Chat about just about anything else
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

"Smart" phones use and misuse.

Post by farkas »

I'm guilty of straying off topic in the forum
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=309510&sid=1b5ab21 ... a86a57f2d4
So I decided to start a new topic. The above topic was was about the merits of Linux phones. I have no experience with any version of smart phones, whether they be Android or iPhone or a whole universe of them. Must be an old fogie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
I don't think I'm a technophobe or averse to new technology. Built two desktops and also use a laptop. Early convert to Linux Mint.
Currently using a really old flip phone, you can see images of it in the first reference. The only problem I had with it was the battery, had to replace it after 15 yrs.+ of use.
I just haven't seen a need for me to use a smart phone. This little gadget is just right for my needs. I can make and receive voice calls, dial 911, call triple AAA (I hope never need to in either case), receive a verification code via text from my bank or a text reminder about appointments.
The drawback is sending text is excruciating. I wait until I can use one of my other machines to reply via email or just give them a plain old voice call. Voice calls are much more satisfying and personal.
If I were to get a smart phone, I'd have to get a fanny pack or a murse (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=murse). Can't put one in my back or front pocket and sit down.
While driving I see other drivers, with ear buds, glancing down to their right, sneaking a peek at whatever device is down there. In my jurisdiction you can use a device, while driving, as long as it's hands off. Also saw drivers using them, in their hands, while stopped at a stop light. Illegal.
A couple of days ago I was having lunch with my mom and sister. A couple was seated at a nearby table. After being seated both of them took out their phones and never took their eyes away from them. The only time they said anything was to the waiter for their orders. Always had the phone in one hand, keeping an eye on the phone, except when they needed to use a knife and a fork. Nary a word or two between them.
I'm wondering what is so important that you can't even look at each other or just say what do you think of this or that about menu item? Maybe they were texting each other about them?
Where has art conversation gone?
Then there are people walking with heads down looking at a device, not paying attention to their surroundings.
Also there is an over reliance on smartphone navigation aps.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=306221
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: "Smart" phones use and misuse.

Post by Moem »

I use my smartphone for a couple of things...
- light browsing, usually when I'm alone and waiting for something, or need to look something up on the spot (such as the address and opening hours of a store)
- messaging: Signal, Telegram and sms
- navigation, on foot in a city where I'm not familiar
- taking pictures
- phone calls
That's pretty much it.

When I'm driving, I use my smartphone for the following:
- Keeping a record of incoming calls (which go unanswered) and messages (same same) so I can follow up later
- Not a damn thing else. Hands on the steering wheel, eyes on the road!
A couple was seated at a nearby table. After being seated both of them took out their phones and never took their eyes away from them. The only time they said anything was to the waiter for their orders. Always had the phone in one hand, keeping an eye on the phone, except when they needed to use a knife and a fork. Nary a word or two between them.
Maybe they were looking up some reviews of divorce laywers.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

What amazes me is that the couple described did not take selfies... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

Yes, Its a different world out there isnt it? People have changed.

I installed a Bluetooth double din radio in my car. So, I can make and receive calls in the car as easy as changing a radio station. This solves a lot of issues for me. I cannot imagine not having one and using a cell phone in the car. However, I see it everyday. The scariest thing is looking in the rear view mirror and noticing that someone is paying more attention to the cell phone then their driving. While at a stop light I do play a bit of a game with them. When the light turns green and they are still looking at their CP I try and see how far I can go before they notice :) Sometimes its pretty funny. I will get about 3 or 4 car lengths before they notice :)

As for carrying a CP, I use a belt clip. Easy for me to actually clip it on my pants pocket (not belt).
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I'm another one who still uses an old fashioned cell phone. While there are many advantages to having a smart phone I wouldn't mind having, being a retiree, I just can't justify the cost of a cell phone and the monthly data bill. Before anyone accuses me of being a Luddite, I'm not afraid of new technology (or of losing my job to it; look up the original meaning of Luddite) and I eagerly embrace it as long as it cost effectively benefits me. However, it bites my ample asset when companies try to ram new technology down my throat that isn't cost effective for me (those companies won't get my business unless they will pay for the phone and its monthly data plan).

Also, "smart" phones are about as secure as a paper fence. I would think a Linux phone would be safer. My flip phone is pretty safe because I have GPS turned off and the phone stays turned off except when I'm actually going to use it, which is rarely. It cost me a whopping 12 shekels (gasp!) and a horrific $5.45 ( :shock: ) per month for what, for me, amounts to unlimited talk time (the days I actually use the phone cost only $1.99 for the whole day and the unused balance at the end of the month rolls over for up to a year or two).

I also feel it's sad how people have become so obsessed with their cell phones. They have become too dependent on them, can't entertain themselves without one (then again, I'm attached to my e-book reader: I justify my computers with my ADHD and needing something to keep me functional), prefer them to real company, do dangerous things with them (such as driving while reading texting, walking while reading and texting, taking stupid risks while taking selfies, etc), etc.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Lenovo B50 15" notebook

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Smart phones aren't the problem so much as a culture which leads people to be so distracted and isolated from the world around them. In my view, a smart phone is at best a conduit for this.

I'm not even close to original in saying our capacity for technological advancement has probably outstripped our rate of developing our wisdom. However, I happen to agree with it. We have failed to foresee and even really to guard against our tools being able to be used to work against our best interests.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I'm much as Moem, It's a tool to do a job, nothing more, nothing less. Browsing Faceache and the like is for my computer at home. The only useful task the phone does whilst driving is that it acts as a navman and crashcam. Mounted on my dash, I don't have to touch it to see where I'm going. Phone calls (receive only - I don't make calls whilst I'm driving) are handled by bluetooth and through the car stereo, so I don't even have to wear earplugs (headphones) whilst I'm driving.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 pm
I also feel it's sad how people have become so obsessed with their cell phones.
There is only 2 solution:
1). to make yourself more interesting for people than their smartphones.
2). if you can't, then leave things as is.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick »

The_fourth_monkey.jpg
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I have an iPhone X, and an Apple Watch and I enjoy using them, mainly for making and receiving phone calls, which are few and far between and fitness tracking. I no longer drive so I have none of the associated issues. My main use is when I'm out and about, listening to music, paying for items with Apple Pay through my Apple Watch, which I really like as I don't have to carry debit or credit cards, or remember PIN's. I also use it to track buses I need to take around the city. When I'm out with friends I seldom take it out unless I'm expecting a phone call or text and then I'll take myself away and do it in private. I feel it's so rude to be on your phone when you're with someone. I remember being in our local pub watching four young folks sitting around a table, and each one of them was on their smart phone. I wondered if they were texting each other rather than actually talk :)
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

ACE_
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ACE_ »

I used a Samsung A640 flip-phone for years and would still be using it if my carrier hadn't stopped supporting it this year. I now use a Samsung smart-phone, but I use it for the exact same things for which I used the A640; phone calls and the odd picture. I don't use it to browse the internet and I have disabled most of the apps on it so it is basically a dumbed-down version of a smartphone. I am actually one of those people who hates using a phone, which is reflected in my phone bill, being just $100 per year (the lowest amount per year offered by my carrier). I actually have a $378 credit with them because I have not used my purchased time/credits.

I do take some twisted pleasure in allowing people, walking with their head down, staring at their phone, to walk directly into me and send their phone flying.

I have no idea what people do or how they can stay on their phones for hours upon hours throughout the day. If you are one of those people who queues outside a store, in the middle of the night, just to purchase the latest phone, we can never be friends.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

ACE_ wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:10 pm
I have no idea what people do or how they can stay on their phones for hours upon hours throughout the day.
I have no idea too, but I'm sure they able to pay much more then 100$ per year. It's main difference between us and them.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

BigEasy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:24 pm
I'm sure they able to pay much more then 100$ per year. It's main difference between us and them.
I doubt that. Maybe they are playing a game that, once downloaded and installed, doesn't cost money at all. Maybe it's even free. Maybe they are reading an e-book. Maybe they have a contract like mine: 5GB a month for €10. Depending on where you are, data doesn't have to cost a lot anymore. And maybe they're sending SMS or WhatsApp messages... that's cheap.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Moem wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:56 pm
BigEasy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:24 pm
I'm sure they able to pay much more then 100$ per year. It's main difference between us and them.
I doubt that. Maybe they are playing a game that, once downloaded and installed, doesn't cost money at all. Maybe it's even free. Maybe they are reading an e-book. Maybe they have a contract like mine: 5GB a month for €10. Depending on where you are, data doesn't have to cost a lot anymore. And maybe they're sending SMS or WhatsApp messages... that's cheap.
Did you ever try youtube to test what is 5GB? Or online music? Some random 10 video clips and whole 5GB is over.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

BigEasy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Do you ever try youtube to test what is 5GB? Or online music?
No. I don't do those things on a phone. Which means that I don't use up those 5GB at all, and could easily spend hours and hours a day on my phone without running out of data, if I wanted to. Not that I want to...

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Here in the US, I use the MVNO Straight Talk, on the AT&T network, and for about €42 or so a month I've got 25 GB of 4G data. Honestly, I use my phone much more than I use my computer, so it wouldn't make sense to go with a really limited plan.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Of course, I have my highest concerns about my Android smartphone. Only - everything private is in the "pause" setting and I have not received any advertising or anything since 2016.
Also gmail: Huhh..! very, very bad - only, it has filtered out all scam in emails to this day.
I was a customer at mailbox.org until 2 months ago - and that's where scam slipped - I quit.
As a good Swiss citizen, I believe the promises of Proton in all its variants - from VPN to email traffic - exactly nothing.
U.S. America doesn't even have to say it out loud - and all data is at hand in no time. Like bank accounts. I speak here as a normal user - not as a billionaire.

With all that said, such a small mini-computer is extremely practical: I use OKO Light Meter as an external exposure meter for my digital photos. Transportr is an ingenious timetable and map system in Europe. Just A Damn Compass is a compass - in the forest, sometimes helpful in the fog ... with Lithium I read DRM-free eBooks, e.g. on the train - and I have also installed all manuals for devices, that may be important, as PDFs.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Open chat”