Chat about just about anything else
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Re: which browser you prefer

Post by Swampthing »

In Linux : Firefox
In Windows : Chrome
In MacOs : Safari (and Chrome for Youtube videos)

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

jp14 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm
I prefer Pale Moon. I only use another browser if I'm forced to, and in that case I use Basilisk
ok which planet u from? :mrgreen:
just kidding ,never heard of those browsers
Pale Moon has been around for at least 8 years or so. I prefer not to be a sheep and use Chrome or any based on it.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Umm - - Firefox :!: coz that's what the System came with 8)

but, also coz I'm like tinkering about:
- Vivaldi
- PaleMoon
- Chrome
- Brave

but, I'd still prefer using Firefox, coz I've been using that, the longest time.
:)
and Edge :?: when it's available on an Linux download, probably - just coz I can .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Crazy Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have been using Brave exclusively on my Android phone. Works fantastic. I just loaded Brave on my Mint USB drive but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

It is not just which browser that one prefers, but also which search engine do you prefer in tandem with that browser, duckduckgo, startpage, etc...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

Crazy Horse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crazy Horse »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:39 am
It is not just which browser that one prefers, but also which search do you prefer in tandem with that browser, duckduckgo, startpage, etc...DAMIEN
I use DuckduckGo which I think is the default for the Brave browser.

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:39 am
It is not just which browser that one prefers, but also which search do you prefer in tandem with that browser, duckduckgo, startpage, etc...DAMIEN
Since I worked in and retired from the maritime industry, along with my saltwater hobbies (standup paddle board surfing), I use the Ekoru search engine which helps raise funds for ocean cleanup.

https://ekoru.org/
Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce 64 Bit

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I've been a fan of Firefox for some time. At one of my jobs, they use Chrome (because of a custom written extension) but Chromium also can run that extension so, I occasionally have to use it as well... I have no need for other browsers...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom »

Firefox / Firefox-ESR whichever one comes as the default browser.

ObiSandwich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ObiSandwich »

Pale Moon & Basilisk

mino9421
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mino9421 »

jp14 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:01 pm
just curious why people choose certain browsers over another .
from what i see most Linux users prefer Firefox,maybe cause its pre-installed ?
some uses Chrome ,cause that's what they used to ? (from Windows whatever)
i myself used just about every browser out there ,cause i'm a curious kinda guy lol.
but at the end of the day i'm now stuck on Brave browser,it does everything i want beautifully ,it's fast ,and most important ,it's the most privacy orientated browser out there today.
so ,what's your choice of browser and why ?
its preference, they all deliver same thing miliseconds dont matter that much,
some users prefer arch other prefer debian other prefer xyz. Its the same concept everything in the industry will have flavours for difference type of people and tastes.
some will provide privacy for the price of the speed, others will provide best dev tools for the price of something else, other will claim to be the fastest for the price of another thing... you get the trend

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

It's just this moment struck me that threads such as this one give me the impression that I'm just some casual, pedestrian user of web browsers compared to just about everyone else.

What is it that "everyone" else is doing which either informs or otherwise affects their choice of browser?
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi Portreve. As for me, i use both slimjet as well as brave browsers using startpage as search engine...the reasons why are better security fine tuning through the settings as well as instantaneous speed of these 2 browsers with the systems ive installed them on and also avoiding the bloat of FF and the spying/intrusions of google chrome browsers...on both of these browser i am using "duckduckgo privacy essentials" extension which works like dynamite blowing up a bridge, as well as "ublock origin" and "privacy possum" extensions as well...it all works like greased lightening for me because of the way i have them setup...since i spend much time using a browser, i wanted what to me was the safest, most secure and speedy browsers i could find and i have tried them all...These were the best of the best,(At least in my opinion), of all of them...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Portreve wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:36 am
It's just this moment struck me that threads such as this one give me the impression that I'm just some casual, pedestrian user of web browsers compared to just about everyone else.

What is it that "everyone" else is doing which either informs or otherwise affects their choice of browser?
for me, that answer is simple.

None of the other browsers handle Bookmarks "Properly", and have the ease of adding Extensions the way Firefox does.

I have several browsers loaded in my menu, and I don't like any of them, they are there simply so that I can leave the "current page" in Firefox and it not get lost, while I explore some odd thought in a different browser that will NOT try to log into the same page that I am viewing.....

As a moderator, that is critical for me, I need to see what a newbie is complaining about, that I don't see as a Registered user.... and I try to use the browser that he/she is using.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

Portreve wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:36 am

I think it might be one of those things that you won't know unless you try. I guess it's not that different than choosing Linux over Windows. Many people are happy to use Windows because that's what they're used to, and that's the only way they know a computer works. I think it's hard to explain why some different feature is 'better'. You kind of need to try it and see if it feels right. Or at least see if it gives you a different perspective on why a design choice was chosen and why it might be more efficient for you if you try something a different way. And, of course, not immediately dismiss it as 'wrong' because something is not done the way you're used to.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:16 am
...None of the other browsers handle Bookmarks "Properly", and have the ease of adding Extensions the way Firefox does...
Please define properly.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:31 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
...None of the other browsers handle Bookmarks "Properly", and have the ease of adding Extensions the way Firefox does...
Please define properly.
ALT-B opens Bookmarks, and you can use the Kybd to select a bookmark to open;
Show-All opens Library and that allows you to sort, move, managed the bookmarks;
^D creates a bookmark, and is honored some other browsers also, you can place that Bookmark where you want it with "choose"
^J opens Downloads so you can see what you have downloaded recently

And Extensions? pretty much self explanatory if you have tried to manage extensions in any other browser than Firefox.

And I am an olde codger, and I hate change :wink: .... Firefox forever, to hell with everything else. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:19 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Please define properly.
Show-All opens Library and that allows you to sort, move, managed the bookmarks;
^D creates a bookmark, and is honored some other browsers also, you can place that Bookmark where you want it with "choose"

And Extensions? pretty much self explanatory if you have tried to manage extensions in any other browser than Firefox.

And I am an olde codger, and I hate change :wink: .... Firefox forever, to hell with everything else. :mrgreen:
Curious. I'm probably older than you and I'm not fond of change, either, unless it benefits me. I don't see how all the extra key strokes make using bookmarks easier. I just click on a bookmark in the bookmark bar and it automagically takes me there. If I need to access a bookmark in the "overflow" area, it takes only one more click. It couldn't be simpler.

I have never found an extension I ever needed.
Jeannie

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AZgl1500 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:44 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:19 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

Please define properly.

Curious. I'm probably older than you and I'm not fond of change, either, unless it benefits me. I don't see how all the extra key strokes make using bookmarks easier. I just click on a bookmark in the bookmark bar and it automagically takes me there. If I need to access a bookmark in the "overflow" area, it takes only one more click. It couldn't be simpler.

I have never found an extension I ever needed.
Extensions: not a robot, uBlock Origin, No Trace, LastPass, HTPPS Everywhere, FoxIt Reader, EasyTorrent Downloader.

I hate the Bookmarks Toolbar, it takes us needed visual space on a laptop.
I use the New Tab page for websites that I repeatedly go to multiple times a day, 4 rows times 6 is a lot of daily bookmarks. I probably use about half of the on a given day.

age? I am 78

I have been geeking with computers since the Motorola 6820, 2 digit Hex keypad was released. wrote a few programs on that, bit by bit, on a 128 byte memory chip. even at that, it monitored my brother's shop and called the cops if a door or window opened and he was not there.

bought the Tandy keyboard computer, hated the 300 baud audio tape backup, slow? ants are faster.
been thru it all except for not learning Unix... wish I had done that back in 1968 when IBM asked me twice to work for them, that was one hell of a wrong decision then.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

OK, you beat me on age though not by much.

Extensions: not a robot - How long does it take to click on a box?

uBlock Origin - Brave browser has an excellent ad blocker

No Trace - Brave has a tracking blocker. Tracking blockers can limit website access if too stringent. I've had no trouble with Brave's.

LastPass - Brave has a pass word manager

HTPPS Everywhere - Brave has that too.

FoxIt Reader - Brave has the ability to read PDFs from a website. It can even work as a virtual printer for PDFs instead of printing from a website. I have a full featured PDF creation/editing program (Qoppa PDF Studio Pro) I also use as a reader for PDFs on my computer

EasyTorrent Downloader. Brave has an easy to use Torrent browser.

On my new 17" laptop with a 1080 display, the Bookmark bar takes up a whopping 5/16" of the screen (I eliminated the Title bar). On the rare occasions I need more screen real estate, I can easily temporarily drop the panel and, if I ever need even more room, the Bookmark bar. On my old 15" notebooks, I was more likely to zoom out but I haven't had to do any of that on the new 17".

I keep Firefox as a backup browser but it must feel like it's the Maytag repairman. I can't remember the last time I actually used it. I never liked FireFox. I found it clumsy to use compared to other browsers, such as Brave and IE11.

I got my start on the Commodore Plus 4 which was quickly replaced with a Commodore C64c. I also wrote a few programs for the Commodore that enabled my to use the then new 3.5" floppy drives as HDDs.
Jeannie

Return to “Open chat”