Level 4
Level 4

Re: which browser you prefer

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Pepi wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 am
When a website tells me to use a different browser, I use a different website. If a website's tech help recommends Google Chrome, I impolitely tell them no way.
Your banking account :mrgreen:
I'm not sure what you meant but if my "bank" (I use a credit union, not a bank; banks are too avaricious) said I had to use Google Chrome or some browser other than the one I prefer, I would get a new "bank".
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

Pepi wrote:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
When a website tells me to use a different browser, I use a different website. If a website's tech help recommends Google Chrome, I impolitely tell them no way.
My Bank tried that but I found a work-around. :lol:
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

JTemple wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:11 am
kenetics wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:58 pm
I use chromium for general browsing and a fortified firefox for just commerce and banking. I like to keep those two uses separated.
What is "fortified" firefox?
Add-on's like ublock origin, privacy badger, DuckDuckGo privacy essentials, etc. I don't save important passwords.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

Synthetase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synthetase »

JTemple wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 am
Synthetase wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 am
Firefox. Been using it since ~1.2 (ish?). Love it. I'm a web dev and use it for development every day.
What search engine do you use? After all, if you get Google to do the search on Firefox, your not much further ahead.
DuckDuckGo is my main goto. I will use Google occasionally for difficult-to-find stuff, but that's rare.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm
Pepi wrote:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
I'm not sure what you meant but if my "bank" (I use a credit union, not a bank; banks are too avaricious) said I had to use Google Chrome or some browser other than the one I prefer, I would get a new "bank".
It's not the 'Flavour' of browser, it's they check to make sure you are patched with the newest security updates.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Pepi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:50 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm
Pepi wrote:

It's not the 'Flavour' of browser, it's they check to make sure you are patched with the newest security updates.
Hunh?
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Pepi wrote:
I wish this statement were true, but alas, it is not.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

Schultz wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm
Pepi wrote:
I wish this statement were true, but alas, it is not.
What do you mean? When you connect to a web server via your browser the server can check what browser and version your are running. If you are running a version that is outdated or called out for security problems the site can block you with a message to upgrade.

I just got a letter from 3M company telling me I can't use Microsoft Explorer on the retire site starting in Jun. I just tested it today with Windows 7 and I cannot get on with MS Explorer. Tells me to use Firefox, Chrome or Safari

soundchaser59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by soundchaser59 »

I use Opera because it's the only browser that preserves all of the functionality but doesn't bog down or overwhelm my old outdated and inadequate hardware. It's nice having searchable bookmarks. It handles everything that I've ever tried to do in firefux.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Pepi wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:21 am
What do you mean? When you connect to a web server via your browser the server can check what browser and version your are running.
ANY website you visit can see what webbrowser, what sort of operating system you use and the location (city). For this particular thread the information about your browser is important and Microsoft Internet Explorer has been officially abandoned by Microsoft in 2015. Windows7 is no longer supported. And because Safari is not supported in Linux, you either have a choice of Google Chrome (or Chromium) or Firefox or one of it's Firefox based alternatives. Edge is another "alternative".

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

What I mean is that a lot of websites only check for the big two browsers totally ignoring all other browsers, and then because it's an unrecognized browser it either serves a mobile version of the website, or they don't even work at all. Google is truly a monopoly that needs broken up.
Pepi wrote:
I just got a letter from 3M company telling me I can't use Microsoft Explorer on the retire site starting in Jun. I just tested it today with Windows 7 and I cannot get on with MS Explorer. Tells me to use Firefox, Chrome or Safari
My whole point. There are more browsers out there than this (I don't mean "clones" like Brave, ChrEdge, Waterfox, etc.).

AFKhero008
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AFKhero008 »

Hey guys this is AFKhero008| i Mostly prefer chromium cause it is like chrome but much faster than chrome on low end systems and it is available in the soft ware store. which browser to use is personal preference but the users who are coming from windows or used chrome in most of their live they will be easily browse the internet.

detimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by detimo »

jp14 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:01 pm
just curious why people choose certain browsers over another .
from what i see most Linux users prefer Firefox,maybe cause its pre-installed ?
some uses Chrome ,cause that's what they used to ? (from Windows whatever)
i myself used just about every browser out there ,cause i'm a curious kinda guy lol.
but at the end of the day i'm now stuck on Brave browser,it does everything i want beautifully ,it's fast ,and most important ,it's the most privacy orientated browser out there today.
so ,what's your choice of browser and why ?
I don't actually like any browser. Firefox takes to much of the desktop space, it got more minimal but still a bit to much. Chrome eats to much of my memory. eww (emacs) doesn't show the css right. Vivaldi is closed source, so I don't like running it on my pc. Falkon is nice but no ad blocker. The same problem with Qutebrowser, but Qutebrowser is really cool.

antikythera
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antikythera »

I use Google Chrome because it works perfectly for my needs and is much faster than FF Quantum at processing site scripts on websites I use a lot for work. So I guess I prefer it.

I am aware of people's issues with Google with regards data usage and search monitoring but ALL browser developers do that. It is how they can afford to give you a browser 'free'. Better the devil you know?

Also both my machines have hardware accelerated rendering and playback working perfectly with Chrome on Linux:

Code: Select all

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Hardware accelerated
Flash: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
Compositing: Hardware accelerated
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Out-of-process Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
OpenGL: Enabled
Hardware Protected Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
Rasterization: Hardware accelerated on all pages
Skia Renderer: Enabled
Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
Vulkan: Disabled
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zshlover »

antikythera wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:23 pm
I am aware of people's issues with Google with regards data usage and search monitoring but ALL browser developers do that. It is how they can afford to give you a browser 'free'. Better the devil you know?
With a Market Cap: billions it's not free, just paying in a different way. All your data is collected, this seems to be the norm nowadays, except in Europe where there's strict regulations. Even websites started doing this (linkedin, reddit etc)

Does Chrome run well on your computer? In my pc it eats up all the memory :(
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt

antikythera
Level 3
Level 3

Post by antikythera »

Nope, memory and resource usage seem fine. Also my point about user tracking is that it cannot really be avoided any longer unless people want to start paying to use their browser and such online sites supported by advertising that they frequent regularly. Yes you can use script and adblockers but more and more sites recognise them now and refuse to load content with them enabled or hide content behind messages saying to support the site or bugger off ;)

upload images
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

Right now, I'm using Chrome (on a Windows PC) and both Firefox and Brave on Linux PC's. Both Firefox and Brave appear and feel faster than Chrome but that may be a Linux vs Windows matter. Brace is a very clean interface and I like the built-in adblocker. I was also surprised by it's Bittorrent client functionality. Hard to choose between them but Brave is looking attractive.
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 20 Ulyana Cinnamon 4.6.6

Return to “Open chat”