Birthday gift for me [System 76 Darter Pro]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Birthday gift for me [System 76 Darter Pro]

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks! I have covered all the remaining screws with Elmers glue to help keep them in. I have never had this happen before.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:06 pm Screw fell out of the back of the laptop and got lost (they are tiny).
I tend to bag-up the screws from old scraptops as they can come in handy in cases like this. Too easy to lose! Luckily the ones in my Thinkpad turned out to be captive (mostly).

I was using my Acer for quite a while with no case screws … :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:29 am Thanks! I have covered all the remaining screws with Elmers glue to help keep them in. I have never had this happen before.
The panel screws in my Clevo made System 76 laptop all had blue Loctite applied to the ends of the threads so I'm amazed your laptop's screw fell out. Blue Loctite will do a pretty good job of keeping screws in--better than Elmer's--yet they still can be removed with extra effort (it really helps to have some really small screwdrivers; just don't go too small). It only takes a tiny amount on the end of the threads (wipe off any excess before installing the screw. Even after removing a screw that had blue Loctite installed, it still will help to keep a screw from falling out when reinstalled, just not quite as well. Any home center, hardware, or auto parts store should have it and a small squeeze tube is not very expensive. Do NOT use red Loctite; that stuff is permanent!

Another trick is to use clear nail polish on the threads but that's not as good as blue Loctite.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Just got an email from System 76 and they are sending screws. Very nice of them. I will absolutely use Loc-Tite Blue, Thank you.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Do they also have replacements for users with loose screws? :wink:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 pm Do they also have replacements for users with loose screws? :wink:
LOL doubtful.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

antikythera wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:05 pm Do they also have replacements for users with loose screws? :wink:
I wish. I would be first in line to get replacements for my loose screws! :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:44 pm
I wish. I would be first in line to get replacements for my loose screws! :wink:
Me shortly after. I can repair a PC but my own chassis is way beyond repair :lol:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:29 pm
Me shortly after. I can repair a PC but my own chassis is way beyond repair :lol:
At 50 my body betrayed me, at 60 the decline put the pedal to the metal......
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I was at my best physical condition when I was in my late 40s and early 50s. I could put kids half my age to shame when hiking, etc. Around my mid to late 50s, my body wore out, starting with my feet (they are deformed), and it's been a steady decline since then. I've been legally handicapped for around a decade now. My mind is also starting to go but you would think that wouldn't bither me a bot.
Jeannie

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I (technically, in an extreme case) actually could have loose screws in my head .. long story but I do have a Titanium plate in there and I saw the two screws on the X-Ray. :razz:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BG405 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 pm
I (technically, in an extreme case) actually could have loose screws in my head .. long story but I do have a Titanium plate in there and I saw the two screws on the X-Ray. :razz:
The only screw I have is in my right foot and it's the only part of my body that is tight.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I really hate waking up with various aches and pains that were not there the night before. Also if I had known about today, I would have taken better care of myself at Fort Benning, and when I was on active duty (Infantry). The abuse of my youth is now demanding the bill be paid.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Amen brother...lol...My brain says im 18, my license says im 65, my body says im at least 80...lol...due to my cop years as well as my mechanic years...all due no doubt to lots of hard partying after rough, tough, days on the job...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:22 pm Amen brother...lol...My brain says im 18, my license says im 65, my body says im at least 80...lol...due to my cop years as well as my mechanic years...all due no doubt to lots of hard partying after rough, tough, days on the job...DAMIEN
Me too, plus the mental stress which never seems to go away. I spent 13 years working Major Crimes, mostly sex crimes against kids, so I probably have some PTSD from that (most departments, you only work those types of cases for 2-3 years max). Now three more years as the Sgt. of Internal Affairs/Special Investigations (sensitive ones), after a decade on the road. I'm tired. Been shot at, been stabbed, been beat up, almost been run over, had to jump off a road several times to avoid being struck, been in several wrecks, seen more dead bodies that I ever wanted to see, held the hand of a couple of people as they died so they would not die alone as EMS fought to save them, seen FAR too many abused kids, so I am pretty beat up right now.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Just assume the PTSD is definitely there...ive got it too...cause?... saw one too many DBs...seeing the kids is the worst though...Shot at a few times but only hit once in Boston...DAMIEN

Ps...I resigned from being "on the job" in 1989 as an LT., and went to mechanics thereafter before my retirement in 2010.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:46 pm Just assume the PTSD is definitely there...ive got it too...cause?... saw one too many DBs...seeing the kids is the worst though...Shot at a few times but only hit once in Boston...DAMIEN

Ps...I resigned from being "on the job" in 1989 as an LT., and went to mechanics thereafter before my retirement in 2010.
Good for you! I have 26 on, and I told the Spouse-Unit (She Who Must Be Obeyed!) that I am pulling the plug at 28, I can't do this any more.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

(She Who Must Be Obeyed!)
Another "Rumpole" fan...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...She who must be obeyed ?...THATS the problem, Thats why im happily divorced...I never did like dictatorships...lol.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 pm
(She Who Must Be Obeyed!)
Another "Rumpole" fan...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...She who must be obeyed ?...THATS the problem, Thats why im happily divorced...I never did like dictatorships...lol.
31 years it is cheaper to keep her.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Dude..your wife is wise NOT to want a new car often, and if I may be so bold being complimentary here...you're lucky to have a female companion in which isn't the dime a dozen " I have to have this that those brand new all the time..auggk..it's 3 years old already I need a new one"

Perhaps she is a sensible type that doesn't believe in debt either, another plus imo. Either way, yes.. I encourage you man..get ..debt-free.

You won't realize how GREAT it feels to get debt-free knowing you owe...nO ONE..and then..start pumping that Efund like a boss. For the first time in my entire working life. I have a one year expenses emergency fund..in cash. NOTHING to me beats that feeling of freedom ( except when I turn on my pc and knowing I've kicked Windows in the nuts....Bruce Lee style and moved on to Linux Mint 20 since my 40th birthday late July)

. My 05 civic si is STILL running like a champ (although gas mileage isn't quite what it used to be..but performance wise= still the same). I've had that car since day one brand new December 8 2004 and I plan to run that sucker at least another 15 years

Camry's, Civics, Nissan Datson pickup trucks...refuse to die man. Transmission problems can happen to ANY vehicle..period. 200k miles...300k miles..it will EVENTUALLY happen. That's no reason to get a brand new vehicle ( in case brand new was suggested). Worst case if it's like my friend's 2002 grand caravan - in which she's on her THIRD transmission complete rebuilt in less than 160k miles and she changed the ATF and had it fully serviced religiously ON TIME..every time - then it's time for another good but 3 to 7 year used vehicle. That I can deal with. But a camry, them suckers last FOR E V ERRRR Unless you're needing a vehicle in which is easier ( entry height wise ) to get in an out of, screw it.

I say .,..Run that sucker until the wheels literally fall off and rust.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Open Chat”