how can i write windows 10 iso image to USB ?

Chat about just about anything else
Fires
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how can i write windows 10 iso image to USB ?

Post by Fires »

kuifje09 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 pm
I also had a lot of trouble making a bootable usb-stick with win-10.
Not bootable, or bootable and crippled content... and so on...
At last I used the MS supplied usb writer, which did work fine.
You get the option when you download win-10 for another system. as far I can remenber.
Do you have that Link

that would work Perfectly :)
kuifje09
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kuifje09 »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

This link led me through the whole procedure to get the image and create he usb-stick image.
It did work great, but it is long ago now, so I cannot gareantee it will still work....
The problem with the image is, it is not a standard iso image as we know...
I tryed a few ways to create the disc and the usb, but only the MS-way worked.
( maybe I am not smart enough )

And then! It wil only work if you have a legal version of the windows you use now.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

I realize the thread has gotten a little stale at this point, but it's Open Chat, so not a big deal, eh? Anyhoo, I've since learned two ways to burn a Win10 image to USB drive, so thought I'd post in case someone finds the thread by forum search.

Option 1 (Windows). Download Rufus. The portable will be fine, or can use the installed version. Select the Windows ISO. Select target. Not much point using a flash drive larger than 8 GB. Use defaults for everything else. Click Start. When it's done, you're good to go. FYI, Rufus also can be used for burning Mint ISOs in Windows. So can Etcher, of course, but if you try to burn a Windows ISO with Etcher, it suggests you try Rufus. :wink:

Option 2 (Linux). Turns out the trick to burning the Windows ISO is simple: it needs a boot flag set. Credit to Techspot. Now it's easy. With GParted, create a new partition table, msdos format (MBR). Again, not much point using a drive larger than 8 GB. Create a new partition; might as well use fat32 format (I did). Right-click and set boot flag. Open File Manager; navigate to ISO file; right-click and Extract Here; copy contents to flash drive. Done. The extracted files can be deleted (they're dupes of the ISO).

By the way, I didn't have any luck with WoeUSB, but can't exclude the possibility I overlooked something. Did notice later it was flagging the Windows partition lba (linear mode) rather than boot, so maybe that was the problem. Meanwhile, Windows' Media Creation Tool works fine, but AFAICT won't burn an ISO already on hand. Instead, insists on downloading again, a 4 GB download.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

pbear wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:04 pm
Meanwhile, Windows' Media Creation Tool works fine, but AFAICT won't burn an ISO already on hand. Instead, insists on downloading again, a 4 GB download.
I can see why they would do this. It enforces a genuine image, preventing people using a modified one. Not good for people on limited connections!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

Here is a way to do it: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=314678
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

pbear wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:49 am
BG405 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 pm
Wouldn't the Mint USB writer do the job? As far as I know it's a regular .ISO
I assumed so also. rene says no. I take his work for it. Special format, IIRC.
Bit late to this party but... Just done it in the last week and it sort of worked - win would boot from usb but wouldn't install (complained about missing drivers). Note same desktop would not boot a mint iso burnt to usb. Have installed win10 from usb (burnt using mint's usb image writer) to one of my laptops about six months back - no problems. Desktop was set to UEFI (MSI BIOS), laptop set to legacy (T430).

I think it does use a different format (UDF?), it's not ISO9660, but suspect the mint usb image writer is just using dd to copy the iso to the stick.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Open chat”