What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Chat about just about anything else
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Re: What is your strategy for avoiding COVID-19 ?

Post by lsemmens »

Moem wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 am
lsemmens wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 am
My strategy is not to catch it
That's not a strategy, that's your desired end result. Okay, you were probably going for a humorous effect...
Yes, it was humorous effect. FYI, my wife is currently in ICU, not expected to live for too much longer. I have kids in different states who have travelled to see her. They must "suit up" to enter the ICU not so much for mum, but for the other staff. Because they are from another state, the only way that I am allowed to see them is from a distance, too.

It is very real to me. All I can say is "sh** happens, it makes great fertiliser, you can grow lovely flowers in sh**!" :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants, cafes to be eased in first step outlined by Australian National Cabinet:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-08/ ... n/12227434

which will be very nice, as the nearby Local Border Check Point,
- may be eased, somewhat.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

lsemmens, very sorry to hear about your wife.

In case it matters, I was not scolding you for making light of the situation. I'm just a very literal thinker with a very different sense of humour than you seem to have, is all.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hello lsemmens, Likewise, I am also saddened to hear of your wifes condition and realise the kind of toll that it must be taking on not only yourself, but your entire family at this time...my prayers to you and yours...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:20 am
Moem wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 am
lsemmens wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 am
My strategy is not to catch it
That's not a strategy, that's your desired end result. Okay, you were probably going for a humorous effect...
Yes, it was humorous effect. FYI, my wife is currently in ICU, not expected to live for too much longer. I have kids in different states who have travelled to see her. They must "suit up" to enter the ICU not so much for mum, but for the other staff. Because they are from another state, the only way that I am allowed to see them is from a distance, too.

It is very real to me. All I can say is "sh** happens, it makes great fertiliser, you can grow lovely flowers in sh**!" :D
Isemmens;
I know where you are coming from with your humorous statements, it is about the only way that my daughter and I could keep on going when her mom became ill and lived her last 5 months in hospital, never to see home again.
that was 27 Feb 2017 and we have come to grips with it, because she is out of pain now....

I'm 78 and doing the stay at home thing for the most part. I get out once in a while, but try and make a point of not getting too close to folks that I don't know.

as of today, our state has been "open for business" now 5 days, with the admonishment to take precautions.
Traffic is up almost to normal, people are going back to work if they were a permanent employee.

Temporary helpers/laborers are just lost in the system. Starving because they did not get the Stimulus Checks mailed out to all who filed income taxes last year and before that.

the Herd Immunity is talked about here a great deal. the example being used is the homeless on the streets, sleeping in boxes and tents.... we are not getting reports of those folks coming down with Covid.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

@lsemmens: very sorry to hear that.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

In the past couple of days, there has been some discussion amongst Dutch doctors whether resveratrol might help a bit against the complications induced by a Corona virus infection. Thus perhaps alleviating the course of the disease, and possibly preventing the need for IC treatment. Provided patients start taking it at the beginning of their disease (as soon as the first symptoms appear).

In particular because resveratrol could reduce the amount of leptin in the blood. A lot of leptin in the blood, which is often the case for obese people, increases thrombosis risk. Which in its turn plays a role in the breathing difficulties of Corona patients.

Furthermore, resveratrol (a natural ingredient in some common food items) has little side effects and resveratrol capsules can be bought cheaply without medical prescription.

More scientific research is needed, that's the consensus after the discussion. But in the meantime all resveratrol capsules in The Netherlands have been sold out....

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks guys, I, appreciate your thoughts. Eldest is travelling Down from Darwin to South Australia at the moment, The police have pulled him over several times, presumably to make sure that he remains on his "flight plan". Daughter drove down from Brisbane and had to show evidence that she was travelling with good reason when she crossed the border. The Hospital are ensuring that all kids get some time with mum even though the interstate ones have to wear masks. Today is likely the day we have to say our final farewells. Fortunately COVID has been a nuisance to us an nothing more.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

that's not good, lsemmens, but at least the Police are allowing them through the various checkpoints.

hopefully, you will be able to get together, with all of them, even in these trying circumstances.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I'm still very concerned about the overall effects on our health from having coronavirus, even if you have mild symptoms, we still know so little about how it weakens our body. Stuff like this:

Coronavirus: 'Healthy' 21-year-old spent weeks in hospital:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-52572794

And with kids set to go back to school there is that other emerging concern:

'Kawasaki-like disease: Coronavirus risks for children':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52003804

I think for the current time, even as i understand the economic pressures of 'return to work', i won't be sending my kid back to school at the likely government suggested time. The virus dies when no new hosts get infected, so i will carry on with that being my first and strongest line of defence in the battle against the virus.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by old_noob »

lsemmens, my sympathies as well. Cannot imagine what it's like as I have yet to be in that situation. Honestly, kinda hope I go first. My wife is a tough cookie and will get over it better than me.

As for avoidance, we have surrounded our 10 acres with high powered (goat strength) electric fencing and make regular patrols. If anyone gets within 50 yards of the line we spray them with boiling hot bleach.

Seriously, we mostly stay at home, which is pretty isolated. My last 6 weeks have consisted of telework ( a lot of it busywork). I work in a government lab and we have been granted limited access in the last week. No more than 5 people in the building at a time, no more than one person in a single laboratory and each lab has its own HVAC. The facility normally houses about 60 workers but office workers will not be allowed in before at least July. The protocol is to mask and glove up before leaving your car, cannot remove mask until safely locked in your own lab so no one can enter unexpectedly. Most of us douse the room with isopropyl alcohol as soon as we enter and keep a spray bottle handy for doorknobs, etc. Using the bathroom is the scariest part of the day. Put on mask and gloves, spray the door handle before entering, bolt the door, spray the facilities you will be using, sanitize gloves, do the business, sanitize gloves again, re-enter lab, wash hands and put on fresh gloves. So I feel safe at work. We have refined paranoia to a high art, and so far there are no infections within our agency. The weak link is that outside janitorial staff are still coming in some evenings, hence our liberal use of disinfectant.

My wife's kennel is about 95% closed. She grooms a few dogs, out of sympathy for client's dogs more than for money. The client drives up, masks up, leaves the dog in a crate in the front office, and someone retrieves it a few minutes later after the client has left. Same protocol later in the day. The first thing that happens to the dog is a bath, so fairly safe with a little care.

I agree with Pjotr that grocery shopping is our most hazardous activity. Stores can be crowded. Our local market has one-way lanes but many ignore the arrows. At least everyone is masking up now. I do the shopping for 2 households about every 2.5 weeks. Mask and gloves, jacket, even in warm weather, do not wear watch or jewelry, bring only a credit card into the store. The store supplies disinfectant to spray down carts. Do the shopping, no bags at checkout, just put items back in the cart. Put items into crates in the car, sanitize hands and go home. Wipe each item with Clorox wipes and hand it off to someone in the house. Enter the house via the laundry room door, strip, throw clothes in the washer and head to the shower immediately. Any items I carried with me or mail gets thrown in a drawer in the laundry room, not to be opened until the next day. Then a tumbler of Scotch for internal sanitation :)

Most of our home protocol is the result of my wife's experience containing kennel cough in dogs (non-lethal but extraordinarily contagious). We have successfully managed several outbreaks via isolation and careful hygiene and have applied the same attitude to our daily lives in this time.

old_noob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by old_noob »

p.s. Hopefully one good thing that comes out of this horrible situation is that people will remain more diligent with personal hygiene after this is over. This could result in a lot fewer colds, flu and food poisoning in the future. Certainly, if I have a cold 2 years from now and need to go out in public, I will wear a mask and be careful how I touch things. My cold may not kill anyone but no one needs it either.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

this thread should now be renamed to "What is your strategy for living with COVID-19 ?" you will never completely avoid it, but we all have to live with it from now until the end of time. along the way we'll pick up a few more viruses if the china doesn't stop messing with things they can't handle

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

trytip wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:49 am
this thread should now be renamed to "What is your strategy for living with COVID-19 ?" you will never completely avoid it, but we all have to live with it from now until the end of time.
Nope; vaccines are on their way. Expect a Covid-19 vaccine to be part of the mix in the regular seasonal flu jab in the autumn of 2021. :mrgreen:
trytip wrote:
along the way we'll pick up a few more viruses if the china doesn't stop messing with things they can't handle
Yes. Changes are necessary in China. That's step 1. And in the industrial cattle farming in all countries, including our own. That's step 2. Otherwise sh*t like this will keep hitting the world from time to time, which is clearly unacceptable.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Pjotr wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:03 am
trytip wrote:
this thread should now be renamed to "What is your strategy for living with COVID-19 ?" you will never completely avoid it, but we all have to live with it from now until the end of time.
Nope; vaccines are on their way. Expect a Covid-19 vaccine to be part of the mix in the regular seasonal flu jab in the autumn of 2021. :mrgreen:
suuure they are on their way, scientists and researchers are trying to use vaccines for other viruses and medication for other diseases instead of creating one tailored for corona-v
we keep hearing about tests being available and vaccines in trials, but i have yet to go into a store and buy a test or a vaccine
why would i go to the doctor and get tested there surrounded by the infected trying to avoid contact, when i could take this swab or blood test in my home?

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

IF,
Bill Gates has anything to do with the Vaccine, I will run like hell and stay away from it.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 am
IF,
Bill Gates has anything to do with the Vaccine, I will run like hell and stay away from it.
Bill Gates knows a few things about viruses :mrgreen: why would you not trust a guy that didn't develop his own product but made billions from it?

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I do not trust Mr. Gates with my computer operating systems, I would never trust him with my life with his vaccines either...BSOD no matter how you look at it...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

SpongebobFan1994
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:41 am
IF,
If it came to that, I'd most-likely become the real life version of the Punisher and exterminate anyone who trying to force the vaccine onto anyone else :lol:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Come on guys.... If there was a safe and effective vaccine, I'd want it even if it came from North Korea. :mrgreen:

Return to “Open chat”