What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Chat about just about anything else
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:37 am
I see no reason to assume that this virus will be with us forever.
it'll be with us forever, just as somewhere someone can still contract polio. in future years covid-19 will be one of those added to the spectrum of viruses that can be killed with a vaccine and maybe even be included in a multi-vaccine.
this virus has to be cleansed completely off the whole planet, or destroyed slowly with vaccines and time

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

trytip wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:56 pm
it'll be with us forever, just as somewhere someone can still contract polio. in future years covid-19 will be one of those added to the spectrum of viruses that can be killed with a vaccine and maybe even be included in a multi-vaccine.
Yes, that's the most likely scenario, because of the rapid mutations in Corona viruses in general (Covid-19 is just one of them). That's the reason for the yearly jab for seasonal flu.

When a vaccine for Covid-19 becomes available, it'll probably end up being added to the mix of the yearly seasonal flu jab. That is, after the emergency Covid-19 vaccination for the entire population has taken place.... The yearly jab takes the new mutations of the known Corona strains into account.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redx87 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:33 am

I have decided that my forays will be limited to the dimensions of our 6 acres of grass and trees.
I'm doing the same here in Australia. I reckon these isolation restrictions are great if your a bit of loner, like I am. I'm not going anywhere. I'm 72 yrs old and live in a small rural town. My forays outside are only as far as my backyard workshop where I can happily spend my time counting all my nuts and bolts. This enforced isolation keeps the relatives away too, which is a bonus. I'm not missing having social contact with other people at all.

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Moem wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 pm
I don't see anywhere that the RNA that was detected was still intact (viruses aren't alive) ...
IMHO, the use of "live" is perfectly cromulent. In a strict, biological sense "live" may have a more restricted sense but in common language "live" also means "active". We talk about "live wires", "live CDs", "dead batteries", etc. which obviously do not meet the biological criteria of "life". So IMHO it is not wrong to say "live virus" to mean one still capable of phrucking up your life to the point of taking it.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

GS3 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 am
IMHO, the use of "live" is perfectly cromulent. In a strict, biological sense "live" may have a more restricted sense but in common language "live" also means "active".
I disagree. Calling viruses 'alive' or 'live' might give the impression that they can multiply or transport themselves (spread) without a host. Avoiding those terms helps make the differences between viruses and bacteria clearer, which also has consequences for how we should behave around them, in order to stay healthy and keep others safe.

We all understand that a 'live' battery cannot walk or multiply. :D With viruses, it's not so clear.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Moem wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:35 am
I disagree. Calling viruses 'alive' or 'live' might give the impression that they can multiply or transport themselves without a host. Avoiding those terms helps make the differences between viruses and bacteria clearer, which also has consequences for how we should behave around them, in order to stay healthy and keep others safe.

We all understand that a 'live' battery cannot walk or multiply. :D With viruses, it's not so clear.
Well, calling a wire live could make someone think the wire might steal your wallet but that doesn't make the usage wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion but usage and dictionaries are with me. "Live" has the meaning of "active" just like "dead" has the meaning of "inactive" and it has no connotation of biological life and this usage is well established in the English language.

A "live round" as opposed to a blank. A live wire is active. Anything set and prepared to do its thing can be said to be "live" like an alarm, an ammunition round, etc.

Doctors and biologists refer to "live vaccines" when they contain actual viruses as opposed to containing only proteins and other virus "parts". If doctors and biologists use it that way your argument is with them, not with me. You can tell them they are saying it all wrong. I am not a doctor.

And all that is not even taking into account that there is no universally accepted definition of life and a definition which included viruses could be used. Viruses are born/created, they reproduce and then they become dead/destroyed. That would be sufficient to meet some definitions of life.

No one believes walking is a necessary requirement for life or else all plants, especially tomato plants, would all be dead. And as for multiplying, viruses multiply faster than we would like and that is the problem we are facing.

If someone says " it kills the virus" I understand perfectly that it means the virus is destroyed and rendered incapable of reproducing. I cannot imagine any misunderstanding.

Again, I am just stating what current accepted common usage is.

Now, If someone said to me "there is a bare electrical wire in that corner and my mother sitting in her chair on the other corner and one of them is live and the other one is not"... well, then, yes, I might ask for more details in order to avoid confusion. Is your mother wired into the panel with a white or a black conductor?
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Hey, we can just disagree, you don't need to write a dissertation to defend your point of view. We disagree. It's fine. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

GS3 wrote:

IMHO, the use of "live" is perfectly cromulent. In a strict, biological sense "live" may have a more restricted sense but in common language "live" also means "active". We talk about "live wires", "live CDs", "dead batteries", etc. which obviously do not meet the biological criteria of "life". So IMHO it is not wrong to say "live virus" to mean one still capable of phrucking up your life to the point of taking it.
I love this forum, even at 78 y/o I am still learning things that I never heard of in school.

had to do a search for that word, found it 'funny' :)
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:29 pm
GS3 wrote:

cromulent.
I love this forum, even at 78 y/o I am still learning things that I never heard of in school.

I'm over 10 years younger but I've been studying my language peripatetically for most of my life and I'd never heard of it either. :lol:
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

PhilAypee wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:11 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
GS3 wrote:

cromulent.

I'm over 10 years younger but I've been studying my language peripatetically for most of my life and I'd never heard of it either. :lol:
what a hoot!
had to look that one up too while I was walking over to the Dictionary. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:35 am
Not necessarily. I once saw a battery waddling in a perfectly cromulent way down an aisle in a Walmart. You'd be amazed at the s**t you see in a Walmart.
AZgl1500 wrote:

PhilAypee wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:25 pm
what a hoot!
had to look that one up too while I was walking over to the Dictionary. :mrgreen:
It's double plus good, eh, isn't it?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Not necessarily. I once saw a battery waddling in a perfectly cromulent way down an aisle in a Walmart. You'd be amazed at the s**t you see in a Walmart.

Yep--probably true since they have absolutely no TP.
AZgl1500 wrote:

PhilAypee wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
what a hoot!
It's double plus good, eh, isn't it?
a cromulent was a Star Trek charachter. :wink:
libera ab tyrannis

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

AZgl1500 wrote:
PhilAypee wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:

what a hoot!
That is my strategy for avoiding anything I don't like - well, that and jazz. Right now I'm listening to (and watching courtesy of YouTube) Ben Webster accompanied by Oscar Peterson, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and probably Martin Drew.

I'm happy sitting here listening, smoking my pipe and sipping a Jura single malt - and writing this post. 8)

Who wouldn't be :?:
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

At least now I know what I was missing by never having watched the Simpsons.....:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

here's a monkey wrench thrown into the corona-v machine:
mosquitoes are now on the rise. they multiply after the rains and bite us all in the summer. they carry human blood and spread it around to other humans.
haven't heard any scientists talk about viruses spread by mosquitoes that maybe this could be a great vessel for covid-19 also.

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

trytip wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:54 pm
here's a monkey wrench thrown into the corona-v machine:
mosquitoes are now on the rise. they multiply after the rains and bite us all in the summer. they carry human blood and spread it around to other humans.
haven't heard any scientists talk about viruses spread by mosquitoes that maybe this could be a great vessel for covid-19 also.
Isn't this the reason so many people hoarded all the TP so they can wrap themselves in it protecting themselves from the critters?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote:
Here you go: https://www.mosquito.org/news/492656/Ca ... avirus.htm Sounds like a 'no'.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:52 am
trytip wrote:
Here you go: https://www.mosquito.org/news/492656/Ca ... avirus.htm Sounds like a 'no'.
Welcome to the online community. Because of the built-in security features, you must first register and be approved before accessing many site sections. If you are not a member of the site yet, please register - we'd love you to be part of our online community.
i don't trust a site that needs login to read an article. or maybe your link was while you were logged in? but still saw that article is a month old before the page asked me for passwords. if it wasn't written yesterday and we'll see this summer, i don't trust one source. you know what they say get a second opinion

rjsrjs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rjsrjs »

STAY AWAY FROM YA'ALL :roll:

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Strange, I did not have to log in. But here's where they got it from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... th-busters
They also quoted the CDC who are saying:
• Mosquitoes and ticks can’t spread all types of viruses.
• At this time, we have no data to suggest that COVID-19 or other similar coronaviruses (e.g. SARS, MERS) are spread by mosquitoes or ticks.
• For a virus to pass to a person through a mosquito or tick bite, the virus must be able to replicate inside the mosquito or tick.

Return to “Open chat”