Corona virus (COVID-19)

Chat about just about anything else
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by lsemmens »

Time was when old newsprint was all you needed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it's getting kinda silly now:
https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... f9b446c2ca

then there was an fight:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-08/ ... s/12037046
where they both were then issued court attendance notices for affray.

all the supermarkets, in the town(s), on either side of this village - have run out.
:?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deck_luck »

Pierre, will bidets become the next Aussie hysterical hoard item? :lol:
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

most probably - - there is an quite large thread, that still running on another Big Aussie Forum,
- - started a few years ago, by some guy that had visited Japan & admired their standard of cleanliness.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

punkbiscuit
Level 2
Level 2

Post by punkbiscuit »

Toilet paper ?
I thought that was the job of most PC user mags these days (it's all they are fit for really). :D

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

murray wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 pm
My partner pointed out that even if there was no more toilet paper, would that be the end of the world? Couldn't we simply use a wet towel or a sponge on a stick like the Romans used to use?
Exactly. My personal repertoire from experience (i've 'lived' and 'adventured' quite a bit around the world, poor and rich!) includes 'leaves' (just make sure they have no barbs and are not poisonous etc), 'moss', 'grasses', 'small running streams', 'newspaper/magazines'; with all these methods you just pay a little extra attention to hand washing, which in covid-19 times we should all be doing now anyway.

Still as an exercise in using social media for black-ops miss-information, Russia has shown how effective it can be.
thx-1138 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:15 pm
Too late for tears i'm afraid. We're officially doomed.
No s*it paper will be available in a few days. I predict riots in the streets due to such eventually...
I 'think' your post was part in jest? But if not, i just wanted to say even if we had a full blown pandemic, covid-19 is not fatal enough to 'doom' the human race alone. We can get through this, by showing solidarity for one another and not allowing panic to pull everything down. If we keep it together for a few more months it is likely it will burn itself out and then we can rebuild the damage done. Where there is life there is hope my friend :)

Still these are testing times and it is not over yet, as per this BBC article on Italy's unfolding tragedy:

'Coronavirus: Northern Italy quarantines 16 million people':

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

In relation to the 'crazy' in OZ (the toilet paper fight etc), just keep in mind it has been a tough period for many people there, like just a week ago many peoples lives were going up in flames! So i expect the sequence of disasters has frayed peoples nerves quite a bit. Stay calm and stay safe people.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Just a casual observation: it seems as though the COVID-19 situation is getting worse, and is getting near the point of snowballing here in the U.S. Moreover, I don't believe we have an Administration which can handle a legitimate crisis, with now multiple reports of officials having to tread very carefully and watch what they say around President Trump, lest they upset him and take a chance of being fired or forced to resign.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Just pay attention to the basics; hand washing (and general antibacterial usage on items and surfaces you touch often etc), avoiding large crowds and staying as far away as possible from people that show symptoms etc.

I agree the USA is set up for the perfect storm (Trump as President and general attitudes to work etc). Stay safe my friend but you don't need a years worth of TP! (just in case you feel you do!) ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

A gentle reminder to keep this discussion away from the political, so we can keep this thread open. Thanks for your consideration!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Portreve wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 am
Just a casual observation: it seems as though the COVID-19 situation is getting worse, and is getting near the point of snowballing here in the U.S. Moreover, I don't believe we have an Administration which can handle a legitimate crisis, with now multiple reports of officials having to tread very carefully and watch what they say around President Trump, lest they upset him and take a chance of being fired or forced to resign.
Moem wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:20 am
A gentle reminder to keep this discussion away from the political, so we can keep this thread open. Thanks for your consideration!
Thank you Moem - comments like above are not insightful let alone factual but simply a political opinion of one side of the political spectrum and not appropriate in a technical forum. Go to the one of the Left or Right leaning internet sights to post your political rants.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

One thing which is related to Corona virus, is the question, how many days you can survive without help from other people if you are into quarantine?

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

kukamuumuka wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:42 pm
One thing which is related to Corona virus, is the question, how many days you can survive without help from other people if you are into quarantine?
Of course neighbours, friends or family will need to help with doing the groceries etc. Otherwise the emergency services will need to deliver those to the door.

Can be done quite easily: the person in quarantine can pay by means of internet banking.

I think a more immediate problem might be the loneliness for quarantined people who live alone. Loneliness can drive people mad, especially if they're already unbalanced.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:47 pm
Of course neighbours, friends or family will need to help with doing the groceries etc. Otherwise the emergency services will need to deliver those to the door.
That is a normal scenario, but if you live far from cities, you need to survive yourself.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

majpooper wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:25 pm
Portreve wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 am
Moem wrote:
Thank you Moem - comments like above are not insightful let alone factual but simply a political opinion of one side of the political spectrum and not appropriate in a technical forum. Go to the one of the Left or Right leaning internet sights to post your political rants.
Ok just so it is clear if it was not Trump in power in the USA (looking like being one of the next countries where this might take off like wildfire), but....(who was he up against on the other side?) whomever a Democrat candidate would have been, i would have said exactly the same thing.

Covid-19 is a virus, it is NOT political, but if we are being run by incompetents in relation to the outbreak, i feel it fair comment to call it as it is. Frankly looking at the contribution to this thread i find it absurd in the extreme to think any of this has a political bias (left or right). The west's response in general has simply been lacking compared to what China did imho.

Having said that i'm sorry if some people misinterpreted my post. This topic is so beyond politics it needs to stay open, so i will erm use 'pet names' in place of real people in future to sooth sensitive types :)

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Moem wrote:
I'm sure that every virus and bacterium is fundamentally politically correct: everyone * can die from it ...

*LBGTQ+++ & + - and what else will be invented tomorrow... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

ZakGordon wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:15 pm
This topic is so beyond politics it needs to stay open, so i will erm use 'pet names' in place of real people in future to sooth sensitive types :)
That's not the point. The point is that politics, as a topic, is off limits on this forum, as per the rules. I'm sure this isn't news to you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Moem wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:00 pm
That's not the point. The point is that politics, as a topic, is off limits on this forum, as per the rules. I'm sure this isn't news to you.
Roger :)
murray wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 pm
And now Italy goes into full lockdown
Yeah. I think if we see the kind of situation they had there repeat in other western countries we might all end up doing the same. Covid-19 IS nasty, it can crash your economy and break your healthcare, we underestimate it at our peril imho.

My thoughts are with those that have been at the sharp end of it, don't read details about that if you are of faint disposition! :(

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

This Twitter thread (20 messages) from a doctor in Northern Italy (Bergamo) doesn't bode much good for us:
https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/12 ... 8654896129
(click on "Show This Collection" in order to see all messages in the thread)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

In China Corona can be controlled, because there the system is stronger than people. In Europe Corona will be difficult to stop, because we are more independent and states cannot control us.

Return to “Open chat”