Chat about just about anything else
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by trytip »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:06 am
It would help greatly if people would be obliged to wear a mask in shops and in public transportation. That way, the infection risk would be decreased considerably, even when people are in close proximity....
it would be great if at the entrance of every major supermarket or mall they would sell a facemask for $.99 and a bottle of $2.99 Purell or $4.99 rubbing alcohol to make our own
leaving supplies on the shelf with no enforcement people will hoard again. i'm off to find some clear alcohol 70% not sure now which would be best Everclear 95% is too strong
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

trytip wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:41 pm
Pjotr wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:06 am
It would help greatly if people would be obliged to wear a mask in shops and in public transportation. That way, the infection risk would be decreased considerably, even when people are in close proximity....
it would be great if at the entrance of every major supermarket or mall they would sell a facemask for $.99 and a bottle of $2.99 Purell or $4.99 rubbing alcohol to make our own
leaving supplies on the shelf with no enforcement people will hoard again. i'm off to find some clear alcohol 70% not sure now which would be best Everclear 95% is too strong
Yes, but Everclear has other uses. :wink:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick »

trytip wrote:
i'm off to find some clear alcohol 70% not sure now which would be best Everclear 95% is too strong
Just dilute it with distilled water to get to 70%. Here's how to calculate it for isopropyl alcohol - ethanol calculation is probably similar.
https://onsenlabs.com/blogs/blog/isopro ... experience
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Bobb24
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobb24 »

was looking through this thread and haven't seen any mention of the other angles, maybe didn't read through all. Have a look at a couple of posts I am linking . Document referred to in first one can be downloaded from second link. Third one is link to Event 201videos that were livestreamed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-FA1Hx ... atch_on_yt
https://archive.org/
https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org ... ideos.html
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

slipstick wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:03 pm
trytip wrote:
i'm off to find some clear alcohol 70% not sure now which would be best Everclear 95% is too strong
Just dilute it with distilled water to get to 70%. Here's how to calculate it for isopropyl alcohol - ethanol calculation is probably similar.
https://onsenlabs.com/blogs/blog/isopro ... experience
Seems to work better from the inside out though
Linux Crux=Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam+libera ab tyrannis
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

An interesting perspective, and probably not wrong:

'We did it to ourselves': scientist says intrusion into nature led to pandemic':

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ndemic-aoe
The vast illegal wildlife trade and humanity’s excessive intrusion into nature is to blame for the coronavirus pandemic, according to a leading US scientist who says “this is not nature’s revenge, we did it to ourselves”.

Scientists are discovering two to four new viruses are created every year as a result of human infringement on the natural world, and any one of those could turn into a pandemic, according to Thomas Lovejoy, who coined the term “biological diversity” in 1980 and is often referred to as the godfather of biodiversity.

“This pandemic is the consequence of our persistent and excessive intrusion in nature and the vast illegal wildlife trade, and in particular, the wildlife markets, the wet markets, of south Asia and bush meat markets of Africa… It’s pretty obvious, it was just a matter of time before something like this was going to happen,” said Lovejoy, a senior fellow at the United Nations Foundation and professor of environment science at George Mason University.

His comments were made to mark the release of a report by the Center for American Progress arguing that the US should step up efforts to combat the wildlife trade to help confront pandemics.

Wet markets are traditional markets selling live animals (farmed and wild) as well as fresh fruit, vegetables and fish, often in unhygienic conditions. They are found all over Africa and Asia, providing sustenance for hundreds of millions of people. The wet market in Wuhan believed to be the source of Covid-19 contained a number of wild animals, including foxes, rats, squirrels, wolf pups and salamanders.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

ZakGordon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:34 am
An interesting perspective, and probably not wrong:

'We did it to ourselves': scientist says intrusion into nature led to pandemic':

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ndemic-aoe
The vast illegal wildlife trade and humanity’s excessive intrusion into nature is to blame for the coronavirus pandemic, according to a leading US scientist who says “this is not nature’s revenge, we did it to ourselves”.

Scientists are discovering two to four new viruses are created every year as a result of human infringement on the natural world, and any one of those could turn into a pandemic, according to Thomas Lovejoy, who coined the term “biological diversity” in 1980 and is often referred to as the godfather of biodiversity.

“This pandemic is the consequence of our persistent and excessive intrusion in nature and the vast illegal wildlife trade, and in particular, the wildlife markets, the wet markets, of south Asia and bush meat markets of Africa… It’s pretty obvious, it was just a matter of time before something like this was going to happen,” said Lovejoy, a senior fellow at the United Nations Foundation and professor of environment science at George Mason University.

His comments were made to mark the release of a report by the Center for American Progress arguing that the US should step up efforts to combat the wildlife trade to help confront pandemics.

Wet markets are traditional markets selling live animals (farmed and wild) as well as fresh fruit, vegetables and fish, often in unhygienic conditions. They are found all over Africa and Asia, providing sustenance for hundreds of millions of people. The wet market in Wuhan believed to be the source of Covid-19 contained a number of wild animals, including foxes, rats, squirrels, wolf pups and salamanders.
Well, not "we". The guys that operate those wet markets, and their customers with a sick idea (pun intended) of "fun food". Otherwise agreed. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Over the years, many diseases have been caused and spread by keeping too many animals, too close together. This includes the animals that most people here in the Netherlands consider to be okay and normal to eat.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 am
Over the years, many diseases have been caused and spread by keeping too many animals, too close together. This includes the animals that most people here in the Netherlands consider to be okay and normal to eat.
Correct, but the article in The Guardian I'm responding to, deals exclusively with the wildlife trade and the wet markets, not with industrial cattle farming. And Covid-19 didn't come from some industrial chicken farm. It came from a wet market in Wuhan. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Right, I was looking at a broader perspective. Not to put too fine a point on it: if we (all of us, as in: humanity) would not eat meat, we'd avoid a lot of disease including this one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

The problem with 'factory farming' animals isn't just that its cruel but it is a breeding ground for diseases.
To stop some of the diseases killing the animals before they are slaughtered they get pumped full of anitbiotics.
Guess where that ends up - yes in the people that eat it.
So, we all get the benefits (!) of anitbiotic resistance because of this.

Whenever we keep animals in overcrowded and unnatural situations we are going to get this problem.

Yes, there are diseases in the natural world that spread intra and inter populations but the meat industry speeds up this process and makes it more likely for a situation to explode.
It isn't just Covid.
We were lucky with MERS and Swine Flu.
I would say we were lucky with bird flu in 2013, but there seems to be another strain breaking free as we speak - coming to a tree near you folks. Thank you factory farming.

If you are wondering what the above has to do with Covid, well, keeping animals cramped in cages in 'inhumane' conditions with a lack of basic hygiene doesn't seem to be good for our or our animal compatriots' health either.
AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 am
Right, I was looking at a broader perspective. Not to put too fine a point on it: if we (all of us, as in: humanity) would not eat meat, we'd avoid a lot of disease including this one.
I don't eat veggies at all, well, I do enjoy Pinto Beans and Black eyed peas.
but I hate String Beans, cauliflower, squash,

corn on the cob? that is goooood food. :)

I eat a lot of cereals, shredded wheat is my favorite, grits, oatmeal come close.
I have a 5 lb bucket of grits on my dinner table, just a scoop and water and pop in the microwave, ummm, good.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have a 5 lb bucket of grits on my dinner table, just a scoop and water and pop in the microwave, ummm, good.
So THATS where i left my wallpaper paste...lol...just teasing you AZg...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

it's time to stop CHINA from exporting viruses. this is not the first time they managed to infect the world yet the WHO (world health organization) does nothing about it but let China do whatever it wants. when the world is infected we need to invade this country together as a planet and proclaim our right to live a virus free life.
The USA pays BILLIONS towards WHO and China barely hundreds of thousands, what the hell is a world organization good for if not to organize the world in time of crisis

so efing ridiculous now i don't have toilet paper or sanitizer or a f#cking mask to protect myself because all this crap came from China and now retailers are stealing these for themselves? i work for maintenance and our maintenance supplier has no masks?

i did finally find a bottle of Everclear 60% which i will use with Aloe Vera, they say 60% is the minimum can be used. i see some gas stations selling hand sanitizer for $10.00 and i ask each of them what the active ingredient is, they look at me like i'm an idiot. you mean you're selling this stuff and gouging prices and have no clue what you're selling? i almost called the police, but did buy a bottle because at least no one bought this stuff, and turned out to be very strong sanitizer with 70% percent isopropyl alcohol so it was a good day for me.

on a side note, what in the crap is going on with google, they don't have isopropyl in their dictionary?
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 am
you need to realize there is a fine balance between eating and surviving. you mean to say the the planet food chain needs to be vegan? sure tell that to a lion that can't digest plants. sure we could live with no meat but who's going to feed the world with farming? who's going to work the fields and prepare this food. where are you going to store all these vegetables?
yes the human animal can now mostly live off plant based products, but the balance will be broken if we all go vegan today.
what do we do with all the animals we have in our farms? do we let them free in the city or in the forests?
it's fine for a city dweller to say we don't need meat, but what about that family on a remote farm no where near a grocery store, or indigenous people in tribes not known by the world

i find it insulting anytime someone mentions the word vegan and yet i see them with a leather purse or leather car seats and a fine alligator skin wallet
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:01 am
you mean to say the the planet food chain needs to be vegan?
No. I mean to say that if people would not eat meat, we'd avoid a lot of disease including this one.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all, I hope that you are all keeping safe and well.

I made a post in this thread a few days ago, but it disappeared. So I will make another attempt.

Here in the UK we have been in lock down for about 4 or 5 weeks, and hopefully it is going to work. There is much being said on TV and in the press about loosening the lock down so that people can get back to work, as the lock down is harmful to the economy and the longer it goes on the harder it will hit. That is a fact that cannot be disputed, but what can be disputed is how and when, and that gives me personally a major problem.

It is being suggested that young people should be able to return to work with the assumption that if they get it then they would simple get a mild version of Covid 19 and would suffer little consequences. Here in the UK most young people still live at home with their parents, so although they might not suffer too much, they would pass it on to poor old mum and dad who probably would suffer much worse. You cannot self isolate in the normal sized home here as they are simply too small. Most only have a single toilet/bathroom and only one kitchen. So letting young people out to work is a huge risk.

It is hard for this old mind (81 years) to see any point in easing the lock down until there are no new admissions to hospital for three weeks. One week for incubation and two weeks to either live or die. As long as people are still being admitted to hospital with Covid 19 then there are even more people out there with it, and the circle will start all over again.

I would rather be alive and well in a years time and poorer than to be dead. If I choose to die then it will be on my terms, I will pick a time and place. A handful of tablets lying comfortably in my own bed.

I have made a promise to myself that I will not purchase anything that has been made by the country in question. I expect the tree hugging love everybody brigade will say you can’t do that as you would penalise the people of the country and they had nothing to do with it. Well they did and if the only way to push home a message that the world as a whole is fuming at their government for once again giving us a virus, and it is not the first time. The world has suffered deaths as seen in major conflicts and been forced into recession that will effect the world for years to come, while the instigators of this problem is apparently doing OK.

Who do you believe for information on Covid 19. Well not anything you read in the press (all newspapers) and certainly nothing you see on TV, in particular the BBC, as they all have an agenda.

I now watch the daily briefing on TV from our elected government. They speak with science behind them, and after our main man’s recent foray into Covid 19 they all want to survive and take the rest of us along with them as they all have a life to loose if we do not pull together.

Stay SAFE

Best regard Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all, again.

I had no intention of making another post in this thread, but it annoys me no end that this bloody vegan nonsense is brought into it.

We are told that we should stop eating meat, why?. We are also told by the same vegans that cows fart too much and are polluting the air. The reasons that they fart is that their diet is vegetable matter and is hard to digest (remember this). Get rid of them we are told and the worlds air will be better. Where does this nonsense lead to. We have now got rid of farting cows and now high on our own sense of righteousness, logic says that we now have to carry on with the madness. Sheep, goats etc will all have to go. Why stop there lets get rid of all the animals that eat vegetable matter. Gone are the elephants, the rhinos, the hippos the buffaloes and even the lovely koalas, (you can't show favouritism here in their simplistic world), and every other animal we now designate as a farter.

We sit back and gleefully look at our achievement. Suddenly we find that because we got rid of the farters we have also got rid of all the meat eaters like the lion, the tiger and the leopard as they have starved to death as we have killed all of their bloody food.

Now we are left with no animals, but at least we have the vegan speciality of vegetables. Now remember who was eating vegetable matter, yes you have got it right, it was the cows, and now there is just us, and because we are eating the same food that the cows ate we should now promptly get rid of ourselves, as we will be farting like good uns. There you are problem solved. Clean air. Long live vegan-ism.

Best regards Keith
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

tinca wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:35 pm
We are told that we should stop eating meat, why?.
Please note that I said no such thing.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:53 pm
Please note that I said no such thing.
no need to worries, i say for myself i know what you meant. we should however NOT EAT animals that carry wide varieties of deadly diseases like rabies from dogs, bats, raccoons etc. but people eat monkeys where there is no food to eat so i can't blame them for trying to feed their family.
Last edited by trytip on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open chat”