Chat about just about anything else
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:58 am
I disagree. Do let's stop blaming the Spanish for something that was never Spanish. 'The 1918 flu' is clear enough.
I'm not blaming the Spanish. Nor is anyone else in his right mind, I daresay. It's just a generally accepted historical name, that's all. Political correctness "name games" are not only confusing, but also rather annoying. :wink:

We have more important things to spend our time and energy on. Like dealing with the current pandemic....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:11 am
I'm not blaming the Spanish. Nor is anyone else in his right mind, I daresay.
Ah, if only everyone were in their right mind... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:52 am
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:11 am
I'm not blaming the Spanish. Nor is anyone else in his right mind, I daresay.
Ah, if only everyone were in their right mind... :wink:
Yes, but the crazies can simply be ignored or ridiculed. :lol:

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

The only problem with these historical pandemics that did "disappear" over their natural course. I'm not certain that it was actually "herd immunity" that caused their disappearance but, that those susceptible were all killed off.

[wry mode}
This current strain could well be nature just attempting to address the imbalance of "too many humans" on this planet.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:59 am
[wry mode}
This current strain could well be nature just attempting to address the imbalance of "too many humans" on this planet.
We certainly could do with a spot of birth control in some countries, I agree. But this virus primarily targets humans past the reproductive age.... So if nature would be a thinking being, which it's not, it'd be doing a bad job with Covid-19 if it wanted to achieve something in that respect. :wink:
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:01 am
lsemmens wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:59 am
[wry mode}
We certainly could do with a spot of birth control in some countries, I agree. But this virus primarily targets humans past the reproductive age.... So if nature were a thinking being, which it's not, it'd be doing a bad job with Covid-19. :wink:
Thanks mate, made I LOL! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it may just be the First big Causality:
- - Virgin Airline ( Australia ) has entered into voluntary administration
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-20/ ... y/12165550
and
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52363428

The Federal Government has continued to hold back support for the airline, and despite NSW and Queensland's Governments arguing about where the company should be headquartered:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-21/ ... s/12167814
- and those private equity firms are circling.

The company had already gone into an Trading Halt:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-14/ ... s/12146572
The Federal Government has been under pressure to help the struggling airline, which has grounded its aircraft and stood down thousands of workers because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

David0089
Level 1
Level 1

Post by David0089 »

I have joined Folding@Home Linux Mint Team 76140, to fight NASTY COVID-19 Global Virus!

I'm folding as:
DipankarPal
Team 76140

Any disease
Points earned
(See stats)
0 go to Team Team Linux Mint's total of 4,763,092,284.

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:35 am
it may just be the First big Causality:
- - Virgin Airline ( Australia ) has entered into voluntary administration
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-20/ ... y/12165550

The Federal Government has continued to hold back support for the airline, and despite NSW and Queensland's Governments arguing about where the company should be headquartered,
- and those private equity firms are circling.

The company had already gone into an Trading Halt:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-14/ ... s/12146572
The Federal Government has been under pressure to help the struggling airline, which has grounded its aircraft and stood down thousands of workers because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Boss replies https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... us-support

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

dorsetUK wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:09 am
that for his Virgin Atlantic airline - though .. which also is in trouble
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:52 am
...The 1918 Influenza Pandemic subsided because exposure to the virus did promote immunity and because the virus itself mutated to be less virulent.
With regards to the assertion that is bolded - can you please give me a credible scientific reference for this "theory". I have never heard of this before and it is contrary to my understanding of molecular biology, virology, and virus mutation...

Yes it is true that all organisms are susceptible to mutation... But when a mutation occurs, it is a single individual that is effected. It isn't that the entirety of the population or species (billions of individuals in the case of viruses) are synchronized and all mutate in the same way at the same time... The mutation represents a new "strain" of the virus in question... and then both strains co-exist in a population of hosts IFF the mutant strain is viable (the vast majority aren't). The original (parent) strain doesn't just go away. It continues to do what it does until the host population stops it with... wait for it... Yes, that's right - Herd immunity!!!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:14 am
dorsetUK wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:09 am
that for his Virgin Atlantic airline - though .. which also is in trouble
:oops: Sorry, he only owns 10% of Virgin Airline ( Australia ). I thought it was much more and that 'Atlantic' was the 'parent'. :oops:

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

on another Note:
it now seems that Western Australia has recorded no new cases of COVID-19 overnight,
& the first day with no new confirmed cases of the virus in more than five weeks.

The last time WA recorded a day with no new cases was March 12.

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:18 am
on another Note:
it now seems that Western Australia has recorded no new cases of COVID-19 overnight,
& the first day with no new confirmed cases of the virus in more than five weeks.

The last time WA recorded a day with no new cases was March 12.
Good news - let's hope it stays at zero.

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick »

Well this sucks. Coronavirus has mutated into at least 30 strains:

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Co ... nds-625333
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

slipstick wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:55 am

Could be a blessing in disguise.... Quote from that article:
“Sars-CoV-2 has acquired mutations capable of substantially changing its pathogenicity,”
That could go either way: more lethal or less lethal. The overall evolutionary tendency should be towards less lethal, because a lesser lethality increases the spread of the virus. And after surviving an infection with one strain, a patient should at least have built up some resistance against the other strains.

But it's a mixed blessing, because it makes creating an effective vaccine more difficult.

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

slipstick wrote:

So some guy IN CHINA found 30 mutations in 11 patients... Hmmmm.... If he had drawn more blood from just 1 patient (in order to harvest more copies of the virus), he might have been able to find more than 30 mutations in that 1 patient... at least in theory - right? (I LOVE your signature line) :wink: The article uses a lot of "sciencey sounding words" but doesn't actually say anything of any substance.... it's sensationalistic journalism - scifi speculations but no hard facts... simple (point) mutations are relatively common but may or may not have any significance... OBTW - 30 "mutations" does not equal 30 "strains" of virus - the terms are not interchangable. The journalist is either uninformed or taking liberties with language for the sake of sensationalism...

In today's world, I have serious credibility concerns for any web page that is spewing sensationalistic (I'll be nice) stuff and has more space on the page devoted to sensational ads than to the content of the article I am reading...

...just my $0.02... YMMV! :mrgreen:
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am
But it's a mixed blessing, because it makes creating an effective vaccine more difficult.
Not necessarily Pjotr. If you have multiple "strains" of a virus that share similar antigenicity, a vaccine to 1 would likely give (at least partial) immunity to the others... Effecting how virulent a virus is may or may not change it's antigenic characteristics... this is the basis for the practice of using live, attenuated virus in vaccines. Flu vaccine used to be a live attenuated vaccine but now it is not a live vaccine but rather "sub-viral" particles...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

Reorx wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:45 am
slipstick wrote:

So some guy IN CHINA found 30 mutations in 11 patients... Hmmmm.... If he had drawn more blood from just 1 patient (in order to harvest more copies of the virus), he might have been able to find more than 30 mutations in that 1 patient... at least in theory - right? (I LOVE your signature line) :wink: The article uses a lot of "sciencey sounding words" but doesn't actually say anything of any substance.... it's sensationalistic journalism - scifi speculations but no hard facts... simple (point) mutations are relatively common but may or may not have any significance... OBTW - 30 "mutations" does not equal 30 "strains" of virus - the terms are not interchangable. The journalist is either uninformed or taking liberties with language for the sake of sensationalism...

In today's world, I have serious credibility concerns for any web page that is spewing sensationalistic (I'll be nice) stuff and has more space on the page devoted to sensational ads than to the content of the article I am reading...

...just my $0.02... YMMV! :mrgreen:
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:15 am
Not necessarily Pjotr. If you have multiple "strains" of a virus that share similar antigenicity, a vaccine to 1 would likely give (at least partial) immunity to the others... Effecting how virulent a virus is may or may not change it's antigenic characteristics... this is the basis for the practice of using live, attenuated virus in vaccines. Flu vaccine used to be a live attenuated vaccine but now it is not a live vaccine but rather "sub-viral" particles...
I know vastly less than Riorx but his analysis of the article sounds spot on. I rather think that this discovery actually changes nothing.
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

When a new disease breaks-out and begins to rapidly spread, it is difficult to know how to immediately respond. Some growing evidence suggests (for the US anyway) that there may have been an overreaction. Early antibody testing suggests COVID-19 infections in L.A. County greatly exceed documented cases.
"Based on the results of the first round of testing, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county’s adult population has an antibody to the virus. Adjusting this estimate for the statistical margin of error implies about 2.8% to 5.6% of the county’s adult population has an antibody to the virus — which translates to approximately 221,000 to 442,000 adults in the county who have been infected. That estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the county at the time of the study in early April. The number of COVID-related deaths in the county has now surpassed 600.

“We haven’t known the true extent of COVID-19 infections in our community because we have only tested people with symptoms, and the availability of tests has been limited,” said lead investigator Neeraj Sood, professor of public policy at the USC Price School for Public Policy and senior fellow at the USC Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics. “The estimates also suggest that we might have to recalibrate disease prediction models and rethink public health strategies.”" (emphasis added)
Of course this is one study. More studies would be needed to verify whether the findings described in the article above are a true reflection of how COVID-19 affects the population and what strategies would be required to deal with COVID-19.

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Trialling a vaccine.https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... d9592b5f39
Let's hope it works.

Return to “Open chat”