Chat about just about anything else
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by all41 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:34 pm

I looked at that map, and it does not seem to have been updated since the 1st day that it was released.
This one from John Hopkins gets updated often
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
libera ab tyrannis

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

all41 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:55 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:34 pm

I looked at that map, and it does not seem to have been updated since the 1st day that it was released.
Yes,
bookmarked that one.
the other one did not even show the USA had any reports.
this version shows 62 which sort of tallys with the news reports I've seen
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

New Zealand has its first confirmed case (I knew I spoke too soon above when I said we didn't have any!). Apparently caught while the person was visiting Iran. Latest report is that her health is improving so probably no risk of death. Authorities have tracked down everyone that was sitting near her on the plane and put them into quarantine. The John Hopkins map shows the NZ case, so that map is indeed kept up-to-date, but for some reason they're showing it in a city that is several hundred miles away from where the person actually is (map shows Wellington while the person arrived and has staid in Auckland).

Apparently the virus can live for up to 9 days outside of a body on surfaces such as plastic, glass, etc.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

As usual, the media are playing their part in making people panic buy. Idiots here were already stockpiling masks but now toilet paper, disposable nappies, hand soap, disinfectant gel, alcohol sprays and tissues are in short supply! People are also panic buying instant cup noodles, which is stupid because they don't have a long shelf life!

old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by old_noob »

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm self medicating, Kronenbourg, so far okay.
Shouldn't you be drinking Corona? :mrgreen:

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

murray wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:49 pm
Apparently the virus can live for up to 9 days outside of a body on surfaces such as plastic, glass, etc.
it is said that basic cleaners, rubbing alcohol, lysol and hand sanitizer can prevent this virus from spreading and kill it. wash your hands , don't touch your mouth or eyes with your hands are simple ways of not contracting it.

the thing to worry about is not this virus but how it got started. i highly doubt it started with eating exotic animals which china claims it so.

Slash_Earth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slash_Earth »

Watch Global Warming be the antidote for this virus. Maybe the heat will kill it off.

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

old_noob wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:15 pm
AndyMH wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm self medicating, Kronenbourg, so far okay.
Shouldn't you be drinking Corona? :mrgreen:
I once lived in Corona---California
libera ab tyrannis

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

trytip wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:55 pm
murray wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:49 pm
it is said that basic cleaners, rubbing alcohol, lysol and hand sanitizer can prevent this virus from spreading and kill it. wash your hands , don't touch your mouth or eyes with your hands are simple ways of not contracting it.

the thing to worry about is not this virus but how it got started. i highly doubt it started with eating exotic animals which china claims it so.
I don't have the link any more, but I read a very good article where the Chinese admitted that it escaped from their lab that works with virulent stuff. the claim was, they were trying to find a vaccine for it?

In any case, it originally came from someone being exposed to bats ( most common claim )
there are so many theories out there, it is nearly impossible to verify any of them.

I just found this new link which deals specifically with the "Where did it come from" topic.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science ... s-n1144521
Full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

But scientists say the virus' similarities to known coronaviruses in animals — particularly bats — rule out the idea that it was created in a lab.

To trace a virus to its source, scientists typically look for clues in its molecular makeup. Chinese scientists published the coronavirus' sequenced genome less than two weeks after the first case in humans was reported — a lightning-fast development made possible by advancements in technology.

"This would have taken us six months to a year to do before," said Gene Olinger, a Maryland-based virologist at MRIGlobal, a scientific research organization that is helping to develop diagnostic tools for the coronavirus. "We had those first sequences almost immediately — that's unheard of."
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

all41 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:55 pm
I use that and this one from worldometers:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This one also gives you a reading on new cases (so +5 etc) ontop of the data that the John Hopkins map shows. It is a good judge of how 'bad' a particular outbreak is in any particular country.

I also follow two threads on the Arstechnica forums, the first is more general and the second is a more science based discussion (but insightful!):

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1464630

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1464584

Now on that second thread we were getting some info from CDC people, until a day ago when it seems there has been a clamp down on that info going public in the USA?

Anyway we should all be concerned, and take precautions to not become spreaders of this virus as well. Wash hands often (with anti-bacterial soaps), cough into tissues (or your sleeve if you can't get to a tissue in time!) and avoid area's where you have heard/seen people coughing sneezing in.

Here is my main issue with all of this. Our governments are freaking out at the economic consequences of all this, and that means they are not watching the ball (imho) which means without a quick hard response to slow/limit the spread (people moving) this is likely to get much worse.

Sure it is not the most deadly conovirus/sars like virus we have seen, but it is orders more transmissible and that in itself will make it more deadly overall. We still know little about how well it survives depending on environmental variables and it might be it is going to be around a long time, out-breaking here, then coming under control only to flare up in another population somewhere else, and likely being possible to re-infect people again.

It has the potential to completely change our day-to-day lives, and the slow/cautious response designed to limit economic impact is not going to help keep it under control.

So yeah, i'm not freaking out (in part i'm not in the demo-graphic it seems the most fatal too, +60 year old men, smokers, people with underlying health issues etc) so much as having concerns to not want to get it to become a spreader myself and obviously concerns for my older family members etc.

To that end i'm keeping as upto date on the info i can get access too (the stuff mentioned above + the more reputable news sources) and have a mask (P3 type, but a P2 can do also if stated it is rated for viral and bacterial protection) and clothing to use if needed later on, and have started to stockpile a few food items (that store well) just in case we (the family) need to weather out a few weeks at home.

China seems to have managed to stop it spreading heavily internally, and we all need to hope for that outcome in our own countries. Italy, South Korea and Iran look especially bad, but the rest of us are not far from potential vectors from those. Fingers crossed it dies out once spring arrives properly.

EDIT: on 'whose to blame' and the various conspiracy theories, once you read/talk to/follow a few conversations from actual micro-biologists you quickly understand this is not that unique a virus in that conovirus exist and have done for ages (long before we had the technology to make stuff like that ourselves). They are just part of the natural system we are all part off.

Having said that it is rare when we get a Sars, H1N1, and now Covid-19 mutation cycle, but it happens (as we have seen). Both Sars and H1N1 were more deadly, but they were reasonably hard to catch. Covid-19 seems much more like a hardcore and potentially deadlier flu, which can still be super bad news depending on how we (as individuals, and as nations) deal with it.

Russia is pushing a lot of the conspiracy stuff, so that should put it into better perspective?

And besides which world leader would want to create a virus that they would be in the high risk of death group if they caught it? Putin might survive......so there is that ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

As Mencken said "A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier."

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/opinio ... 093664.php
"I have the coronavirus. So far, it isn't that bad." (he's had it for a couple of weeks or caught it a couple of weeks ago)

"This has been much easier: no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily, and I don't have a stuffy nose. My chest feels tight, and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

Not sure how I feel about the WHOLE thing :?: Now there is talk by (some) people that want the US government to take over healthcare :?: Just so many questions

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:10 am
In any case, it originally came from someone being exposed to bats ( most common claim )
there are so many theories out there, it is nearly impossible to verify any of them.
no my friend, being exposed to bats will not cause a world wide pandemic 8) i lived around bats in southern california and quite a lot of countries in this planet have many species of bats similar species and no such virus ever showed up in local hospitals.
we seem to forget the SARS virus which also came from china and which also attacked the pulmonary respiratory system, quite a coincidence would you say?
i don't want to subscribe to any conspiracy theory or believe any one report, seems the world has a pandemic of fake news, like the fake cries of Greta Thunberg that the world is burning, coming from a teenager that left school and her own country to "enlighten the world" with her bullcrap

at this time i don't care about this coronavirus crap, i wash my hands very often, use sanitizing wipes on my tools and keys (i work maintenance so i see a lot of different cultures and touch a lot of door knobs) and i try not to eat bats and armadillos.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

trytip wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:54 am
at this time i don't care about this coronavirus crap, i wash my hands very often, use sanitizing wipes on my tools and keys (i work maintenance so i see a lot of different cultures and touch a lot of door knobs) and i try not to eat bats and armadillos.
That just reminded me of this post: https://time.com/4908654/cell-phone-bacteria/

Whether you die of viruses or bacteria under more or less heated gretathuna temperatures... ... ?
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

trytip wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:54 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:10 am
no my friend, being exposed to bats will not cause a world wide pandemic 8) i lived around bats in southern california and quite a lot of countries in this planet have many species of bats similar species and no such virus ever showed up in local hospitals.
we seem to forget the SARS virus which also came from china and which also attacked the pulmonary respiratory system, quite a coincidence would you say?
i don't want to subscribe to any conspiracy theory or believe any one report, seems the world has a pandemic of fake news, like the fake cries of Greta Thunberg that the world is burning, coming from a teenager that left school and her own country to "enlighten the world" with her bullcrap

We're definitely on the same page --no bats, anteaters, pangolins, or armadillos---
we are being fed a crock
libera ab tyrannis

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

I only mentioned 'bats' as they were in the article that I posted.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 pm
Are you seeing more armadillos in OK lately?
Seeing a lot more here is SE MO in the past few years--perhaps due to global warming.
Why did the chicken cross the road? to prove to the armadillo it could be done.
libera ab tyrannis

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

all41 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 pm
Are you seeing more armadillos in OK lately?
Seeing a lot more here is SE MO in the past few years--perhaps due to global warming.
Why did the chicken cross the road? to prove to the armadillo it could be done.
I live in the northern part, 30 miles north of Tulsa.
Been here 10 years and AFIK, there has only one Armadillo crossed through our back yard.
He came up to the Patio where we keep bird seed out for the Squirrels and birds....
We keep water in a pan on the patio so the animals/squirrels can get a drink...

kind of neat to see him come across, it was late at night, and the light triggered on.
Light didn't seem to bother him, just casual as you please, wandered off the woods behind us.

We have 6 acres and roughly 2 of those are in heavy trees..... like to see the animals come and go.
No fences to keep them out.

I do see a lot of armadillos out on the highways around me though, most of them flatted out from the trucks.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

absque fenestris wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 pm
I suspect subtle messages in this cartoon
libera ab tyrannis

Return to “Open chat”