A Very Strange Dream...

Chat about just about anything else
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

A Very Strange Dream...

Post by Portreve »

The human mind is truly a complex organ.

I guess the reason I'm posting this here is to kind of get it off my chest, and to see if anyone can make sense of it.

In the dream, I've evidently asked for (or possibly contracted) a boat to be built.

Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) is the architect and ship builder, building what appears to be a miniature of the boat, and building it using what appears to be parts from an Erector Set (though the finished product, or at least the finished portions of the project) are clearly a normal-looking boat.

It seems as though I've sought to have built a standard-ish kind of boat, the type you'd easily find at just about any marina. However, there's another portion of the boat which is this catamaran-hulled thing that fits over and around the boat mentioned above.

Adding to all of this, there's a group of guys helping Roger build it, and all of them (including Roger) speak in Spanish when they're talking to each other.

None of this makes any sense to me because:

1. Roger Waters is a song writer and musician, not a shipwright. I don't even know if he's into sailing.
2. I'm not into sailing. The last time I was on a boat, I was about 12 and it was one owned by a friend of my grandmother's.
3. I don't speak Spanish.

The dream was neither scary nor funny.

Any thoughts, folks?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Re: A Very Strange Dream...

Post by asinoro »

Often dreams are triggered by what we have seen, hear, even eating, of course there are many strange dreams and feelings, above all the ones they become real in the future!
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

my dreams seem to be triggered by material in the books that I have been reading.

really deep detective stories, I had to back off of, as they reminded me of an ex-son-in-law who ripped me off big time, and I prosecuted him and sent him to prison.....

weird dreams that were really screwed up while reading those books.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Regarding Spanish, I find that difficult to believe since you live in Florida. I'm neither English or Spanish speaker and yet I've found out striking language similarities because, just from knowing a bit of English, once I decided I wanted to be able to read a particular book which was, incidentally, available to me in Spanish, in 3-4 weeks, the contents of the book started unrolling. I still have difficult time with irregular verbs, true that, but macho, no me digas tonterias que no entiendes Espanol... :mrgreen:

The rest of it could mean that you wish to escape something and even if it is not yet in a form of a fully elaborate plan, you're hoping that some stranger(s) will help you to pull it through.

Cheers :wink:
Kadaitcha Man
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:00 am
The dream was neither scary nor funny.
The kadaitcha knows.

You have a growing desire to travel, and change career.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

You want to build an ark to avoid the impending disaster.
Cliff Coggin
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Dreams seem to be largely associative, and one's associations can make little sense to anyone else.

Were I to interpret the narrative for myself, Roger Waters would hark back to late/post-adolescence, where future is supposed to take shape but generally in fact fails to do so (certainly ever after say 1950 or so I believe). His lyrics tend to be somewhat whiny, complainy, accusatory; something which I myself associate with that period in life; with some at least slight existential anxiety I suppose. An Erector set I had to google but were I to in my case equate that to e.g. Lego Technik that would in stark contrast loop me back to childhood; specifically to clear goals; to the construct of well-defined outcomes in a still creatively/intellectually satisfying manner.

If I combine with what I read about your job situation --- and the mere fact that you felt a need to get it off your chest in the first place --- then I would if the above paragraph does not make no sense to you, feel you might be experiencing or re-experiencing similar existential anxiety; are looking to return to clear, well-defined goals but am finding that when you try, you do not in fact currently understand Spanish; have found your former skills, Erector, to no longer suffice to get to that place of well-definedness.

As said; associations are quite personal so I've might only told you something about me in the above. But since you asked.

N.B. "Learnining Spanish" might be an obvious thing to take away...
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

ColdBootII wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:45 am
Regarding Spanish, I find that difficult to believe since you live in Florida.
The influx/migration of the Hispanic population across all of Florida is something which has happened during the years I've lived here. During the 1980s, the area I live in was almost totally white/non-hispanic. There simply was never an impetus for me to learn it.

The demographics in this area radically changed once we were in the 1990s.
The rest of it could mean that you wish to escape something and even if it is not yet in a form of a fully elaborate plan, you're hoping that some stranger(s) will help you to pull it through.

Cheers :wink:
It's certainly possible.

— Voltaire
dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Hi Portreve

I was a bit surprised when you linked Mr Waters to 'sailing', as I thought :lol: Rod Stewart :lol: would be a far more logical https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOt3oQ_k008 if much less tasteful solution. Terrible song - for someone who started so promisingly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRdv0bDKTg

To me, dreams are our unconscious mind tying up loose ends, that may be a day old, a week old, or years old. Dreams are a healthy way of 'dealing with stuff'.

Celebrate.

Jon.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

It was in 2017.I woke up and saw my cat in the room.Soon I remembered that my cat had already died three years ago.I was scared and woke up for real :D
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:24 pm
It was in 2017.I woke up and saw my cat in the room.Soon I remembered that my cat had already died three years ago.I was scared and woke up for real :D
As someone who is presently owned by a cat, the obvious moral of this story: never make your cat angry. :lol:

rene wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:53 am
Dreams seem to be largely associative, and one's associations can make little sense to anyone else.

Were I to interpret the narrative for myself, Roger Waters would hark back to late/post-adolescence, where future is supposed to take shape but generally in fact fails to do so (certainly ever after say 1950 or so I believe). His lyrics tend to be somewhat whiny, complainy, accusatory; something which I myself associate with that period in life; with some at least slight existential anxiety I suppose. An Erector set I had to google but were I to in my case equate that to e.g. Lego Technik that would in stark contrast loop me back to childhood; specifically to clear goals; to the construct of well-defined outcomes in a still creatively/intellectually satisfying manner.

If I combine with what I read about your job situation --- and the mere fact that you felt a need to get it off your chest in the first place --- then I would if the above paragraph does not make no sense to you, feel you might be experiencing or re-experiencing similar existential anxiety; are looking to return to clear, well-defined goals but am finding that when you try, you do not in fact currently understand Spanish; have found your former skills, Erector, to no longer suffice to get to that place of well-definedness.

As said; associations are quite personal so I've might only told you something about me in the above. But since you asked.

N.B. "Learnining Spanish" might be an obvious thing to take away...
So, a few other things:

1. I've never touched an Erector Set

2. I desperately want to have a career instead of simply a string of bill-paying but otherwise pointless dead-end jobs

3. Pink Floyd's last album, which it must be stated had nothing in it directly related to Roger Waters, is very nautical-related, but it's a metaphorical reference to sailing upon the river Stix to leave this life.

— Voltaire
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Hi Portreve

Are you still learning german? Maybe you stumbled across this sentence:

"Das kommt mir spanisch vor."

= That sounds like Spanish to me. (usually meant to indicate something is fishy / strange / suspicious)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_kommt ... anisch_vor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_to_me
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:41 pm
2. I desperately want to have a career instead of simply a string of bill-paying but otherwise pointless dead-end jobs
Indeed I had noticed that you were "learning Spanish".
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SMG »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:41 pm
3. Pink Floyd's last album, which it must be stated had nothing in it directly related to Roger Waters, is very nautical-related, but it's a metaphorical reference to sailing upon the river Stix to leave this life.
Sort of like you are trying to leave the life of having a string of bill-paying jobs and moving on to a life with a career?

Dreams are often a way of our subconscious trying to work out something that's been on our minds while waking. I find it interesting that you mention a covering over the boat as if you want something that looks a bit difference from what is standard. Substitute career for boat as you see a career as a way to carry you to a new destination (I presume) in life just like a boat conveys people and things from one location to another. But you don't really want the same-old same-old that you see others have (standard boat that fits in the marina).

The fact you don't speak Spanish, but it was the main language in the dream may just be a representation of your frustration in not knowing the lingo of your desired career.

I was going to make a comment about Roger Waters being in the news the past few days and that might have triggered him in the dream, but then I noticed the date on your original post. So his appearance in the dream may be more related to what you might have been doing or thinking in the stage of you life when he might have appeared. For example, I had a dream a couple of years ago that featured several high school classmates. High school was many, many years ago for me, but high school was a time of transition for me and I was in a time of transition at the time of the dream.

Just a few thoughts that might or might not give you some :idea: :idea: .
LM20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”