Level 2
Level 2

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by Roadpower »

Portreve wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:34 pm
Moem wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:06 am
Yesterday I dug up my old scooter (as shown in the attachment), finally replaced the front tire (I bought a replacement two years ago...), and then took it out for a spin.
Roadpower wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:21 am
Interesting, I've not seen that kind of scooter before. Who is the manufacturer? :)
AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:46 am
I've not seen that kind of scooter before either....

It took a bit of digging, but lookie what I found...

OP Scooters: Kickbike Sport G4

At least we know the kind of scooter it is.

This whole discussion has reminded me of the fact that I've got a bike which I haven't ridden in too long. Unfortunately, we're steadily marching into summer, with temperatures already as high as 35,5° (96°F) and we're still in April, so there's no way I'm going to ride it now.
haha, that is great. Thanks for finding that. :)
DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I built a pair of motorised 26 inch frame bikes about 6 years ago and ride them everywhere all year long in the high desert, (4,500 ft.altitude), since this part of the country has sunshine and warm temperatures 99% of the year...i can get them up to 42 mph but usually back down to a nice relaxing 23 to 27 mph...nice way to be able to be out yet keep your distance...now have about 6,000 miles on each of them and they still run great...DAMIEN

PS...its curious that everyone i know now seems to want me to help them build one as well...lol.
ORDO AB CHAO
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I used to cycle a lot (started back in my youth!) but over the last decade i just got fed up with the cost of 'modern' cycling. All components now seem designed to wear out fast (in general) even the costly brand names (Shimano etc). The last 15 years has seen me go through about £600 of replacement parts (from gear derailleur to brake-pads), and it seemed like those thin brake pads (let's not even talk on the 'disc-brake' style ones!) would need replacing every 100 miles or so (basically too often imho).

Go back 20-30 years and apart from the bike itself and the occasional brake pad replacement (like once a year!), that was all you needed to worry about in terms of cost, and this was in the 'golden era' of my cycle history when i did fun stuff like cycle to Ireland and tour the south-east to south-west coast and back again! So i was cycling monster miles, with hardly any bike hardware turnover (tires likewise used to last a longtime).

The only good thing i can think about in relation to modern day cycling is that you now have a good choice of puncture resistant tire types. I rode Armadillos back in the early 2000's for good mileage and never had a puncture (which in a city like London is quite an achievement with all the glass everywhere), then by the 2007 era those lost some of their quality and durability so i started switching around to find a new option, which sadly never arrived before i shelved my now expensive 'hobby' in disgust.

What i'm looking for now is old 'grandad' bikes, with all old grandad era parts, as these will atleast last for an extra 50 years on their current 50(!), if not be the most comfortable or efficient ride! Bah! now get off off my lawn! ;)

-----------------

In coronavirus news, don't experiment with self medication and bleach, no matter what a President might suggest!

'Coronavirus: medical experts denounce Trump's latest 'dangerous' treatment suggestion':

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... sinfectant

Captain Picard faceplam is not feeling like enough these days!!
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Moem wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:06 am
Yesterday I dug up my old scooter (as shown in the attachment),
finally replaced the front tire (I bought a replacement two years ago...),
and then took it out for a spin. That was fun...
...fairly confident Moem dug up her Honda XL instead of a scooter & enjoyed a few wheelies
- but simply preferred to not explicitly say so, in order for the rest of us to not feel jealous... :) :mrgreen:
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

ZakGordon wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:32 am
I used to cycle a lot (started back in my youth!) but over the last decade i just got fed up with the cost of 'modern' cycling. All components now seem designed to wear out fast (in general) even the costly brand names (Shimano etc). The last 15 years has seen me go through about £600 of replacement parts (from gear derailleur to brake-pads), and it seemed like those thin brake pads (let's not even talk on the 'disc-brake' style ones!) would need replacing every 100 miles or so (basically too often imho).

Go back 20-30 years and apart from the bike itself and the occasional brake pad replacement (like once a year!), that was all you needed to worry about in terms of cost, and this was in the 'golden era' of my cycle history when i did fun stuff like cycle to Ireland and tour the south-east to south-west coast and back again! So i was cycling monster miles, with hardly any bike hardware turnover (tires likewise used to last a longtime).

-----------------

In coronavirus news, don't experiment with self medication and bleach, no matter what a President might suggest!

'Coronavirus: medical experts denounce Trump's latest 'dangerous' treatment suggestion':

First - please, oh please, don't use disinfectant or bleach internally :!: Taking either into the body will make you ill and really could kill you.

ZakGordon is right.

Second - though I can't cycle now I wholeheartedly endorse cycling as a means of keeping well but walking is even better and I can do that. 8)
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃
rossdv8
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rossdv8 »

I bought an AUD$80 21 speed mountain bike on special at the supermarket in 2009 to ride when I was ashore (I was mostly living on one of my yachts). I spent about $50 on it between then and last year, when it was so bad from the salt air that the spokes were rusting.

So I went to the same supermarket and got its sister. Same bike, but instead of black, it is a pretty, girly-white with pink flowery designs. Most of the accessories that were not rusted fitted straight on.

I can;t believe how good the thing is. A little heavy - but the gearing makes light work of that. And it's nice to ride by a construction site and be 'wolf whistled'. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration - I'm a 66yo overweight bloke! But the pretty bike gets some laughs. And I get some exercise again since I had to give up living aboard most of the time.
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

ZakGordon wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:32 am

Oh come on. Let's be fair: he was thinking out loud, hesitatingly asking a doctor whether that might perhaps be an option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHkzqejFKbM

Perhaps it's not very smart to even ask a doctor whether injecting bleach might possibly help. A smarter person would probably have rejected that idea out of hand, as soon as it entered his mind.

But come on guys, you'll have to admit that this framing in the media is unjust and even defamatory. He definitely did *not* suggest it.

About cycling: I'm an avid cycler in the summer, when the woods I normally walk in, are infested with ticks (Borrelia!) and horseflies. On a bicycle you're safe from ticks and almost safe from horseflies.

But I'm hesitant to ride my bicycle in this pandemic. The bicycle lanes over here are narrow, and faster cyclists have to overtake you very close by. At a very unsafe distance.....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Mod note:

All talk of Trump and other politicians stops.
Now.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Roadpower
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roadpower »

The media is completely incapable of being objective with those that they dislike. I figured this out about forty five years ago.

No politicians mentioned! :wink:
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Interesting - I post a couple of sites that address both sides of and issue with no advocating for one side or the other and the post gets taken down. But post The Guardian a site that definitely has a bias - no problem it stays up . . . . . got it.
Last edited by majpooper on Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Yeah well i thought the reaction from the medical profession said it all. You have to be 100% sure people are not mistaking what their elected leaders are saying if they are not often clear themselves, and that was the focus of the article i posted, a BIG push back from the medical/scientific community to be sure there was no confusion about injecting disinfectant! Someone will try it.

Anyway i couldn't care less how or who that kind of stuff is said, when it is dangerous and wrong to even put it out there, that is worth sharing. The Dali Lama could have said it and i would think it important to share! ;)

Anyway, i will leave such articles aside in future (as just the mention of the man that shall not be named is now a problem!) and focus on some more interesting stuff like this:

'Coronavirus detected on particles of air pollution':

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -pollution
Coronavirus has been detected on particles of air pollution by scientists investigating whether this could enable it to be carried over longer distances and increase the number of people infected.

The work is preliminary and it is not yet known if the virus remains viable on pollution particles and in sufficient quantity to cause disease.

The Italian scientists used standard techniques to collect outdoor air pollution samples at one urban and one industrial site in Bergamo province and identified a gene highly specific to Covid-19 in multiple samples. The detection was confirmed by blind testing at an independent laboratory.

Leonardo Setti at the University of Bologna in Italy, who led the work, said it was important to investigate if the virus could be carried more widely by air pollution.

“I am a scientist and I am worried when I don’t know,” he said. “If we know, we can find a solution. But if we don’t know, we can only suffer the consequences.”
And i remember speculation for the initial fast spread in China was in part attributed to bad pollution levels, which i had assumed was about people having weaker lung capacity more than the virus travelling on the pollution particles. So that is an interesting new bit of info, and as a consequence of the virus pollution levels have plunged, so that IS a good bit of news if this study proves to have merit.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

edit. We can't talk about it.

Let's just hope that as Linux users we have enough 'smarts' about us to not want to try any random thing someone might suggest involving self injection and disinfectants!

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Perhaps time for some broader reflections.

It looks like we've had a spot of luck with Covid-19, in that it appears to be a bit less generally deadly than we feared it to be at first. Deadly enough to be taken very seriously still, of course, but we can count ourselves lucky that at least the young and healthy appear to be little affected.

In The Netherlands, hospital admissions continue to decline, as does the number of IC patients. The current lockdown definitely has worked as intended. As in other countries, the restrictions are being lifted a bit here, although only by a little and very carefully.

Not so good news on the economic front. The economic damage is already gigantic and continues to grow. In order to limit the damage, restrictions would need to be lifted a lot further. Some people are thinking about a lock-in of the most vulnerable population segments, while removing most restrictions for the young and healthy. Sounds reasonable to me....
busdriver12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by busdriver12 »

I received an email this morning from my boss advising that the WA (Western Australian) government will be resuming normal Monday to Friday public transport schedules as of Wednesday 29th April. Looks like our government is starting to take the foot off the brake (no pun intended). This will be in line with the commencement of Term 2 of the school year.

Despite Australia (and New Zealand) showing good results with Covid19 infections/spread, I'm concerned about complacency and a potential second wave as a result of that. There are still a lot of people who haven't been infected and the potential for an explosion of new cases is very real if we're not careful.
Phil

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.8
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

busdriver12 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:37 pm
I received an email this morning from my boss advising that the WA (Western Australian) government will be resuming normal Monday to Friday public transport schedules as of Wednesday 29th April. Looks like our government is starting to take the foot off the brake (no pun intended). This will be in line with the commencement of Term 2 of the school year.

Despite Australia (and New Zealand) showing good results with Covid19 infections/spread, I'm concerned about complacency and a potential second wave as a result of that. There are still a lot of people who haven't been infected and the potential for an explosion of new cases is very real if we're not careful.
You're saying exactly what I've said previously, and what also worries me greatly. If people start getting infected like crazy — or worse yet, dying like crazy — there will be all kinds of hell to pay. I can't vouch for how things will go in Australia or New Zealand, but the U.S. is already polarized enough; my fear is this will simply amplify an already really bad situation.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

busdriver12 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:37 pm

I'm concerned about complacency and a potential second wave as a result of that
+1 on this--me too
Linux Crux=Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam+libera ab tyrannis
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

It would help greatly if people would be obliged to wear a mask in shops and in public transportation. That way, the infection risk would be decreased considerably, even when people are in close proximity....
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:06 am
It would help greatly if people would be obliged to wear a mask in shops and in public transportation. That way, the infection risk would be decreased considerably, even when people are in close proximity....
I'm heading over to my car dealership in about an hour, and I'll definitely be wearing a mask. The risk is too great at this point, and frankly other people are too stupid to be trusted to do what's right for themselves and anyone else. The state I live in is not exactly renowned for its population's common sense. :wink:

— Voltaire
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:32 am
The state I live in is not exactly renowned for its population's common sense. :wink:
I know, I saw you partying on the beach :)
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:38 am
Portreve wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:32 am
The state I live in is not exactly renowned for its population's common sense. :wink:
I know, I saw you partying on the beach :)
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

— Voltaire

Return to “Open chat”