Level 5
Level 5

Re: Birthday gift for me [System 76 Darter Pro]

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:32 am
MurphCID wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:30 am
I finally posted a review here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175680849/ It combines everything from here.
Apparently over there some folks think I should just shut up and accept what System 76 delivers. How Microsoft/Apple.
No kidding! I abandoned that forum, mostly since Mint was rarely mentioned but also because of attitudes like that. Btw, if I disappear from here for 5 to 10, it will be because I got arrested for practicing proctology without a license after ripping a few new ones in that thread. :wink:
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Nicely done, they definitely deserved the rebukes :lol:
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:11 am
Btw, if I disappear from here for 5 to 10 ...
I love it! Those responses hit the nail on the head and are entertaining at the same time. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 am
Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has them. You can choose to ignore them even if they fart in your general direction ;)
ROTFLMAO!
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
MurphCID wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:32 am
MurphCID wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:30 am
I finally posted a review here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175680849/ It combines everything from here.
Apparently over there some folks think I should just shut up and accept what System 76 delivers. How Microsoft/Apple.
No kidding! I abandoned that forum, mostly since Mint was rarely mentioned but also because of attitudes like that. Btw, if I disappear from here for 5 to 10, it will be because I got arrested for practicing proctology without a license after ripping a few new ones in that thread. :wink:
Thank you. I thought I was clear enough on the original post that I DO know what to do/look for since I have put Mint on HP laptops. Again it appears Linux elitists and selective reading. Once more, thank you.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

BG405 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:57 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Btw, if I disappear from here for 5 to 10 ...
I love it! Those responses hit the nail on the head and are entertaining at the same time. :mrgreen:
Yes, they were brilliant.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Also in retrospect, the upgrades I added to the basic machine: 32gb ram, 500 gb NVMe Samsung 970 plus were perhaps a mixed bag. I love the drive and the space. No regrets at all. But watching my ram usage in HTOP, I think that I could have saved some money and gotten great performance by just adding an extra 8 gb stick for a total of 16 gb. 32 gb is overkill for what I use the computer for. I normally range between 2.5 and 4 gb of ram usage. Also I love this keyboard, it just feels good. I looked at my disk usage/disk storage and I am using less than 50 gb of space on the drive, even with all my music added! I will admit that I am addicted to HTOP, although in Windows I am a Task Manager addict keeping an eye on usage. I wish Linux had something pretty and graphical like Task Manager, it is just one of those little programs I love to have up and running. As soon as I start this laptop, I turn off bluetooth, and start a terminal session and HTOP before I do anything else.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

The only upgrades I made to my machine itself was to remove the stock 250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD and replace it with a 512GB Samsung 960 Pro and add a 4TB Samsung 860 Pro 2.5" SSD. I replaced the boot drive rather than installing Mint over the Ubuntu I ordered the machine with so, if I was unable to successfully install Mint on the computer, I could swap the original SSD back in and return the machine.

I also wanted the durability of a Samsung Pro for my boot drive over that of the EVO that came with the machine (which was no slouch of a drive but I'm greedy and paranoid). 512GB is way overkill for just a boot drive (heck, for just a boot drive, 25OGB is overkill) but 512GB was the smallest Pro NVMe Samsung (yes, I'm a Samsung SSD fan girl; deal with it :wink: ). The 4TB drive is strictly for data storage. The data on the laptop is identical to the data on the equivalent desktop drive I'm maintaining (I'm between desktops right now). Right now, the data drives have only 1TB each in use.

I ordered my POS...er...System 76 laptop with 16GB RAM which should be plenty for a long time, if not for the life of the laptop. My last desktop had 32GB of RAM and I rarely used more than 12GB of memory at any one time and I do not recall going over 16GB. The desktop was worked harder than this laptop normally will be so 16GB is probably overkill. I'm glad I did get the 16GB since upgrading will be a royal PITA.

I have a large movie collection (all were ripped from commercial DVDs that I own) that I'm currently accessing from the two 4TB Sammy SSDs that belonged to my last desktop that are currently in two external enclosures plugged into the Thunderbolt and USB C ports on the left side of my laptop (I cobbled together the bracket that holds the enclosures vertically from scrap aluminum angle and sheet I had knocking about the house):
IMG_0050.1.JPG
IMG_0050.1.JPG (15.67 KiB) Viewed 406 times
It works OK for now but will be a bit of a pain in the ...ah...neck to deal with whenever I get to travel again (stupid pandemic!), not to mention that, some day, those two movie drives will be inside a desktop (I could use one of their backup drives then but that introduces another pain in the neck). I have room for another 2.5" SSD and an M.2 SSD inside the laptop so I'm going to get either a Sabrent Rocket 8TB M.2 NVMe SSD (available now) or a Samsung 870 QVO 8TB 2.5" drive (coming out soon) to go inside the laptop and copy movies onto it.

I'm leaning toward the Sammy right now since it will cost less than the Sabrent and NVMe is gross overkill for a movie drive. Also, I'm a wee bit concerned about heating of the M.2s (they run hotter than 2.5" SSDs) and whether the laptop can handle that much capacity on the remaining m.2 buss. Warrantywise, both cost the same. The Sabrent costs $1500 with a 5 year warranty and the Sammy will cost $900 with a three year warranty. Both are QLC SSDs. I'm not all that crazy about QLC right now since they have horrendously slow write times when moving large amounts of data, especially when the drives approach half full and have around half the write life of even TLC SSDs but, since the one going into the computer will be read only once it is populated, I won't need to worry about it in this application.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:26 am
The only upgrades I made to my machine itself was to remove the stock 250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD and replace it with a 512GB Samsung 960 Pro and add a 4TB Samsung 860 Pro 2.5" SSD. I replaced the boot drive rather than installing Mint over the Ubuntu I ordered the machine with so, if I was unable to successfully install Mint on the computer, I could swap the original SSD back in and return the machine.

I also wanted the durability of a Samsung Pro for my boot drive over that of the EVO that came with the machine (which was no slouch of a drive but I'm greedy and paranoid). 512GB is way overkill for just a boot drive (heck, for just a boot drive, 25OGB is overkill) but 512GB was the smallest Pro NVMe Samsung (yes, I'm a Samsung SSD fan girl; deal with it :wink: ). The 4TB drive is strictly for data storage. The data on the laptop is identical to the data on the equivalent desktop drive I'm maintaining (I'm between desktops right now). Right now, the data drives have only 1TB each in use.

I ordered my POS...er...System 76 laptop with 16GB RAM which should be plenty for a long time, if not for the life of the laptop. My last desktop had 32GB of RAM and I rarely used more than 12GB of memory at any one time and I do not recall going over 16GB. The desktop was worked harder than this laptop normally will be so 16GB is probably overkill. I'm glad I did get the 16GB since upgrading will be a royal PITA.
Your support over there was much appreciated, I notice none of those drones have replied......
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 am
...Your support over there was much appreciated...
No problem; I'll send you a bill at the end of the month. :wink:
MurphCID wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 am
...I notice none of those drones have replied.
I noticed it, too, but I wasn't going to mention it due to it sounding like gloating (OK, it would have been gloating).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Well he poked his head up, and blasted my opinions, so I am out of there.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:28 pm
Yeah, I spoke too soon. The only reason I knew he poked his "something" up (I'm trying to be nice) was I'm still signed in for email notifications when a post I make gets a response.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:22 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Yeah, I spoke too soon. The only reason I knew he poked his "something" up (I'm trying to be nice) was I'm still signed in for email notifications when a post I make gets a response.
Me too. I have seldom seen someone so intentionally misrepresent what I posted.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
MurphCID wrote:
I've seen it many times; politicians and journalists excel at it.
Jeannie

DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Amen on that one...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:33 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:20 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

True. He apparently replied, but I am done since he apparently is shilling for someone or something. The attitudes over there are the same elitist BS that made me leave Linux for almost two decades. I would love to get the Lemur Pro, but without Coreboot. I just wish I could find it from someone other than System 76, I like the big battery, and form factor. I just wish that System 76 had not decided to do a vendor lock in.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

I just killed the thread and unfortunately you cannot delete your membership, so I deleted all the posts.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Getting the keyboard light issue to work on Arch: https://blog.burntsushi.net/system76-darter-archlinux/ This guy wrote a script to make it work:

$ pacman -Qs system76
local/firmware-manager-git r152.df334ae-1
Generic framework and GTK UI for firmware updates from system76-firmware
and fwupd, written in Rust.
local/system76-acpi-dkms 1.0.1-1
System76 ACPI Driver (DKMS)
local/system76-dkms-git 109-1
The system76 driver kernel module (DKMS)
local/system76-driver-git 19.10.1.r0.g966d6c0-1
System76 Driver for System76 computers
local/system76-firmware-daemon-git 1.0.7.r4.g4acf0ee-1
System76 Firmware Daemon provides a daemon for installing firmware updates.
local/system76-io-dkms 1.0.1-1
This DKMS driver controls System76 IO devices
local/system76-oled 0.1.3-2
Control brightness on System76 OLED displays
local/system76-power-git r234.a76dbae-1
System76 Power Management
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Also just to repeat that it is NOT all doom and gloom with this laptop, the keyboard is one of the very best I have used. Very nice, very comfortable to type on with excellent key travel. The screen is nice and bright, with no dead pixels. For a system of this size, I would have liked to have seen an extra M.2 slot like in the Lemur Pro, but I am using less than 50 gb! of space on this drive (500 gb). My goodness Linux Mint is efficient. On a Windows machine, I would be worried if I needed to add a 1 TB drive.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Ran it fully charged, and then drained it to 25% battery, and battery life was all over the place. Got about three hours of web surfing, YouTube watching, and that was it. Not ideal.

And a big shout out to Lady Fitzgerald for the great support! Thank you.

Return to “Open chat”