Mobilephones (Smartphones)...

Chat about just about anything else
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Mobilephones (Smartphones)...

Post by tenfoot »

Hi! We call them mobilphones in New Zealand but I've also heard them called Smartphones etc.

I have an old Samsung S4 and now want to upgrade to something newer. Researched Youtube and read zillions of reviews and have reduced it to the following models, which are within my budget. Prices vary and I show lowest - highest in $NZ. I am looking for reliability and reasonable performance rather than price.

Motorola G7 Power ($285 (on special) - $418)
Nokia 7.1 ($409 - $439)
Oppo A9 2020 ($429 - $485)

Your opinions would be very helpful.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mobilephones (Smartphones)...

Post by murray »

Have you taken into account the network you're on (Vodafone, Spark, 2 Degrees, etc)? I know that they use different bands and it's therefore best to ensure that any phone you get supports 100% of the bands used by your network (not all phones support all bands).

For example, on the Vodafone website they say:
The Vodafone NZ mobile network operates on the following frequencies:

2G - GSM 900MHz
2G - GSM 1800MHz
3G - 900MHz (U900) in rural and marine areas (up to 120 kms offshore)
3G - 2100MHz (U2100) in urban areas
4G - 700MHz (Band 28)
4G - 1800MHz (Band 3)
4G - 2600MHz (Band 7)
And on Spark's website they say:
Our 3G network uses the 850mhz and 2100mhz frequencies. If your phone isn't compatible with either of these frequencies, it's likely to receive limited or no reception, meaning calling, texting and data will perform poorly or not at all.
I couldn't find any info on Spark's website about their use of 4G, but I did find another website which claims to list all the frequencies/bands.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Hi Murray, Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll check out the models to see that the do have the necessary coverage.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

I set up a Nokia 7 for my sister-in-law last year: the nice thing is that only Android is on it, no bloatware. And Nokia takes updates very seriously.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I have a Moto G7, and I believe both the Power and Play variants are like it in that they don't come with all kinds of bloat, either. The only app that came pre-installed was Facebook, but you can remove it (not just disable it). I love the fingerprint scanner.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

It's good to know if Moto and Nokia are clean. I ended up being fatally annoyed about a Samsung Android - that was really bullshit.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

absque fenestris wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:27 am
I set up a Nokia 7 for my sister-in-law last year: the nice thing is that only Android is on it, no bloatware. And Nokia takes updates very seriously.
Yes. That is one of the things which led me to consider the Nokia.
tenfoot
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:32 pm
I have a Moto G7, and I believe both the Power and Play variants are like it in that they don't come with all kinds of bloat, either. The only app that came pre-installed was Facebook, but you can remove it (not just disable it). I love the fingerprint scanner.
There is a retailer at the moment who is selling the G7 Power for only $NZ285.00 ($US85.00) which is a considerable discount. The only matter which concerns me is the criticism in most of the reviews I've read is the Display which is describedType LTPS IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors with a resolution of 720 x 1570 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~279 ppi density)

Do you find the resolution satisfactory for day to day use? Also, I tend to watch a lot of Youtube videos and am concerned that the images would be terrible.

Ah! I've just noticed that you have a G7 and not G7 Power (note to self - Go to SpecSavers!). However, I would still appreciate your opinion.
Last edited by tenfoot on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenfoot
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

In addition, the Nokia gave me the physical impression of "rockproof"
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Resolution:
Every smartphone I've known for at least 4 years has resolutions that are almost silly. Are you looking at the phone with a magnifying glass?

I think I'm critical in resolutions: in Linux I prefer 3000 x 2000 pixels. Not all Linuxes understand me...
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I have a Samsung A30 and there is nothing that it can't do that I could do on my S8. It's only about $280.00 AUD on Amazon.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

have you considered the Samsung Note8 ?

Still yet today, it meets Flagship specs.

I have one, that I bought to replace two previous Note4 phones that I was forced to quit using, simply because all of the newer apps have abandoned Android 4.4.4 which is a shame, it works great.

these phones are now selling as low as $150 US, averaging around $175 US

that puts them right in the middle of your quoted budget range.

I love mine, screen is large enough to actually read something.

It also includes a Stylus that you can use for free hand note writing, something that a lot of phones can't do.

check them out.

https://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-note-8

all of the carriers listed on that page are North America.
just go to Samsung's website and inspect the Specifications for each of the following models, and choose the one that covers the bands in use for AU land.

Note8.png

Battery Life:

Charges in about 45 minutes.
If setting idle waiting for a call, it goes well over 3 days.

for me, making 2 calls a day on average, it lasts about 48 hours to the 35% charge level, which is where I put it back on charge.

I use MacroDroid to monitor the battery and have it Vocalize the Alert Battery Low 35% Connect Charger

the voice level is loud enough I can hear it all through the house.

I have a 2nd macro written monitoring 99% which Vocalizes " phone is charged, remove charger "

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

tenfoot wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:55 pm
Do you find the resolution satisfactory for day to day use? Also, I tend to watch a lot of Youtube videos and am concerned that the images would be terrible.

Ah! I've just noticed that you have a G7 and not G7 Power (note to self - Go to SpecSavers!). However, I would still appreciate your opinion.
This is actually the second Motorola Android phone I've owned; the first was the Google Nexus 6.

One of the other G7 variants has the same AMOLED type of screen the N6 did (though not the same size) and I miss that. However, the straight G7's screen is nice, so I don't feel it's a massive sacrifice, except that AMOLEDs are known for their greater degree of power conservation, which honestly I miss more than the extra vibrancy for which they are also known.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos on my phone, actually, and they look nice. I imagine the model with the AMOLED will look nicer.

That all said, one of my coworkers has one of the latest Samsung super-omg-flagship models, and its video quality — to say nothing of its video capture quality — is significantly better. But then again, for something like four times the cost, it better look better. :lol:

— Voltaire
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

A colleague at work has a Samsung Galaxy Fold which is quite nice (but stupidly expensive). Samsung tend to put their own launcher on their phones which means they're not a standard clean Android version.
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

murray wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:05 pm
A colleague at work has a Samsung Galaxy Fold which is quite nice (but stupidly expensive). Samsung tend to put their own launcher on their phones which means they're not a standard clean Android version.
yes, they do, but I kick that bastard into the Trash, and install NOVA Launcher.

Much better, allows creating a Folder, giving it a name, and stuffing all similar apps into that folder.
let's you touch the Home button and that page always pops into view.

It allows you to save a backup of the Screens to the SDcard, or to Email, so that you can restore, or recreate to a new phone, the same Desktop to the new phone.
Caveat here though: All of the apps on the Old Phone must be installed on the New Phone before
you double click on the Backup file, which can be in my Email NOVA folder.
that means that NOVA must be installed first.

Have done it many many times, it is a life saver.

NOVA allows as many screens as you wish, I have 7.

available in a minimalist version, or the Prime version which is the only one you will be happy with.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rime&hl=en

.this is the free version

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cher&hl=en

This is my Tools page which contains folders that give me the majority of the apps I want with two steps.

the folder 'Tools' contains 10 apps

the folder Google has Maps, Search, Translate, PlayStore

Weather has 4 Wx apps

GPS
has 5 apps

WiFi has 7 apps

Internet has 9 apps, one of which is the Honeywell Internet accessible Thermostat for my home.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:50 am
yes, they do, but I kick that bastard into the Trash, and install NOVA Launcher.
NOVA Launcher looks pretty neat.

My current phone is pretty much stock-standard Android with just the boot animation changed to show the Vodafone logo (it's a Vodafone-branded phone) and a few other small changes (no bloatware apps loaded!). It lets you create folders on the main screen and drag apps into them, but at the moment I only have one folder for all my Google-related apps (Gmail, Maps, Keep, Drive, etc).
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

My Moto G7 comes with the Moto App Launcher, which from what I've seen seems to be pretty much the same thing as Google's stuck Android 9 launcher. It lets me group apps and have widgets (the only one I use is the stock clock widget) and I'm happy with it.

— Voltaire

Return to “Open chat”