How do you handle being blocked by your favorite content creator?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
khaki45
Level 2
Level 2

How do you handle being blocked by your favorite content creator?

Post by khaki45 »

I've wanted to ask this question to people for a while. Its sort of a weird thing to think about, but I feel there needs to be more people asking and answering a question like this.

But take this scenario: You are interacting with a content creator you like on a social media website. You say something. They take what you say poorly, and block you. You meant no offence, but the likelihood of them caring is 0% considering how many people they might interact with. Maybe you were even a Patreon supporter.

How does one handle this situation in a mature manner? How would you handle a situation like that?

I tell you how I'd handle it, and maybe its not mature, I don't know, but I withdraw all support and avoid their content as much as possible. I want to get people's opinions because its not something I can find tips on so I can move on with my life. I want to know what people think is a healthy way to handle such a situation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How do you handle being blocked by your favorite content creator?

Post by Pierre »

most people would do something similar:
- withdraw any financial support & also state why .. they wouldn't expect any resolution, though.

but, to handle this situation in a mature manner?
- would be the reverse .. ask for an resolution, 1st, then act according, to any result.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

khaki45 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 pm I tell you how I'd handle it, and maybe its not mature, I don't know, but I withdraw all support and avoid their content as much as possible. I want to get people's opinions because its not something I can find tips on so I can move on with my life. I want to know what people think is a healthy way to handle such a situation.
You also did something else, and that something else is something that many businesses or service providers never, ever recognise or realise, and in today's world it can can have an enormous impact on them.

Setting the internet and social media aside, it is true that when someone has a poor experience with a service provider that the experiencer will tell, on average, seven others of their bad experience. It costs a service provider up to ten times as much money to attract a new customer than it does to keep an existing one. Consequently it is good for business to keep existing customers happy.

In today's environment, with the internet, review sites and social media, one can tell far more than seven people about a poor experience. All you need to do now is name the provider and your satisfaction at the outcome will be complete. More power to you.

However if you are going to give out a poor review, you should also make it a habit to give out good ones wherever they are warranted. I practice this in my daily life. If I have a good experience, in a store for example, I will always call the manager and give my compliments. More power to me because when I have a bad experience, I tell them what I just told you.
Last edited by Moonstone Man on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

This is a problem that social media just does not handle well. Just like with bad/misleading news headlines, it's almost impossible to change someone's mind once they've interpreted something that was said/viewed/written. I wish you luck in getting this resolved, but this is just another reason why I never use social media. Closest I got (in modern times) was Reddit - what a cesspool that's become! How I miss the old BBS days and FIDONET/USENET...
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

ajgringo619 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:47 pm How I miss the old BBS days and FIDONET/USENET...
Usenet is alive and kicking.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:49 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:47 pm How I miss the old BBS days and FIDONET/USENET...
Usenet is alive and kicking.
Thanks - I'll check it out.
khaki45
Level 2
Level 2

Post by khaki45 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:47 pm This is a problem that social media just does not handle well. Just like with bad/misleading news headlines, it's almost impossible to change someone's mind once they've interpreted something that was said/viewed/written. I wish you luck in getting this resolved, but this is just another reason why I never use social media. Closest I got (in modern times) was Reddit - what a cesspool that's become! How I miss the old BBS days and FIDONET/USENET...
Well the scenario I laid out isn't completely my own, I wouldn't give money to a content creator, because I have far more important things to use it for at the moment. But I have been blocked, and by creators that I liked and respected too. Its not like I was trying to be mean. But sometimes things can be misinterpreted. Text lacks tone, lacks body language, important cues to help one understand the full message. I've also realized that individual creators experiences can make them defensive. Although they will all claim they want your support and messages, if they have been harassed online before or had bad online experiences before, it can make them less tolerant or suspicious of comments.

I was worried I might seem petty. But I feel this is relevant considering how important the internet and social media is in our lives today. It stings when someone you respect, who's opinion you value, who you might get info from, picks you out specifically out from the crowd to be blocked.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

khaki45 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:06 am I was worried I might seem petty. But I feel this is relevant considering how important the internet and social media is in our lives today.
While I agree with you that the internet is important, I couldn't disagree more about social media. You don't seem petty at all, just frustrated that you weren't given the benefit of a doubt before being blocked. It's no different than someone being convicted of a crime 5 seconds after the arrest becomes public, evidence be damned.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 am While I agree with you that the internet is important, I couldn't disagree more about social media. You don't seem petty at all, just frustrated that you weren't given the benefit of a doubt before being blocked. It's no different than someone being convicted of a crime 5 seconds after the arrest becomes public, evidence be damned.
That's what prima donnas do.
khaki45
Level 2
Level 2

Post by khaki45 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 am
khaki45 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:06 am I was worried I might seem petty. But I feel this is relevant considering how important the internet and social media is in our lives today.
While I agree with you that the internet is important, I couldn't disagree more about social media.
I understand the disdain one might have for anything that could be termed social media, indeed Ive tried to curb my usage of it these days, thats why I am on this forum asking about this. However I don't think its all bad, I include youtube as a part of social media, and if not for that, I would never have found Linux or Linux Mint.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you need to prioritize real life and understand that in the event of a zombie apocalypse the internet and all it's glory would be dead and all those "friends" you have inside this "box" would mean absolutely squat

i have had my IP banned on quite a few forums because in conflict of interest and foot in mouth disorder from my part, but the other party were no angels either

how do i handle being blocked? i binge eat 5 gallons of ice cream while crying into my pillow for weeks and walk the lonely streets till 2 in the morning asking why, oh why has my forum forsaken me. :roll: <<< in case you didn't understand that's cheap sarcasm

in my defense i was banned for telling mods and admins to take that stick out their you know what, not offensive, not nice but certainly not means for being blocked.
Last edited by trytip on Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Shrug it off and move on to something else. There are infinitely more important things to worry about at the moment. The course of human history will not be changed because you annoyed one person.
Cliff Coggin
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

khaki45 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 pm How does one handle this situation in a mature manner?
Strange concern about this "mature manner" thing; what do you mean by that? Is stopping financial support and finding something else to read "mature" enough? That's what I'd do.
Roadpower
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roadpower »

I've been on the Internet since before there was HTML, as such and given my life experiences I have rhino skin. I also routinely do battle on other forums amongst trolls and ideologues of which I am a happy member, for me it is a daily amusement that has given me a great many laughs over the years. If I was supporting someone and they blocked me over some criticism I would not think twice about removing support and never returning to their forum. Blocking people over some dialogue tells me things about a person, chiefly that they don't need or want my support. That's fine and how it should be.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

khaki45 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 pm ....I want to know what people think is a healthy way to handle such a situation.
Don't dwell on it and move on. have you seen how many youtube channels there are, or twitch (not into that myself)? Look if you feel badly treated and you were paying someone money before that moment, you are entirely in your right to take your cash elsewhere.

I don't pay to see new sci-fi films anymore (as they are without fail 99% bound to be more than just a waste of my time and money), my cinema spending is about 0% and unlikely to change unless film production changes (ie not likely). That's cool, i save money and spend more time either re-watching the sci-fi shows i know are great, or trawling around for other older series i might have missed.

But yeah i don't dwell on the fact both Star Trek and Star Wars are insults to what inspired them and though i LOVE to moan about them at any given opportunity (like now!), i have accepted the facts and made sure i own all the best versions (not enhanced or digitally remastered with scenes like Han shooting after Greedo etc!) of those films to enjoy forever more. I'm not bitter, not upset.....at all ;)

So yeah relax enjoy your life and move on to find another content creator you like :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

khaki45 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 pm But take this scenario: You are interacting with a content creator you like on a social media website. You say something. They take what you say poorly, and block you. You meant no offence, but the likelihood of them caring is 0% considering how many people they might interact with. Maybe you were even a Patreon supporter.

How does one handle this situation in a mature manner? How would you handle a situation like that?
As an adult, I wouldn't go around saying stupid crap to people on the Internet in the first place, thereby obviating the need to "worry" after the fact. And I certainly don't go around, either IRL or online, writing "woe is me" posts trying to elicit sympathy from others to try and make myself feel better.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Mintedfake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintedfake »

Not my favourite site but my ISP is the British company BT and I receive a new IP address ever time that I switch on my computer. The problem is that some sites reject registrations from such IP addresses to try to block spammers. An example arose when I decided to make a donation to the writers of the excellent program calibre, which I use for managing my epubs. I went to the calibre site and saw that it had an associated forum https://www.mobileread.com/ which seemed to be interesting. I registered and made a first post, temporarily forgetting to make my donation. When I went back to look for replies, my post had vanished and my login was blocked. I tried to communicate with the site to explain the problem but never received a reply. They never received a donation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Portreve wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:02 am As an adult, I wouldn't go around saying stupid crap to people on the Internet in the first place, thereby obviating the need to "worry" after the fact.
he he he :D you should see my Yahoo comments which are nothing but trolling the writers and and never a useful interaction on my part unless of course there is a good written story which never happens. i do this because it amuses me and could careless how many dislikes i get, the more the merrier. i love yahoo simply because of the comments
Last edited by trytip on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
khaki45
Level 2
Level 2

Post by khaki45 »

As an adult, I wouldn't go around saying stupid crap to people on the Internet in the first place, thereby obviating the need to "worry" after the fact. And I certainly don't go around, either IRL or online, writing "woe is me" posts trying to elicit sympathy from others to try and make myself feel better.
This is the kind of response I figured I might get asking this question.

I am not asking for sympathy. I was asking for advice, I don't think that is wrong. And its not merely just about stupid stuff. Sometimes people you respect and admire, just don't like your opinions. Thank you for your thoughts.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

khaki45 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 pm Sometimes people you respect and admire, just don't like your opinions.
That's life unfortunately, and not unique to the internet.
Cliff Coggin

Return to “Open Chat”