which browser you prefer

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jp14
Level 3
Level 3

which browser you prefer

Post by jp14 »

just curious why people choose certain browsers over another .
from what i see most Linux users prefer Firefox,maybe cause its pre-installed ?
some uses Chrome ,cause that's what they used to ? (from Windows whatever)
i myself used just about every browser out there ,cause i'm a curious kinda guy lol.
but at the end of the day i'm now stuck on Brave browser,it does everything i want beautifully ,it's fast ,and most important ,it's the most privacy orientated browser out there today.
so ,what's your choice of browser and why ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 19.3 Xfce

Cause I like things neat and simple
mmphosis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: which browser you prefer

Post by mmphosis »

I prefer Firefox. It was already installed in LMDE4. I've been using Chromium on other Linux distributions for work because it is a little snappier, although I am happy to say that Firefox seems really snappy in Linux Mint. I try to avoid using browsers that don't respect privacy. Firefox allows for customization.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

jp14 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:01 pm but at the end of the day i'm now stuck on Brave browser,it does everything i want beautifully ,it's fast ,and most important ,it's the most privacy orientated browser out there today.
Are you sure about that?

I haven't looked into it too deeply, but some of Brave's practices seem a bit underhanded. It does seem like they are advertising themselves as the most privacy-focused browser out there. Doesn't mean that they are.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

the web's crawled upon
that box by a Vulpini
servant of the flame
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

That question's interesting to me at the moment.

For quite a while I've used Firefox but somehow I've managed to alter its settings so that it no longer keeps me logged in to sites like this. 😕️ So I now use Opera more than Firefox.

But both are good.

By the way I'd prefer to sort out my Firefox problem myself but I will post the solution for anyone with a similar problem. 😏
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

The best thing about Firefox is being able to put the menu at the top, where it is obvious, especially Bookmarks. The disadvantage is some pages don't quite render properly. Bad programming by the designer(s) of such pages.

Yes, Chrome, Vivaldi and Brave are in the panel (Taskbar) if needed / wanted.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I wrote a lengthy reply to this about 3 hours ago, and it is just gone?
I hit Submit and saw it, but it is missing now... :| :cry:

I've been a Firefox user since its' inception, and the OS has nothing to do with why I use it.
  • The bookmarking system is eon's ahead of the other browsers,
    the Library allows me to sort the Main Bookmarks and folders in the order that I choose.
    the Library allows me to search for topics with ease. 8)
    the Library allows me to makes .json backups w/ease, and to make a HTML file of the bookmarks so that I can distribute a Selected topic of bookmarks to my friends with similar interests. 8) 8)
the way it handles Extensions is far better than other browsers, easy and intuitive :)

Sync is a terrific thing, all of my Firefox apps have the same exact set of preferences, Tabs, and Bookmarks, regardless of OS. :D

The Option Titles across the top are exactly where they should be. Not on the side, or buried in a hidden dock :twisted:

About:config allows me to fine tune it to my specific requirements. :wink: :wink:

I have Opera, Vivaldi and 'Web' sitting in the Menu when I want to login to a website where I am already logged in as the Administrator.... this allows me to check out a user complaint....

Opera has one advantage that keeps it on my Menu, VPN is incorporated in it as a stock item.

I have tried VPNs in the OS, and invariably they cause me problems, so I just uninstalled them.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I prefer Firefox, too. I've tried others: Brave, Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Palemoon, Vivaldi but always return to Firefox.

I like my Boolmarks saved to Folders (see screenshot) and it is easy to arrange this in Firefox.
Bookmark Folders - Firefox.png
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

tenfoot wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:57 am I prefer Firefox, too. I've tried others: Brave, Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Palemoon, Vivaldi but always return to Firefox.

I like my Bookmarks saved to Folders (see screenshot) and it is easy to arrange this in Firefox.

Bookmark Folders - Firefox.png
lordy, I have over 5,000 bookmarks, grouped into folders.
but I like what you have done..... just put the favorite folders up....
never counted my folders, but I must have well over 300 in just my Motorcycle group.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I prefer the Brave Browser. I keep Firefox as an almost never used backup.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I like Firefox's extensions, but I wish Firefox was as secure as Brave out-of-the-box. I'm not a fan of Firefox having tracking and logging features turned on by default.
I use Palemoon browser. Right now it's a good compromise, but for mobile it's Brave.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

ugly wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:52 pm
I haven't looked into it too deeply, but some of Brave's practices seem a bit underhanded.
Name one.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I've been using windows Pale Moon in Windows 7 since 2011. I find it more customizable out of the box without any coding manipulation. When linux Pale Moon was publicly released in January of 2014, this is when I began using Pale Moon in Mint.

I too have a lot of bookmarks and I keep many of them in folders. Below is my screenshot of what my linux Pale Moon looks like just by working with the Customization window when viewed on my 27" external monitor since my everyday computer is a desktop tower machine.

I'm also using a Pale Moon theme named, "Micro Moon" since this theme allows many folders on the Bookmarks Toolbar in Pale Moon. This theme along with the Customization window gives me lots of vertical space for viewing.
Attachments
Pale Moon SS-1366.png
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:49 pm I wrote a lengthy reply to this about 3 hours ago, and it is just gone?
I hit Submit and saw it, but it is missing now... :| :cry:

There was no reply. It was light bouncing off swamp gas reflected by a weather balloon.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
jp14
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jp14 »

lordy, I have over 5,000 bookmarks, grouped into folders
:shock:
how long does it take you to track down a bookmarked site?? :mrgreen:
LM 19.3 Xfce

ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

MartyMint wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:33 am Name one.
For example, advertising themselves as a privacy focused browser that blocks ads.

That doesn't seem entirely true. They talk a lot about ad replacement, where they use ads from an alternate ad network to replace regular ads. While they say the data they use to deliver the ads is an anonymous aggregate from their users, that still implies that there is tracking of what users are looking at.

So that does not seem particularly like a privacy-focused browser.

There were also some concerns about: Brave's whitelisting process
busdriver12
Level 3
Level 3

Post by busdriver12 »

Firefox has been my browser of choice for almost 15 years since I moved over from Netscape.

To be honest, I've not used any other browser for any length of time besides Firefox. I do keep a copy of Google Chrome as alternate browser for those occasions when things don't quite work in Firefox (which is rare). Come to think of it, maybe I should ditch Chrome as an alternate and try something else for privacy's sake.

Put simply, it works and it works well i.e. if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I was pleasantly surprised when I installed Linux Mint last year to have Firefox bring over all my bookmarks, extentions etc so that it looks and works the same as the installation I had in Windows 7. I particularly love the syncing across platforms as I now have it installed on Linux, two flavours of Windows and two Android devices. I keep most of my bookmarks on the toobar for ease of use, and have installed the Container extension for enhanced privacy.

All in all, a great browser - it does what I want and have no reason to look elsewhere.
Phil

Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0.4
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I prefer Pale Moon. I only use another browser if I'm forced to, and in that case I use Basilisk.
jp14
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jp14 »

I prefer Pale Moon. I only use another browser if I'm forced to, and in that case I use Basilisk
ok which planet u from? :mrgreen:
just kidding ,never heard of those browsers
LM 19.3 Xfce

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

jp14 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm
I prefer Pale Moon. I only use another browser if I'm forced to, and in that case I use Basilisk
ok which planet u from? :mrgreen:
just kidding ,never heard of those browsers
Agreed.

From the web (Firefox browser, Google finder)
Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox with substantial divergence.
https://www.palemoon.org/

Basilisk is an open-source web browser created by the developer of the Pale Moon browser.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
This browser is created and maintained by the team behind Pale Moon, and is a fully independent fork of the Mozilla/Firefox code.

Return to “Open Chat”