What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Chat about just about anything else
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Post by kukamuumuka »

My strategy is simple:

1. Keep safety distance.
2. Avoid possible infected surfaces.
3. Use gloves, masks, etc., if needed.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Post by AZgl1500 »

Apply a generous helping of Hydrogen Peroxide around the house.
this stuff was invented to help prevent infection, and to cure open wounds during WWI

Put some in a spray bottle and use it on door knobs, counter tops, every where.
the only downside to it, is it will stain clothing if left on overnight....
I use it every day, and just rinse out my wash cloths.

I read a good link on that earlier yesterday, but did not keep it.

Far better than bleach, and a lot safer.

all that in addition to what you mentioned.

1 thing I recall, is that a half bottle in a bath tub, and a good hour's soak will kill every form of fungus among us.
Pun intended.

this link covers just about all approaches, and especially what not to use.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cleanin ... ronavirus/

hospitals are using it as a major factor in decontaminating N95 PPE
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... minate-n95
It will allow hospitals to decontaminate compatible N95 respirators using vaporized hydrogen peroxide sterilizers that are readily available in approximately 2,000 U.S. hospitals,” said FDA Commissioner Stephen M. Hahn, M.D. “It’s another important step forward in helping to reduce shortages in critical N95 respirators, by allowing for these important devices, when decontaminated, to be reused by health care personnel on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I stay home as much as I can and do not visit/receive visits. 1,5 meters is good, but more is better.
If we've been home for a day or two and nothing from the outside has entered our house, it's pretty safe to assume there are no intact virus particles in the house. After all, the longest they can stay intact on surfaces seems to be three days and that's on smooth surfaces and under ideal circumstances. So if I don't use the car for three days, it can be considered to be virus-free after that, and there is no need to sanitize it.

Handwashing is always good.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

A distant cousin of mine works doing support services work in a hospital in the Cleveland, Ohio area, and of course everyone there is doing their utmost, but he is complaining that with all the super-repetitive hand-washing, his skin is dried out and cracking, and it's painful (he's already got other joint issues, so this doesn't help him). He also takes care of another cousin of mine, who's in her 80s with numerous debilitating issues, so he's got to keep well away from her. All he does is call to let her know he's coming over, and so anything she needs to go out she leaves for him in a separate area (probably the garage) and that's likewise where he drops off any shopping he does for her.

These are definitely scary times.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

I don't have the link anymore, but on one of the cruise ships that debarked passengers in the Los Angeles, CA ports, there was reports of the hazmat crews detecting live virus cells 7 days after the passengers left.

I forget now what surface, but I am thinking the bathrooms probably because of their hard surface areas.
I'm going to do a fast search now..................

A high proportion of asymptomatic infections could partially explain the high attack rate among cruise ship passengers and crew. SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020)
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-cor ... -left.html

Code: Select all

CDC says coronavirus RNA found in Princess Cruise ship cabins up to 17 days after passengers left
I agree with Moem and we are practicing much the same.
When we receive freight from UPS or FedEx, we have the drivers leave it on the top of the black Trash Barrel in plain sunlight.... we figure that the heat from that will kill the virus by end-of-day.

My daughter is a Rural Mail Carrier, she makes sure the windows in the car are closed up tight, and with it sitting in plain sun, the virus should be dead within a few hours.... typically she will not drive it at all the 2nd or 3rd day waiting for the sun to do its' work.

Those extended virus survival rates are of course on inside surfaces in the dark...
High powered UV light can kill viruses also, but not many of us have anything like that.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:36 pm
A high proportion of asymptomatic infections could partially explain the high attack rate among cruise ship passengers and crew. SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020)
I don't see anywhere that the RNA that was detected was still intact (viruses aren't alive) and capable of infecting anyone. I'm going by the information from the study described here: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... 6709818100

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:02 am
I think that if you live in own house, disinfection is not so crucial, but if you live in block of flats, the problem is ventilation which operates on the vacuum principle, allowing the neighbor's gases to enter your apartment as well.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:36 pm
I don't see anywhere that the RNA that was detected was still intact (viruses aren't alive) and capable of infecting anyone. I'm going by the information from the study described here: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... 6709818100
it would be nice to have an official medical staff with precise proof of how many days covid-19 remains on unaltered surfaces. i too read the many reports of 17 days or 5 days some now say 2-3 days. who do we trust. i'm sure i can dig up another report saying otherwise. hard to say if this virus mutated yet and what it's life-span is now, the world health organization should have clear and decisive information devoid of any outside influence as a standard for others to follow or maybe they do but i'm not aware

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

kukamuumuka wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:54 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:02 am
I think that if you live in own house, disinfection is not so crucial, but if you live in block of flats, the problem is ventilation which operates on the vacuum principle, allowing the neighbor's gases to enter your apartment as well.
that is why I refuse to live under those conditions.

Hotels used to use central air, and I hated that as much as being in an Airplane.

my daughter is a Rural Mail Carrier, she goes to extreme lengths to keep the virus outside our home.
at 78, I am an "At risk" person for CV19.

she will not allow me off of our acreage, glad I have 6 acres of grass to mow, I need the diversion.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

trytip wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:09 pm

it would be nice to have an official medical staff with precise proof of how many days covid-19 remains on unaltered surfaces. i too read the many reports of 17 days or 5 days some now say 2-3 days. who do we trust. i'm sure i can dig up another report saying otherwise. hard to say if this virus mutated yet and what it's life-span is now, the world health organization should have clear and decisive information devoid of any outside influence as a standard for others to follow or maybe they do but i'm not aware
that is a real problem, we have no access to the details of how each study was conducted.

my daughter and I have talked about this to extreme lengths....
she is now leaving all non-liquid groceries in the bags sitting in the garage for a week before being brought into the house.

cold stuff goes into the garage Fridge for a week or 3 before being brought inside the house to the kitchen fridge.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote:
it would be nice to have an official medical staff with precise proof of how many days covid-19 remains on unaltered surfaces.
I agree. Here you go: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:25 pm
trytip wrote:
it would be nice to have an official medical staff with precise proof of how many days covid-19 remains on unaltered surfaces.
I agree. Here you go: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf
if you notice the date > 2020.03.09 i don't expect a doctor constantly updating a page on the internet and i don't expect a doctor wait 17 days before testing a surface, but in the background i'm sure there is testing going on.

it would totally suck if you washed your hands for 6 months, sanitized your car and wear proper PPE when interacting in public, not shaking hands or touch doors and handles just to contract covid-19 that one time when you let your guard down at the gas pump because you bought a beverage .

do people realize that covid-19 will never go away? when the world finally decides to open and all those infected with no symptoms come out of quarantine only to start another spreading of this virus and maybe stronger.

the world needs to be immunized and learn to live with this new reality

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

trytip wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:42 pm
do people realize that covid-19 will never go away? when the world finally decides to open and all those infected with no symptoms come out of quarantine only to start another spreading of this virus and maybe stronger.
That is true, but time and world is changed, because most of people does not want to join the game, if the options are

1. You get a mild flu or not any symptons at all
2. You have a flu for two to three weeks
3. You lose your ability to smell for unknown time
4. You lose 20 to 30% capasicy from your lungs
5. You get some visceral damage
6. You lose the game

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Scientists all over the world are working on vaccins; 70 of them are currenly being worked on. I see no reason to assume that this virus will be with us forever. And even if it is, the ability to get vaccinated will make a world of difference.

Some diseases can be eradicated
. It's a thing that happens sometimes. It happened with smallpox.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

The crucial factor is time. On a personal level, we need to avoid getting infected for as long as possible.

The time we buy, may save our lives: there's a huge effort going on to find effective medicines for treating Covid-19 infections, which can produce results much earlier than any vaccine can.

It'll last a year before the first vaccine can become available; effective medicines can become available much sooner (months?). So stay healthy as long as you can.

I use latex gloves when buying groceries and when filling up the car with petrol. I disinfect those, and the car surfaces that I've touched, with a 70 % solution of ethanol (ordinary "spiritus" or wood alcohol, that I've watered down a bit from its original 85 %).

Mouth caps can't be gotten anywhere; even the medical personnel has lack of those. Wonderful how well our society has prepared for something like this. :evil:

I try to avoid shops as much as I can; I positively hate going to the supermarket, because it's impossible to keep the required distance there, even during the quiet hours. The aisles simply aren't wide enough. I think supermarkets have become the number one infection risk.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:07 am
I use latex gloves when (...) filling up the car with petrol.
I can assure you that it's very nice not having to do that. Wobbly solar energy and EVs have their advantages. :wink:
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:07 am
Mouth caps can't be gotten anywhere
The rest of the world calls them masks, I think your Dutch is showing.
If you'd like some home made masks, PM me.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Several women in our little community of 1,200 souls are now sewing up homemade masks and giving them away.
a few of those have 5 layers of different materials, all are washable to reuse.

I have decided that my forays will be limited to the dimensions of our 6 acres of grass and trees.

My daughter is now doing most of our grocery shopping online, the other goods she puts in an order online for curb pickup.... that feature is now getting to be so popular there is now a 4 day waiting period to get a spot available for pickup.

Our local Walmarts here have stopped human register checkouts, and those folks are now working to fill up the carts for curb pickup.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

rjsrjs
Level 3
Level 3

The reality is:

Post by rjsrjs »

The reality is, that I will not be going to any restaurants, Disney, Amusement Parks, Parks ETC. Only to buy food when needed at night, if grocery stores are open, till a proven vaccine for covid-19 is out there to be distributed. Now that's the real reality.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: The reality is:

Post by Moem »

Good call. And now it is.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

rjsrjs wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 pm
The reality is, that I will not be going to any restaurants, Disney, Amusement Parks, Parks ETC. Only to buy food when needed at night, if grocery stores are open, till a proven vaccine for covid-19 is out there to be distributed. Now that's the real reality.
In Finland restaurants and Amusement Parks are closed, but some gyms are still open. :shock:

When need to buy food, better do only once a week and avoid rush hours. Of course what rarely, that better.

Return to “Open chat”