what are the Most Used keys on our keyboards?

Chat about just about anything else
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

what are the Most Used keys on our keyboards?

Post by AZgl1500 »

there are 3 of them that are heavily used for sure.

A, S, N

My laptop is just 15 months old, and yes, it gets used daily, a lot...

I got this specifically because it has a Lighted Kybd, very important to old and tired eyes, and when the office is a Recliner and someone turned out all the lights and went to bed. :(

The letter 'N' disappeared first, took about 6 months for it to disappear.
later I noticed the A, and S keys looking tired....

I try to keep my finger nails clipped short, but still, they drag across the keys a lot....
I have been a touch typist since I was about 14 years old, by nature of a teacher in my school who carried a yard stick and took great delight in wrapping it across your knuckles if she caught you lifting your hands off the kybd to see where a key is.

The ROYAL typewriter is what our school had in the typing classroom... In one school year, I went from zero to 40 wpm on that Royal..... later, about a year after graduation, I went into the service in Crypto School, and we used the ASR-28 and after six months on that thing, I was scoring 120+ wpm on our 5 minutes typing tests, no errors are allowed, period... if you made a mistake, you must mentally remember that keystroke, back up and hit the 'Letters' key which punched 5 dots in the paper tape.... 5 dots is an invalid as character, so it is ignored in Crypto messages....

oh, our typing tests were 5 character word groups, of random letters... not your regular sentences...
and I still made 120 wpm.... ah, the days of young brains, and being drilled into "this is what you will do" by the Drill Sargent.

On that ASR-28, the paper roller was disengaged in school, we were not allowed to see what we typed.
On the left side, is the paper punch, and we had to learn to "read it" just as fast as if we saw the text on paper....
when we finished a typing test, the tape was given to your partner beside you, and run thru that Paper Puncher, when in READ MODE it would make the paper roller print, we had to verify the accuracy of the message.

ROYAL TYPEWRITER

ASR-28 TELETYPER MACHINE
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: what are the Most Used keys on our keyboards?

Post by smurphos »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 am
The letter 'N' disappeared first, took about 6 months for it to disappear.
later I noticed the A, and S keys looking tired....
On my cheap £5.99 keyboard I and O are gone entirely, as is strangely > (but not the period underneath it)

P, S, C, N, M, and L are all on there way to oblivion.

I think I've got acidic finger sweat and I only bought it about 9 months ago. :roll:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

MS natural keyboard, three years old and the only obvious sign of wear is a shiny left space bar (cos I'm left handed). Learnt to touch type in the '80s, old DOS program called iankey.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

I am very disappointed in the keyboard for a $1,000 laptop.

the letters are just painted overlays on the key tops.
My Gamer's kybd that I bought for the old Win7 Desktop has the letters imprinted deeply into the keys.
none of them have faded out and it is going on 10 years old now.

if it gets bad enough, that my fingers forget where to press, I supposed some label tape will fix them up.
I darned sure am not going to try and replace this kybd, it is the first thing installed, and they overlaid the motherboard over that.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Some times, it's necessary to switch things up a bit in one's life.

I've been using Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard for the past ten years. Other than the normal signs of wear (shiny spots, basically) you would never know it was in use for a while. I really like that Keyboard. However, as a bigger frame sort of guy (I'm 1.91 m / 6'3"), it isn't as comfortable as it could be, so I decided to get Logitech's new ergonomic keyboard.

I love everything about it except for the fact that it's not Illuminated. It's a little awkward when trying to type in bbcode, but that's only because sometimes you have to reach over to the opposite side of the keyboard.

As for built-in laptop keyboards, I've yet to find one that's nicer (in the sense of build quality) than Apple's MBP ones.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

I have two of those Logitech's Illuminated Keyboards back when all of my PCs were desktops.
they came with a bluetooth mouse.

now that I am Retired and living the lean back life in a Recliner, laptops are much better for me.

My favorite mouse, is the LogiTech M-510
must have 5 of them around the house.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

I forget which model it is, but my favorite mouse (and I've owned 10 or 15 over the decades) is my current daily driver. It's wired, it's a laser mouse, and it has a weighted scroll wheel that when taken out of ratchet mode, spins forever if you give it a good flick. It's a Logitech, and it's got some real weight to it, which I like.

I've owned a second or third iteration (Macintosh Plus era) serial Apple mouse, their first generation ADB mouse, their second generation (much more rounded) ADB mouse, a Logitech 3 button ADB mouse, a Kensington 4 button ADB mouse, a Microsoft sort of curved ergonomic-ish PS/2 mouse, a Microsoft optical USB mouse (with the glowing red tail light), an Apple clear case/white interior USB mouse, a couple Dell re-branded mice, a Microsoft wireless laptop laser mouse, an Apple Bluetooth Magic Mouse (which was kind of cool, but was better in concept than in reality), a Microsoft wireless laser mouse, a Logitech basic corded laser mouse, their more high end cordless mouse with a weighted scroll wheel², and my current one as mentioned above.

The thing I've found about wireless mice, whether old school 49 MHz or the newer GHz range or Bluetooth, is they are very susceptible to RF interference. Back when I had a server set up and I would be moving files over my wireless network to our from it, every wireless mouse I tried at that time would become almost useless.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

it is difficult to write 40 wpm on a typewriter like that. much respect to you, sir.

even on the ibm selectric ii, which struggled to keep up with me, i don't know if i averaged 40 wpm. it was always a question of watching the typewriter finish typing a sentence after i stopped typing. just watching that ball jerk around and rattle against the page, felt cool, but i would wonder if it was actually picking everything up. it did, making it one hell of a typewriter. no wonder i found it in my newsroom closet.

typewriters are lovely. keyboards in general are the most important aspect of a computer experience for me, which is why i bought one of the old thinkpads with the very nice keyboards (and nice build quality overall). for $140 I got a faster computer than they sell at retail, with an amazing keyboard, and everything else.

a good mechanical keyboard is indistinguishable from the ibm selectric ii keyboard, i have noticed.

to answer your question, my most used keys are actually hardware buttons, for volume. second to that, my most used key is probably the -- *looks at scrabble gameboard* E key
19.3 Cinnamon
I am out there
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

jameskga wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:52 am
it is difficult to write 40 wpm on a typewriter like that. much respect to you, sir.

even on the ibm selectric ii, which struggled to keep up with me, i don't know if i averaged 40 wpm. it was always a question of watching the typewriter finish typing a sentence after i stopped typing. just watching that ball jerk around and rattle against the page, felt cool, but i would wonder if it was actually picking everything up. it did, making it one hell of a typewriter. no wonder i found it in my newsroom closet.

typewriters are lovely. keyboards in general are the most important aspect of a computer experience for me, which is why i bought one of the old thinkpads with the very nice keyboards (and nice build quality overall). for $140 I got a faster computer than they sell at retail, with an amazing keyboard, and everything else.

a good mechanical keyboard is indistinguishable from the ibm selectric ii keyboard, i have noticed.

to answer your question, my most used keys are actually hardware buttons, for volume. second to that, my most used key is probably the -- *looks at scrabble gameboard* E key
thank you sir, for me, it was the " I will beat this thing into submission " ....
in high school, the teacher required that we sit at the same seat, with the same exact Royal typewriter there every day. she said that gives you and the machine a sense of "togetherness"...

I found that watching the keys/bars was detrimental to speedy typing.
just keep your eyes on the content that you are reading, and ignore the machine.
Punch the keys down hard and straight, keep finger nails trimmed to the quick.

I never used an IBM Selectric, just never happened to be one where I worked.

I loved that old ASR-28 TeleType machine. It had the best keyboard on it that I have ever used, and that includes all keyboards made since then.... don't know what they did to that thing, but that keyboard almost sensed what you wanted to type.

my new laptop, has a plastic keyboard that feels clunky.... one of those mylar " no sense of feel " things. hate it. but, what can we do?

for my old Win7 desktop, I searched until I found a Hall Effect keyboard that is lighted.... now that I have said that, that is why the old ASR-28 was so good. If you managed to get a keystroke down more than 50% it was recorded as valid.... this allowed me to just fly across that thing....

my new Hall Effect kybd is no where near that good, it too, has the 'mylar' feel to it...
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

I like my MS natural keyboards, been using them for probably about 20 years. Latest is wireless but the feel is not as good as the original PS2 wired one I had. Your fingers just fall on the right keys.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I am no typist, so can only dream of the speeds to which you refer. My favourite keyboard was an old IBM keyboard I got with an IBM APTIVA back in the 90s I wore it out. Now I use what ever is at hand. If I must purchase one, I'll be looking for a backlit one that has a bit of weight in the keys, so you can, at least, "feel" them.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Post by deck_luck »

A sexy lady at one of my previous employers that very long finger nails, and I could always her the finger nail snaps when she typed.:lol: She had grooves worn in a number of her key caps.

Men do not have the finger nail wear as the ladies, but a keyboard protector can still be useful. Coffee spills can be nasty and the protector does a good job of keeping liquid out. :wink: In some laptops it is a pita to remove a keyboard for a thorough cleaning after a coffee spill.
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AZgl1500 »

deck_luck wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:57 am
A sexy lady at one of my previous employers that very long finger nails, and I could always her the finger nail snaps when she typed.:lol: She had grooves worn in a number of her key caps.

Men do not have the finger nail wear as the ladies, but a keyboard protector can still be useful. Coffee spills can be nasty and the protector does a good job of keeping liquid out. :wink: In some laptops it is a pita to remove a keyboard for a thorough cleaning after a coffee spill.
nearly impossible with this one, although I did it by taking pictures of every damn screw that I took out.

was an all day long job..... only reason I did it, was to install a Lighted Kybd..... and WTH?
the laptop was not configured to use a lighted kybd, pissed me off royally.

If I ever buy another laptop, the 1st requirement will be : the top comes off first, then the kybd.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”