Hacking, cracking, and computer intrusion in movies

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Hacking, cracking, and computer intrusion in movies

Post by Termy »

Petermint wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm ...
My Bluetooth headset has a blue light on it — should I be concerned that they're hacking my brain? :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Petermint wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm To crack a password faster than a Quantum computer, the device has to have a blue LED. Anything with blue LEDs is from the future or a distant galaxy where hacking our stuff is easy. If it has a blue LED at the bottom, it can also ignore gravity and float, removing the need to buy a desk.

The strange thing is, my USB disk with the blue LED is only as fast as the other disks. It makes me question the use of blue LEDs in American movies.
LOL! I had forgotten the Blue LED thing.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Termy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:23 am
Petermint wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm ...
My Bluetooth headset has a blue light on it — should I be concerned that they're hacking my brain? :lol:
No, don't worry about it. The damage is already done. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

Petermint wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm To crack a password faster than a Quantum computer, the device has to have a blue LED. Anything with blue LEDs is from the future or a distant galaxy where hacking our stuff is easy. If it has a blue LED at the bottom, it can also ignore gravity and float, removing the need to buy a desk.

The strange thing is, my USB disk with the blue LED is only as fast as the other disks. It makes me question the use of blue LEDs in American movies.

My 12 years old laptop has a blue/orange LED on a hardware Wifi/Bluetooth switch. I can imagine somebody seeing it in the store back in 2008 and thinking I need this. This is the future. I'm gonna be a HACKA. And now people are like: No RGB LEDs on everything? What a lame a** office equipment. It's almost like all beige computers from the 90's for them.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just noticed that my new modem/router all have Blue LEDs on them. The takeover is complete.....
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

From the beginning time(?) we have been brainwashed that blue is for boy and pink is for girls. AFAIK this is a global phenomenon. Pick your own inane gender reveal party on YouTube.
Has anyone seen a pink LED?
Would a pink LED signify end of times?
Or no need keep males for species reproduction?
California condors apparently don't need a male partner.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180978983/
The article doesn't say what colored lights they were raised under.
If I see a sci-fi movie with pink LEDs it'll probably have no, or just a minor male role in it.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Pink for girls is an American invention. All western babies wore white. In 1920s, American department stores invented pink for boys, pale blue for girls. In the 1940s, the colours were reversed to match what adults were buying at the time. In the mysandristic world of fashion, men were only allowed to wear white or blue shirts. That restriction was dumped on baby boys.

IBM invented the first computer based use of pink. There were red warning lights and red messages. Protanopes cannot see red. IBM added some green and blue to red to make the red visible to everyone. Ta Dah! They created pink warning lights. There are pinkish red LEDs and traffic lights.

Monsters and robots from space have pure red leds in their eye socket/sockets/strips. I have not worked that one out. It makes them so visible, anyone can shoot them. How could an alien invasion like that survive the first night time battle where farmer Joe picks them all off with an ancient .30-06?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

farkas wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:06 am Has anyone seen a pink LED?
Of course.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Well, what can I say except ‘bye’.

Ten minutes ago my multi-media centre – Betamax video with 8 track sound – crashed. Then it sprang back into life with AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

It was an apology and a warning. Our Governments - yep, all of them – are very sorry, but IT’S happened.

A top secret machine – colour of LED’s not disclosed - has escaped and soon we will all have ‘clean’ minds.

‘DO NOT PANIC’. ‘Shut all windows and doors. DO NOT venture outside’. They pleaded.

Then there was a strange noise and my screen blanked for about 10 seconds before returning. The presenter had a beatific smile and was singing ‘tra la la lally, tra la la loo’. The message on the screen said ‘BLISS’.

The BBC have posted this report. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-60084347
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I love watching Anime where the hacker is pounding away at the keyboard and in seconds has completely cracked the strongest encryption/firewall/security and have complete access to a system. Same with computer based movies. So fast with lots of key pounding..... :)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:15 am [...]
The harder you pound the keyboard, the more hacking power you have — obviously. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I think some people here are exaggerating. Pounding the keyboard. Huh? As if pounding would help.

It is the bad rendition of classical music that cracks the code. :idea:
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

in reality , hacking can be very time consuming. We had penetration testing done at work, it took them almost a week to make significant progress. That would have been kinda boring for a movie.. :mrgreen:
(The lesson from last test we had - protect those admin accounts!)
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

A week? Have to make that a 12 show series. At the end, the computer blows up, taking out everyone except for the gorgeous hacker who saves Madam president and becomes her lover. In series 2...
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

ivar wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:08 am in reality , hacking can be very time consuming. We had penetration testing done at work, it took them almost a week to make significant progress. That would have been kinda boring for a movie.. :mrgreen:
Which is the problem Mr Robot had. Realism was fine to a point, but they had a TV series to make. Cue a bunch of python scripts that the characters spent weeks/months preparing, and we get to see it execute after they used ssh to get access.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Old movie: "Use a "G" Cypher"- as they hack into Yoyodyne Propulsion systems- Buckaroo Banzai, Across the 8th Dimension.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Watching a K-Drama: Cafe Minamdang, where one of the main persons is a hacker who lives in a totally wrecked room, eats junk food, and is able to break into the hardest computers in no time at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Minamdang It is funny. Also in Vincenzo (K-drama) the female hacker can break into anything with ease. I think they have Linux running on her MSI laptop. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincenzo_(TV_series) Lots of MSI product placement.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

I like the intrusion in the Matrix movies. They break in then watch that green screen rainfall. A really useful display when you want to find account numbers.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I forgot, in Cafe Minamdang the hacker also has terrible personal hygiene and that is one of the plot points, when her brother comes in and has to use a gas mask to go into her room.

Return to “Open Chat”