expanse which is honestly the best new sci-fi show i had seen was dropped by the original channel! lack of interest and viewing figures the reason (i'm very glad someone picked it up to carry on).

Then again the totally 'schizoid' New Star Wars stuff has been the most financially successful of the franchise (well until the latest ones with all the fallout around the ups and downs of the new films and spin-offs etc). So maybe it IS just a sign of the times and society as a whole? Maybe we just live in a more 'schizoid' world and that informs our art?

Also we need to take into account the 'maturity' of the development process. It's a 'professional' field these days, producing TV and Film, with vast financial input and vested interests focused on just one thing, profitability. When that does not happen, or even finer, when the pilots fail to hit with a test audience of say 100 people (and who are these people? what age? Are they able to put down their smart phones for the time a film/tv show is on air?) then that is the end of that show. It's a total business now, rather than an 'experiment' that we used to see back in the day (and gave rise to many of those 'best' classics in the genre btw).

So it could be a combination of both culture change and the development process? Whatever it is i do know i have stopped investing time and money in the vast majority of new sci-fi because i can guarantee nearly all of it will pale in comparison to the older greats. So i wait and see.

Fingers crossed The Expanse, The Mandalorian, and Picard can manage to carry on through the modern day minefield and end up with atleast 5 seasons of quality. I won't hold my breath, but it could happen? Couldn't it?
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

How many people these days would invest the time in watching one movie and understand it? I'm talking 2001, a Space Odyssey here. It would be lost on 99% of the population. I read the book several times, and went and saw the movie when it was first released. For that fact, early Doctor Who would be lost on today's audiences, too.
Fully mint Household

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Hard to forecast sight unseen.
After episode #1 I'll know to within a 99.9% probability whether I'll be waiting for episode #2.
The original series was in a class of its own ... I absolutely loved it corny uniforms, amateurish special effects, juvenile plots and all. :mrgreen:
The 2nd generation, DS9, Voyageur were good.
The later series with all the "inclusive" virtue signalling did not hold my interest ... never got past the 3rd episode in any of them.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I’d like to see the return of Locutus of Borg in at least 1 episode.
That guy was COOL. :mrgreen:

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

trytip wrote:
I'm not sure exactly why we need a rehash of things from previous stories. I mean, if the Borg and Romulans aren't "enough" then I think there's likely little that would satisfy you.

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:41 am

I doubt it. The trend we've been seeing in recent years is to produce what I guess could be called "boutique" TV shows which scale back the number of episodes so they can focus more time, attention, and budget on each. NuBSG was exactly like this.

ZakGordon wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:43 am
These issues are likely at the core of why we don't/can't (or very,very rarely) get good sci-fi shows these days. There is the older demographic that has had the advantage of seeing some of the best sci-fi has to offer (in tv/films/books) and our standards are high. Obviously not everything pre-2000's was great, but proportionally there were more 'great/good' sci-fi works.
If you look at Classic Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, Space: 1999, or even something like Red Dwarf, there was what I would describe as a lot more heart to them. Particularly with ST:TOS, you saw a willingness to do more experimental stories. This tracks with Hollywood post-"studio system" which perhaps is more obvious with movies than TV, but nevertheless we see lots of cookie-cutter stuff everywhere (movies, TV, music) because everybody wants to be the next Star Wars, nevermind the fact that they wouldn't want to finance it if it were a new property instead of an established workhorse.
These days the market seems to be aimed at much younger people, people that may/seem to have attention deficit disorder (or just a lack of patience to follow slowly built story arcs?) or some other inability to sit still and focus for longer than 20 minutes. This might be a cultural change thing even, rather than a personal thing? who knows?
I don't know if this was on the minds of Picard producers, but perhaps it explains their lack of bothering with background explanations. They just get on with things, producing a story which I don't think it could be any clearer is for existing Star Trek fans and not so much for n00bs.

Return to “Open chat”