Organizing Podcast (MP3 Files) for Ordered Playback

Chat about just about anything else
Tater
Level 2
Level 2

Organizing Podcast (MP3 Files) for Ordered Playback

Post by Tater »

Hello All,

I have started listening to podcasts on an old Android phone (No SIM, no service) while I drive. I use gPodder to download the files and then I copy them onto the phone into their own folders. I have been using AIMP on the old phone as a player with a playlist for each podcast. That has worked very well except for a sorting issue.

Unfortunately, some of the podcasts are not named with a leading number so I end up with a folder full of randomly named files with the same date on them (the date they were downloaded) so that they can't easily be sorted to play in the order they were actually published. I have had to go through some of them and manually rename the files, which sucks when there are hundreds of files in some cases.

I do not want to iTune, Google Play Music or otherwise set myself up to be marketed to constantly as a price of admission (Also, the phone doesn't talk to the network so that may break the service). I just want to listen to my podcasts in the order they were published.

I have looked at some Android apps hoping to find something but they all seem to be (judging by what the reviews focus on) aimed at downloading from services to a live cell phone and none of the reviews I have found address sorting issues. None seem to acknowledge that they can play files you add to the phone yourself, either.

So: Any ideas on how to get these files to sort out by publish date instead of download date or by name? Any good apps that will play a folder of mp3 files in order of publication? Any programs on Linux that will set the files up for sorting? Basically, anything that will make this easier.

Thanks.
Current victims:
Mint 20 Cinnamon on an HP 505B AMD Athlon II x4 645 / 3.1 Ghz w/ 8 GB Ram

Mint 19 Mate on a Dell Latitude D830 Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz w/ 4 GB Ram

OS Reinstall Counter is set at 6
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Organizing Podcast (MP3 Files) for Ordered Playback

Post by kukamuumuka »

Rename files using gprename or pyRenamer by adding running number before name.

Linear growing name patterns (numbers) using pyrenamer -> https://puolanka.info/goto/linear-growi ... pyrenamer/
Tater
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tater »

Thank you for the reply. I will take a look at these when I get home tomorrow.
Current victims:

Tater
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tater »

kukamuumuka, I followed your link and, from the image there, pyRenamer looks like a possibility. It has a music option which, I assume, means that I could order the files using data from the MP3s so I could rename the files in order of creation/publication. But. pyRenamer is not in the repository. I found where I can download the source (from github where version 0.6.0 resides since 2013). I guess I can learn how to compile from source. It is a skill one should have, I suppose. But I don't, as of yet, know how to do it. If it is a reasonable answer, can anyone point me to a clear tutorial?

I found some packages at pkgs.org, but. I have never heard of pkgs.org and the packages are listed for Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 at the newest. So, I am not sure if I would be safe installing that package for both these reasons. I have broken Linux by installing software in the past. If I can get someone to vouch for the site, I am willing to give it a shot.

I installed GPRename from the repository but it does not appear to have any way to order the files before renaming them. In fact, for my purposes, it looks like I would have to manually rename the files to get them in the order needed to automatically rename them. :lol:

Thanks for the information.
Current victims:

Second Round
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Second Round »

Not sure if this will help but maybe it'll give you some ideas. I was seeking to sort my music files on a USB flash drive that plugs into my car stereo. I used to have a windows program that did it (drivesort) but recently it quit working. So if I added a CD to my collection, it would appear last in order, rather than in alphabetical order.

I found a terminal command that would do it - fatsort - and shared it over at the Raspberry Pi forums.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... t#p1576416
Tater
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tater »

Second Round, thank you for the suggestion. I have added it to my file for further investigation.
Current victims:

Return to “Open chat”