Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by AZgl1500 »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:17 am
lsemmens wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:09 am
...why is it so that they are not so worried about the MVA death rate?
I think people are worried about motor vehicle accidents, how to prevent them, and how to reduce the damage they cause. Safety features are added to automobiles each year, attempts are made to make roads safer, traffic laws are put in place to address preventable accidents.

For over two years I have been petitioning for a 3-way stop sign to be installed at the intersection next to my house - the speed limit for the street I live on is an overly generous 25mph, and yet the idiots using my street as a short-cut zip through at >45mph.
I have similar situation where my county road meets with US-169.
just 1/4 mile north on 169 is the School: Elementary thru High School. the traffic is unbelievable during ingress/outgress periods with the buses and parents trying to drop off/pick up their kiddos.

We have asked for a Signal Light to be installed to improve safety.... the cost is ~$10,000 to the town, balance picked up by the Federal guys ( US highway ).

That light has been voted down every year, town can't afford the $10k to have the light installed.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

The world (at large) are more concerned about catching a "cold" than they are at modifying their driving habits which was my point entirely. If we could modify our driving the way many have modified their habits (i.e. cleaning, face masks etc) to prevent the capture of said disease then our roads would be waaaaay safer. Anyway lets get BOT, It was a throwaway comment,
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Positive news: Corona symptom reducer chloroquine will be deployed in The Netherlands, starting now. Dutch news item:
https://www.destentor.nl/zeewolde/wonde ... a~aa9a4d6f

Chloroquine can be produced cheaply and its production can be scaled up rapidly.

All patents concerning the ancient malaria medicine chloroquine (currently used for certain rheumatism treatments) have expired long ago. And its safety for humans has also been tested long ago (albeit for the treatment of malaria and certain forms of rheumatism). So other countries can follow suit quickly.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:43 pm
All patents concerning the ancient malaria medicine chloroquine (currently used for certain rheumatism treatments) have expired long ago.
Ha. That was a weekly(daily even?) medicine when i was in the tropics. I had no idea it was so old-fashioned these days? What do people take in Malarial zones now?

Oh and i just read this:
There is not enough evidence to determine whether chloroquine is safe to be given to people aged 65 and older. However, the drug is cleared by the kidneys and toxicity should be monitored carefully in people with poor kidney functions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroquine

Which might be a bit of a problem considering it is that age group most at risk from covid-19? Still a choice between drowning in my own lung fluids or not is one i'd take a risk on.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Problem solved!

Post by lsemmens »

Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Lol! Well in a pince i guess you got to use what is at hand right? ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

Just a thought, no way provable either way.
I confess, I am a Boomer, I used to believe in progress with no thought of consequences. With 20/20 hindsight, now I see that it is coming back to bite us in our own butts.
It may be that the Gaia hypothesis is true.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis
Maybe our Mother Earth is trying get back in into balance, sustain life on earth.
Covid-19 might be one of the warnings to get our act together or is remedy She is using.
Removing those who messed up the the fine balance of habitability. The most susceptible are the ones are the previous generations.
The latest reports I've heard are that children are very small minority of those affected.
It maybe that She is saying that it is time for the current and next generation to get their act together, rethink of how to live in harmony with Mother Earth. Or? Your guess is good as mine. The previous generations messed it up. I apologize for my part of it.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

I think we should beware of seeking some metaphysical meaning behind the occurrence of this nasty virus. It's human to do so: people have always did that with all epidemic or pandemic diseases in the history of mankind. But it usually didn't help much to turn a plague into a moral or religious issue. In fact, it tends to create a certain apathy, which is even counterproductive. :wink:

What does help: I'm glad that finally some promising progress is being made with symptom relieving medicines. That should reduce the mortality.

Vaccines are under way as well (already vaccine designs are being tested on animals), but it'll last a year before they can be rolled out. Effective symptom relieving medicines is all we can hope for in the short term, and at last hope is dawning for speedy availability of those. Chloroquine is one of them, but there are more. Thank God for science.

In the meantime: increase your personal hygiene (especially your hand washing), avoid masses whenever possible, avoid public transportation whenever possible, don't shake hands with or kiss people outside the family circle, sneeze in the elbow hollow of your arm, etc.

For the rest: keep calm and carry on. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

farkas wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:42 am
Maybe our Mother Earth is trying get back in into balance, sustain life on earth.
Covid-19 might be one of the warnings to get our act together or is remedy She is using.
Hmm, I like the thought although I don't really share that point of view. I personally think it's just what happens if too many of a species live too close together: diseases start popping up.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

farkas wrote:
The virus is manmade.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:04 am
That should reduce the mortality.
I am not entirely convinced that is a good thing. The rationalist within me believes that a large reduction of Earth's population would solve or alleviate an awful lot of the problems facing humanity. I am thinking of climate change, energy supply, food supply, pressure on wildlife, etc. There's no doubt in my mind that the loss of even a quarter of the planet's population would have no significant effect on the survival of our species.

Evolution theory suggests the survivors of such a catastrophe would not only be better able to survive similar disasters in the future, but the species may even be improved by it, because mankind's development has always been the result of environmental pressure to change.

The problem with this view is that it is difficult to apply at a personal or individual level. I certainly don't want to suffer the effects of the virus, though at my age death itself holds no fears. Nor would any leader or politician have the courage to promote a policy of allowing the virus to have free rein. That would be political suicide. I guess we'll just muddle through as usual, and then try to pin the blame on an individual or a group, or a nation.
Cliff Coggin

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

BigEasy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:27 am
farkas wrote:
The virus is man-made.
And really those 'wet markets' are a virologists nightmare waiting to happen (and it has, numerous times now). I know it is a cultural thing, but after China's experience of Covid-19 i hope they can persuade people they need to change away from wet markets to something much more hygienic and less dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_market

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

farkas wrote:

Removing those who messed up the the fine balance of habitability. The most susceptible are the ones are the previous generations.

It maybe that She is saying that it is time for the current and next generation to get their act together, rethink of how to live in harmony with Mother Earth. Or? Your guess is good as mine. The previous generations messed it up. I apologize for my part of it.
Organic life certainly affects the conditions on the planet directly but, "Mother Earth" warning us with a flu...?

Only several centuries earlier, as you know, when we were living much more in accord with that balance, it was a rare occasion that a person lived past 50th birthday. So, if you outlived that marker and live in relative comfort, you should be very grateful to the previous generations that made that happen through, no doubt, great labor and suffering like all real parents do.

In contrast, "Mother Earth", kills us all, one way or the other. She simply wants us all dead, if there is any purpose in our existence here...

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

So what IS with the toilet paper craze thing?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -in-sydney

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ilet-paper

Apparently this started in Hong Kong and Singapore during the early stages of the outbreak in China, and it was caused by some facebook posts that were claiming that the Chinese government were about to seize all supplies of toilet paper to re-purpose to make into face-masks.

Anyway these facebook/social media stories were linked back to the Russian Troll factories and the information war Russia is playing during this outbreak. So yeah, you DONT need to buy a trolley full of toilet paper, you are being trolled (professionally).

If you need to stock up on anything, make it a couple weeks worth of food (that will keep) and water(if you need that), just in case you need to go into self-quarantine and not go shopping/into public places. Sure you may need more toilet paper also, to cover those couple weeks, but you don't need like a years worth of the stuff (insert captain picard facepalm).

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Fortunately for the economy, the Russian boss is not called Getout...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

as I am 78, my daughter does not allow me out of the house, :lol: she says we have to avoid the crowds, something we have been doing anyway since we live in the Rural outback, town is a half day trip.

We have developed the habit of ordering up non-perishable groceries, supplies, etc with Walmart.
They ship it to us free via FedEx trucks.

My Suburban can drink up 3 gallons of gasoline real quick like on town trips, so having most of our supplies sent to us free is a real bonafide savings for us.

We have one of those 'Dollar General' brand stores locally, that takes care of milk and bread.

Even so, we have established a stronger regimen of washing our hands every little bit.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

ZakGordon wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:54 am
So what IS with the toilet paper craze thing?
Yeah that's a strange one. I'm in New Zealand and while there's been a little bit of panic buying it seems to have been limited to only a few days after it was announced we had our first case. Toilet paper is produced locally and the company has been at pains to point out that the virus won't affect their output and they've got warehouses full of the stuff.

My partner pointed out that even if there was no more toilet paper, would that be the end of the world? Couldn't we simply use a wet towel or a sponge on a stick like the Romans used to use?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

murray wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 pm
Couldn't we simply use a wet towel or a sponge on a stick like the Romans used to use?
Years ago my dermatologist told me that the best thing to use on your dirty behind was a wet washcloth, but most people wouldn't do that because they wouldn't want to clean them (the washcloths) afterwards. :)

thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...makes sense. Human race - what else did you expect?
First they turn the Amazon forests & trees into...toilet paper.
Humans literally had a whole lifetime to start thinking outside the box,
and re-evaluate their relationship with nature, the media etc etc...

And now we finally met the Apocalypse & the 4 horsemen.
Yes, it is true: even the media which have always shamelessly served the market and/or goverment's interests,
in those last, agonizing, final important days of humanity, they at least do have the decency to finally say so & warn us.
As expected, people just run around in panic like beheaded chickens,
barging into supermarkets, in order to consume masks, soap, and the aformentioned said...toilet paper.

Too late for tears i'm afraid. We're officially doomed.
No s*it paper will be available in a few days. I predict riots in the streets due to such eventually...

However, it really can't be stretched enough that all the signs were literally there - in plain sight!
I mean, we 'knew' this was coming - just how hard would it be for humans to prepare themselves in advance,
put some of their hard-earned bucks aside, and somehow purchase one of those?...
kohler.jpg

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Schultz wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:33 pm
murray wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 pm
Couldn't we simply use a wet towel or a sponge on a stick like the Romans used to use?
Years ago my dermatologist told me that the best thing to use on your dirty behind was a wet washcloth, but most people wouldn't do that because they wouldn't want to clean them (the washcloths) afterwards. :)
actually, the best thing is one of those bidets for toilets.
wish I had one, and it is a PITA trying to get the shower hose low enough to do that.... TMI, yup.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”