https://twitter.com/search?q=%23event201

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by Pjotr »

trytip wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:11 pm
we should however NOT EAT animals that carry wide varieties of deadly diseases like rabies from dogs, bats, raccoons etc. but people eat monkeys where there is no food to eat so i can't blame them for trying to feed their family.
Partly agreed. However, in the case of Covid-19 there was no famine to blame for eating bats, pangolins and other horrors from the wet markets. It's just bloody fun food for some Chinese, not food they need for survival....

So the Chinese government should eradicate that particular fun food phenomenon in China. Those wet markets should be obliterated with an iron fist, if need be. Transgressions should be punished with the utmost harshness.

The entire world should demand that, because otherwise future new pandemics are inevitable. But instead, the bloody WHO has recently approved of the re-opening of the wet markets in Wuhan... :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:13 pm
trytip wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:11 pm
we should however NOT EAT animals that carry wide varieties of deadly diseases like rabies from dogs, bats, raccoons etc. but people eat monkeys where there is no food to eat so i can't blame them for trying to feed their family.
Partly agreed. However, in the case of Covid-19 there was no famine to blame for eating bats, pangolins and other horrors from the wet markets. It's just bloody fun food for some Chinese, not food they need for survival....
well some may say otherwise that a worker from this lab infected went to the market. a virology lab close to the wuhan markets? that's a bit too incidental, would you not agree?
Wuhan Institute of Virology:
Located in Jiangxia District, Wuhan, Hubei, it opened mainland China's first biosafety level 4 (BSL–4) laboratory in 2015.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Ins ... f_Virology

old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by old_noob »

Moem wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:49 pm
Mod note:

All talk of Trump and other politicians stops.
Now.
OK, after thinking for a few days, I decided to be troublesome and say something.

First, as has been pointed out already, it is impossible to have a rational discussion of the COVID-19 situation without dragging politics into the discussion. The horrific actions of many political figures around the world have resulted in much more health and economic damage than would otherwise be the case. These actions affect the statistics that define the spread of the virus. So are those statistics banned political discussion too?

Second, the subject of China-bashing (not that I disagree with it) and China-bashing posts being allowed to remain. Criticism of the Chinese government is just as overtly political as criticism of a US president or a British or Swedish PM. Yet those posts are not being deleted or warned.

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

Bill Gates isn't a politician , then again he isn't a scientist either yet he seems to be getting lots of airtime on this matter. He is the largest private finder of the WHO and they are the organization whose guidance is being followed on a global scale. Global governance has emerged. And they say that until a vaccine is found the world cannot return to normal. One of their stated goals is to inject the entire world. Some people are going to make lots of money.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

old_noob wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 pm
First, as has been pointed out already, it is impossible to have a rational discussion of the COVID-19 situation without dragging politics into the discussion. The horrific actions of many political figures around the world have resulted in much more health and economic damage than would otherwise be the case. These actions affect the statistics that define the spread of the virus. So are those statistics banned political discussion too?
The statistics, no. Those actions, yes.
old_noob wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Second, the subject of China-bashing (not that I disagree with it) and China-bashing posts being allowed to remain. Criticism of the Chinese government is just as overtly political as criticism of a US president or a British or Swedish PM. Yet those posts are not being deleted or warned.
Good point.
Okay, all critisism of the Chinese government stops now, too. Just don't talk about governments. Mine, yours, anyone's. Just don't.

The thing is, and let me be perfectly transparent here:
- I'm only human. I'm not a robot. My moderation will never be perfect. Deal with it. I'm doing the best I can so that this thread can stay open.
- I'm apparently the only one who is willing to keep an eye on this thread, more or less all the time. It's a handful.
- If I don't want to moderate it anymore, because it becomes too tiresome, then it has to be closed. If all y'all want to keep this thread open, don't make it too hard for me.

Do we have an understanding here?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Thank you Moem for trying so hard, I appreciate your efforts, especially in a very emotive topic, such as this. I saw a report a few days back, and I'm not sure that it was too far from the truth. If I can find it again, I shall post a link. Anyway the crux of it, was that the infection was traced to one individual who liked to do unmentionable things with animals, including bats. From what I understand, it is an acceptable thing in some circles.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:57 pm
Thank you Moem for trying so hard, I appreciate your efforts,
And I to thank you as well. You do have a thankless job and I will admit the "quote the Guardian" crowd I find overtly political but then I am as well. I give you the benefit of the doubt in doing the best you can - If I was a mod I would have shut this thread down days ago.
lsemmens wrote:
. . . . the infection was traced to one individual who liked to do unmentionable things with animals, including bats. From what I understand, it is an acceptable thing in some circles.
And with that I think I will bid this thread adieu . . . . .

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gittiest personITW »

lsemmens wrote:
I saw a report a few days back, and I'm not sure that it was too far from the truth. If I can find it again, I shall post a link. Anyway the crux of it, was that the infection was traced to one individual who liked to do unmentionable things with animals, including bats.
No,
They are still trying to trace Patient(s) X.
The people doing this admit that this is getting less likely as each week goes by so don't hold your breath for this one.
Also, if, say, the first person to have the virus on their hands was one who was not affected by it (80% of the population so it is thought at the moment) then that makes it even less likely.

This is bull**** journalism pandering to what their advertisers want - more clicks.
Don't worry - we'll know about it when/if they find the original person(s).

Yes, we can speculate, but don't spread click-bait.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

I wouldn't mind if this thread of mine would be closed. In fact, I request its closure.

I started it in the days of first worldwide panic, in order to have a place where we could share our fears and concerns, and thus make them lighter to bear. In that beginning it served its purpose rather well, I think.

But now that things have calmed down a bit, it's derailing too often. And it's becoming too dominant for a technical support forum like this, anyway.

I realize that it's not up to the thread starter to determine whether "his" thread should be closed. That's the sole jurisdiction of the moderator team. Still, I'd like to ask for a closure.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:57 pm
The thing is, and let me be perfectly transparent here:
- I'm only human. I'm not a robot. My moderation will never be perfect. Deal with it. I'm doing the best .........
Discussion on technical, economic and health policy, yes.
Personal attacks on customs, traditions, peoples and governments, no.

"There are so many little things, gnawing, eating
Little by little ruining our ideal
Are phrases lost in a world of screams and gestures
In a guilt game that does so much harm
I searched for the right word
See if my cry of warning is understood"

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:26 am
I wouldn't mind if this thread of mine would be closed. In fact, I request its closure.

I started it in the days of first worldwide panic, in order to have a place where we could share our fears and concerns, and thus make them lighter to bear. In that beginning it served its purpose rather well, I think.

But now that things have calmed down a bit, it's derailing too often. And it's becoming too dominant for a technical support forum like this, anyway.

I realize that it's not up to the thread starter to determine whether "his" thread should be closed. That's the sole jurisdiction of the moderator team. Still, I'd like to ask for a closure.
Pjotr, whilst I fully understand why you started this thread and I think I understand why you want it closed I do not want it closed down. Until the last few posts it was an oasis of sanity for me in terms of getting information about CoVid19. :?

Moem, I'm quite sure that moderating this thread (a good word in this context) is very difficult but please remain. You have done an excellent job and, as I said above, I don't want to lose my sanity looking for another sensible source of CoVid19 information. :D

To those very few, apparently USA based, who blather on about political issues surrounding the pandemic, may I ask you to refrain from trying to assign blame as this is very definitely not the right forum. :roll:
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:26 am
Seconded
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

Just bought a new car pretty much online and phone. Cars are NOT selling good at all. Got a killer deal but now I have to go and pick it up. Kind of scary due to all the cases in the Ft. Wayne IN area :oops:

Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:22 pm
I want to see something from a respected journalist outfit.
We can forget about that...there hasnt been any ethical journalism since Chet Huntley and David Brinkley and Walter Cronkite...Journalism went into the toilet from there...Just that someone forgot to flush...DAMIEN
Ah , Walter Cronkite ? Here is a video of him accepting an award from the World Federalist Association. Straight from the horse's mouth. This is how we have arrived to where we are now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fruO15l0oSk

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

'NHS warns of rise in children with new illness that may be linked to coronavirus':

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
Children are falling ill with a new and potentially fatal combination of symptoms apparently linked to Covid-19, including a sore stomach and heart problems.

The children affected appear to have been struck by a form of toxic shock syndrome. Some have been left so seriously unwell that they have had to be treated in intensive care. At least one has undergone extra corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) treatment, which is used when someone’s life is at risk because they can no longer breathe for themselves.

It is not known how many such cases have appeared, though it is thought to be a small number. But NHS bosses are so concerned that they have written to doctors alerting them to the existence of the syndrome and asked them to urgently refer any children who appear to have it to hospital.

In a letter to GPs in north London, reported by the Health Service Journal , NHS bosses said: “It has been reported that over the last three weeks there has been an apparent rise in the number of children of all ages presenting with a multi-system inflammatory state requiring intensive care across London and also in other regions of the UK.

“The cases have in common overlapping feature of toxic shock syndrome and atypical Kawasaki disease with blood parameters consistent with severe Covid-19 in children.

“There is a growing concern that a Sars-CoV-2-related inflammatory syndrome is emerging in children in the UK, or that there may be another, as yet unidentified, infectious pathogen associated with these cases.”
We are not out the woods yet.

------------

And on the note about the 'origins' of virus like coronavirus, this american HBO youtube clip from a guy called Bill Maher gives some needed perspective IF we want to avoid this kind of thing repeating (sars/coronavirus/H1N1 etc), we need to treat our food animals better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OoT2OZWCOI
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

New Zealanders wake to first day of lessened coronavirus restrictions:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-28/ ... s/12191880
Thousands of New Zealanders are heading back to work as the country begins its first day under relaxed lockdown restrictions,
- after successfully slowing the spread of coronavirus.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder »

So censorship is the rule, got it big brother, I won't bother anymore

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

The numbers are in. The Chinese coronavirus is the flu. Nothing more. In the United States, over 80,000 people died from the flu in 2018. What is said about it? Nothing.

"My 85 year old grandmother died of the flu."
"Oh, that's awful. But...you know...the flu."

That's the way we feel about the flu because it's not new. The Chinese coronavirus is new so there is fear. What do the number show? 0.5% death rate in New York. 0.5% to 0.7% death rate in Los Angeles. The number of cases has risen sharply due to testing. This is what just happened in New York and was expected. But what the very inaccurate models showed (those that were used early to determine what action to take), was that the death rate would also go up. But it hasn't. Large number of infections, very small death rate. All quarantines and sequestering in place need to end right now. We are killing our economy for no good reason.

Herd immunity. Yes, some people will die. 80,000 in 2018 from the flu. Yes, that is tragic. But it happens every year. The average deaths from flu in the U.S. are between 20k and 60k per year. Most are the old and the infirm. It's awful. But many more survive and become immune. And the overall human community is better for it. Not the deaths, the life.

An hour long video explaining it all.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

this thread serves no less or more purpose from any other thread. it's the internet and i don't consider it real life. whether it closes or not it still remains we have to live with this virus in real life. i never understood why users are so concerned with a thread going off topic.

if you close it that means all these comments were posted for nothing and people just wasted time posting here instead of doing something else.

to be fair i had no idea who OP was, i just thought it was a community thread

Return to “Open chat”